Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Swimming; drinking not breathing

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doca

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 8:34 am    Post subject: Swimming; drinking not breathing Reply with quote

Did the Outlaw half yesterday, got a decant result and an 8 min PB. That was despite the swim though which was one of my worst. I'm not the best swimmer but am at least MOP, in a calm OW lake I can hold my own, I really struggle though more than most when the water is choppy, if when I go to breath a rough splash hits my mouth I can't help but drink it. That often means resorting to breaststroke while I catch my breath again as you can't drink and breath together.
When I tell my friends this they don't understand why I cant just not breath in that instance and spit out the water? I don't know but I can't.
Is there known techniques for this that any one knows about that I can work on?
Chrace

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm mostly impressed you drank water from HPP rowing lake and still here to tell the story...

Can you train missing a breath and use that extra time to sort yourself out - and teach yourself not to swallow? I remember when I did Outlaw (full) I missed a fair few breaths due to biff.

Sounds more like a bad reflex/habit so possibly something you can work on mentally, i.e. out of the water.
fat buddha

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it maybe down to lack of swim experience/practice? when I first started triathlon I would also swallow a lot of water as I hadn't mastered the art of keeping the oesophagus closed when breathing, or spitting out. over the years this has improved a lot and I now rarely swallow even in very choppy sea water.

answer - swim more... Wink
awildt

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As the above - swim more.

Learning that breathing out underwater creates a bit of a film over your mouth so you're never going to swallow at that stage and then learning to tilt your head and use the pocket of air created under your arm for breathing in without taking water. That's why arms are considerably slower than legs in swimming because there is a lot of technique.

Breathing with your eyes "looking" up rather than down means your mouth is in the line of fire of all the water you're swimming into. Tucking your chin into your armpit puts the top of your head in the way of all the incoming waves.

YouTube and practice. ANd no matter how much you swim you still occasionally get a mouthful. Realising that a single mouthful won't make you drown is also part of reducing how much it delays you.
Doca

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you train missing a breath and use that extra time to sort yourself out - and teach yourself not to swallow? I remember when I did Outlaw (full) I missed a fair few breaths due to biff.

I don't have a problem holing my breath, I could breath every 5 strokes if I needed to. The problem is when I go to breath I I get water I can't prevent myself from drinking it & that action stops you breathing and I then get 'desperate' for a breath'.

mastered the art of keeping the oesophagus closed when breathing
This sounds like what I need, can it be learnt out of the water?
Tin Pot

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doca wrote:

I don't have a problem holing my breath, I could breath every 5 strokes if I needed to. The problem is when I go to breath I I get water I can't prevent myself from drinking it & that action stops you breathing and I then get 'desperate' for a breath'.

mastered the art of keeping the oesophagus closed when breathing
This sounds like what I need, can it be learnt out of the water?

Youíre always going to drink some water. People who believe that no water goes into them on the swim are naive or using a canoe!

Open water swimming means getting an unexpected mouthful of water instead of air at any given moment - it might be a wave or a splash, at least it isnít a fist is the way I see it.

The only problem I see is your need to break stroke.

With confidence in your ability to not drown, you can just swallow it and roll to take a breath on the other side on the other side in very next stroke. You can push the water out of your mouth underwater, but this might interfere with trying to get air on the next opportunity. I usually do two smaller catch up breaths to avoid spluttering to a halt.
Sprint '16 1h17, '14 1h40, '13 2h01
Half Mara '16 2h04, '14 2h07
10 Mile TT '16 00:26:30
Trail 10K '16 54:01 '13 54:46
tuckandgo

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Swimming; drinking not breathing Reply with quote

Doca wrote:
Did the Outlaw half yesterday, got a decant result and an 8 min PB. That was despite the swim though which was one of my worst. I'm not the best swimmer but am at least MOP, in a calm OW lake I can hold my own, I really struggle though more than most when the water is choppy, if when I go to breath a rough splash hits my mouth I can't help but drink it. That often means resorting to breaststroke while I catch my breath again as you can't drink and breath together.
When I tell my friends this they don't understand why I cant just not breath in that instance and spit out the water? I don't know but I can't.

Do you have a problem 'swallowing air' when swimming normally (normally manifests itself in a painful stomach and a lot of wind)?

If so, or even try it anyway, try to breath by just opening your mouth rather than purposefully drawing in air.

If you can do this then when you get a mouthful of water in the swim it will stay in your mouth and you can blow/spit it out, rather than heading down the throat and leading to coughing/bluh/gasping/whatever.
fat buddha

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Youíre always going to drink some water. People who believe that no water goes into them on the swim are naive or using a canoe!

I'd disagree - I might get some water in my mouth which I spit out when I breath out, but I can go a whole swim without swallowing any - and you'd know if you'd swallowed any in the sea! sure, the odd gulp sneaks in if I get my timing wrong or get biffed heavily in a mass swim but that's not very common
Doca

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: Swimming; drinking not breathing Reply with quote

tuckandgo wrote:
Doca wrote:

Do you have a problem 'swallowing air' when swimming normally (normally manifests itself in a painful stomach and a lot of wind)?

If so, or even try it anyway, try to breath by just opening your mouth rather than purposefully drawing in air.

If you can do this then when you get a mouthful of water in the swim it will stay in your mouth and you can blow/spit it out, rather than heading down the throat and leading to coughing/bluh/gasping/whatever.

Thanks for the reply tuckandgo.
I don't think I swallow air, never had a painful stomach A couple of farts on a long OW swim but certainly not every time.

Can you elaborate on this, on not really sure what you mean?
tuckandgo

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: Swimming; drinking not breathing Reply with quote

Doca wrote:
tuckandgo wrote:
Doca wrote:

I don't think I swallow air, never had a painful stomach A couple of farts on a long OW swim but certainly not every time.

Hmmm, perhaps (that I can think of) the best way to get the feeling is to do the exercise where you breath out fully (fully!) so you sink to the bottom of the pool - best to do in the shallow end - then when you come up for air and open your mouth you'll find you take a deep breath without consciously 'breathing in'.

You are trying to allow your lungs to breath at their 'natural rate' for the level of exertion, rather than trying to make them work faster than they are (they will do it perfectly well of their own accord)

I'd never really thought about it but I guess you are just relaxing the diaphragm, allowing the lungs to open, rather than sucking air in. The air pressure differential will fill your lungs with air faster than you could ever 'suck it'.

Hope that's some help. It's something I struggled with when I started swimming - I would try and force my breathing and it caused all sorts of problem.
Doca

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Swimming; drinking not breathing Reply with quote

tuckandgo wrote:
Doca wrote:
tuckandgo wrote:
Doca wrote:

Hmmm, perhaps (that I can think of) the best way to get the feeling is to do the exercise where you breath out fully (fully!) so you sink to the bottom of the pool - best to do in the shallow end - then when you come up for air and open your mouth you'll find you take a deep breath without consciously 'breathing in'.

You are trying to allow your lungs to breath at their 'natural rate' for the level of exertion, rather than trying to make them work faster than they are (they will do it perfectly well of their own accord)

I'd never really thought about it but I guess you are just relaxing the diaphragm, allowing the lungs to open, rather than sucking air in. The air pressure differential will fill your lungs with air faster than you could ever 'suck it'.

Hope that's some help. It's something I struggled with when I started swimming - I would try and force my breathing and it caused all sorts of problem.

Ok thanks, something to try.
fat buddha

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

another thought - get some 1 to 1 swimming lessons to get some coaching on how to breath correctly. there are various drills that can be used that will help you develop better breathing techniques so you don't end up swallowing loads.

or check out some YouTube videos
Young21M

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of practice man. I still struggle sometimes but getting better now. Smile
Keep it up!
Iaincognito

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you breathing bilaterally or just to one side?
Doca

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iaincognito wrote:
Are you breathing bilaterally or just to one side?

I am breathing bilaterally. I'm quite comfortable breathing both sides and in a pool I breathe whenever I feel the need to after 2,3 or oven 4 strokes. It is in choppy water where I have the problem.

fat buddha wrote:
get some 1 to 1 swimming lessons to get some coaching on how to breath correctly

I've had a number of 1-1 swimming lessons with a TI coach, they have never mentioned any specific breathing technique other than that I often breathe a little late in the cycle. Perhaps something to discuss with them next time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: