Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Morton's Neuroma

View previous topic :: View next topic  
grinder

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 3:02 pm    Post subject: Morton's Neuroma Reply with quote

Anyone have it or had it?
Any success with dealing with it, getting rid of it?
Tips for being able to run with it? Shoes etc?

Thanks
explorerJC

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah! It's that...

Caused by running, cycling or day shoes?

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2018 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
grinder

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think from both cycling & running but not definite

explorerJC wrote:
Ah! It's that...

explorerJC

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grinder wrote:
I think from both cycling & running but not definite

explorerJC wrote:
Ah! It's that...

That's your first port of call....establish the cause...

zx9pat

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I understand it - unless its surgically removed (last resort!) its not cureable.

However, I have it and I manage it pain free now - thankfully. I visited my tried and trusted podiatrist who cured my plantar fascitis and he prescribed me inexpensive orthotics which spread my feet/toes and eases the neuroma.

I adventure race so can spend a lot of time on my feet and I have no reocurrence of the pain since using the orthotics.

Untreated it will get worse - so professional advice to ease the discomfort and thereby ease the neuroma is essential going forward.
explorerJC

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zx9pat wrote:
A inexpensive orthotics which spread my feet/toes and eases the neuroma.

that will certainly help...may need these in your cycling shoes too...

grinder

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

However, I have it and I manage it pain free now - thankfully. I visited my tried and trusted podiatrist who cured my plantar fascitis and he prescribed me inexpensive orthotics which spread my feet/toes and eases the neuroma.

Thanks for the inf- which kind of orthotics? Were they custom made or bought over the counter?
zx9pat

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They were not over the counter type..........podiatrist ordered them in cut them to size to fit my shoe - they are if you like one step up from over the counter they have specified areas on the orthotic where it spreads my feet - they cost me all in with his consult and time to fit (5 mins!) etc. 160.00.

Boots did a version which had I not had a company health scheme that paid the 160.00 - I probably would have brought them to try first they were specifically aimed at neuroma and were about 29.99 -if you were worried about cost.

Now having been pain free for months 160.00 was the most worthwhile investment and that ultimately is the key - what is worth the cost your health to resume your activity?

Good luck in finding what works for you.
midsfella

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine was bought on by a new pair of trainers that turned out to be slightly narrower in the toe box area, causing a slight restriction when running.

I had No issues with the trainers (rubs or blisters etc) but once I returned to my old pair, the issue disappeared.
Mbehili

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm was a athletic trainer, so I have a bit of knowledge about stuff like this! A Morton's Neuroma is specifically between the 3rd and 4th metatarsals, although you can have neuromas in other areas, it's just not as common. Usually the number one symptom is pain, although there can be some numbness/tingling. The cramping isn't anything I've ever heard of being associated with a neuroma, but that doesn't mean it's not the case. A neuroma is basically just some nerve swelling, in the foot usually you get a little ball of nerves that flares up and causes problems.

Because it's soft tissue, an x-ray probably won't help with diagnosis, but they'll probably take one anyway just to see if anything else pops up. Usually the number one indicator is pain when the doctor palpates (feels around) between the metatarsals. Sometimes if the neuroma is large enough, they can actually feel a little ball in there. They may order an MRI to confirm, especially if they're not confident that it IS a neuroma.

The first course of treatment is usually a cortisone shot. Cortisone is an anti-inflammatory, so many times it can calm down the swelling and irritation enough to take care of the problem. If that doesn't work, then you may be looking at surgery to remove the neuroma. Sounds really bad, but it's a relatively easy surgery to recover from. Orthotics may also be attempted before surgery.

I had what I thought might be a neuroma several years ago. In my case, I wasn't really having a lot of pain, but I was getting numbness in my toes whenever. After having bought (or tried) too many shoes that don't fit well, I'm considering buying Bont shoes https://bestoutdooritems.com/best-running-shoes-for-mortons-neuroma-reviews/ The pain did start getting worse as we went through the course of trying to figure out what the heck was wrong with my foot. My podiatrist tried orthotics and the cortisone shot first, and when they had minimal effect, he ordered an MRI. The MRI was normal, so his impression was that the foot numbness was actually coming from my back (I had a bulging disc a few years before this). The cortisone shot did help to the point that my pain was gone, and I just kind of had to get used to the numbness. 5 or so years later, I rarely have any problems with it, other than noticing the numbness on occasion (I think I'm so used to it I don't even know it's happening most of the time!). I often look at Youtube for different videos on this topic, I will leave one here, maybe this will be useful to someone in the future .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLA11cJSp8A
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: