Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Disc wheel out of true

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stenard

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 4:35 pm    Post subject: Disc wheel out of true Reply with quote

Can anything be done about a structural disc that's gone slightly out of true?

I have the fast forward carbon/alu disc:
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/fast-forward-carbonalloy-clincher-disc-rear-wheel/

Its not massively out, but you can see a little wobble at one particular point versus the brake pads when you spin it. Not sure when it happened, but became noticeable when social riding around mallorca after the 70.3. Descending down Sa Colabra was actually quite uncomfortable as the rear was "pulsing" and every time the bulge rotated round it felt like the rear would lock. This is despite it visibly only being a small wobble.

So, is there anything that can be done? There are obviously no spokes on a disc to re-true like with a normal wheel. Or is that the downside of a disc? Once they're out of true they can't be put back?
GrahamO

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like the wheel isnt out of true, but that there's a bulge - which arent really the same thing.

If its a simple bulge at one point only, like a blister, then you could try a claim with the supplier as it could be the carbon starting to de-laminate at one point but deep in the stricture of the wheel..
Chrace

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmmm......! Let me know how you get on, I got the same wheel. Smile

As far as I remember FFWD is Dutch and have a good track record of supporting their wares. Would it show on a photo or a small close-up video? Might be worth a punt sending them a polite email asking "is this normal and/or how do I fix it?". I find I get better results rather than starting with blame as they then want to keep you sweet.
stenard

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chrace wrote:
Hmmmmm......! Let me know how you get on, I got the same wheel. Smile

As far as I remember FFWD is Dutch and have a good track record of supporting their wares. Would it show on a photo or a small close-up video? Might be worth a punt sending them a polite email asking "is this normal and/or how do I fix it?". I find I get better results rather than starting with blame as they then want to keep you sweet.

I was already thinking of doing the short video approach. It is something you can see when looking closely at the wheel spinning next to the brake pads.
BMX

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you looked at it without a tyre on? Could it be just the alloy walls have bulged out after an impact, if they couldn't flat spot due to the carbon backup perhaps they went outwards instead?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Gear All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: