Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Weymouth 70.3 - Places to stay

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Homer

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 9:13 am    Post subject: Weymouth 70.3 - Places to stay Reply with quote

I'm considering entering Weymouth 70.3, but would like to make a holiday of it. Can anyone recommend somewhere nearby to the event for a week for 4-6 people?

Also, what's the course like?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
TRO Saracen

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Accomodation could be a challenge as most of the prime sites in town will have been snapped up.

I'm staying in the Haven Holiday park just out of town.

Course:
Swim - year I did it was a lovely calm day. Sea is the clearest I have swum in for the UK, you can see the bottom for ages. If it's sunny the first (out) leg you will be swimming directly into the sun so sighting is a problem. Beach at this end of the bay is stony so some disposable old slippers or something on the feet is advisable. Overall a great swim, loved it.

Bike - lumpy, not Wimbleball lumpy but pretty hilly by most standards. I got stuck in my big ring year I did and still made the climbs ok. Country roads so twisting and technical with some poor surfaces. There's an annoying bit where you do a little out and back down a narrow road (to make the distance up probably). Main climbs and descents are in the middle third, you pass some nice chocolate box villages.

Run - 3 out and backs on the Promenade. Utterly flat, you may have to weave around the odd tourist.

Hope that helps.
Homer

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. Some good advice there. Saw this place which doesn't look too far away.
http://www.watersideholidaygroup.co.uk/waterside/
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ozzie1973

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm looking at a late entry into this one too, and I'm wondering if I stay a few miles out of town, is it possible to drive in and park up on the morning of the event?

Does anyone have any experience of doing this? I don't know Weymouth at all.

Thanks,

Ozzie
charlton89

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm doing weymouth this year. I did it last year too, stayed at the premier in which I am doing again. They had rooms left until last min last time so you might get one. Either premier inn is fine. Also used hotel rex which was ok and near finish but can be a little loud.

Regarding course it's good but challenging. Swim can be tough and caught a few out as it was not that calm, bike was tough with a couple of climbs which surprised me, but perfectly achievable. There are some very fast down sections too. I punctured on bike last year and had a nightmare thereafter, bonked 10k into run. So I'm returning to put things right.
RobbieJ

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Homer wrote:
Thank you. Some good advice there. Saw this place which doesn't look too far away.
http://www.watersideholidaygroup.co.uk/waterside/

That's where I'm staying, my parents own a caravan there so free accommodation for me! If you have kids there's plenty for them to do on the site.

The walk into town (to transition) isn't too bad, about 30 minutes or so, but you do have to walk up a steep hill to get in and out.

I've not raced Weymouth before but have been on holiday there when it's been on. If I recall the only road to the holiday site ends at the bike course, so you and those with you wont be driving on the day. Like I said, transition is easily walk-able though so shouldn't be a problem.
Homer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ended up staying at a B&B on the seafront, for the night and taking a weeks holiday starting the following weekend somewhere different.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: