Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Smoothing pedaling and Watt Bike Graph

View previous topic :: View next topic  
newMan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:50 am    Post subject: Smoothing pedaling and Watt Bike Graph Reply with quote

Is there any advice that smoothing your pedal profile the way that Watt Bike suggest will make help you produce more power. Sorry if this has already been discussed but I did a search can could find anything. Apart from them saying it?

I also couldn't find any example pro Watt Bike graphs online?

https://www.personalbikefit.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/Pedalling-Facts-by-Peter-Stuart-Cyclist-Magazine-Summer-2015.pdf

The counter claim

http://www.treadmtb.co.za/trying-to-pedal-in-circles-dont-bother/
JaRok2300

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't post any links but my understanding is that the whole pedalling in circles thing had been pretty much debunked.

The people that go that go the fastest are the ones that press the hardest at the front of the stroke. As long as you're not weighting the pedal at the back of the stroke and actually resisting the upward movement then I don't think it matters.

Only what I've read, not professing to have any specific knowledge of the issue myself.
newMan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JaRok2300 wrote:
I can't post any links but my understanding is that the whole pedalling in circles thing had been pretty much debunked.

The people that go that go the fastest are the ones that press the hardest at the front of the stroke. As long as you're not weighting the pedal at the back of the stroke and actually resisting the upward movement then I don't think it matters.

Only what I've read, not professing to have any specific knowledge of the issue myself.

Thank you. This is what my son was claiming too. It would be interesting to see some actual research.
explorerJC

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some poor assumptions in there.....

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2018 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
Chrace

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

explorerJC wrote:

Which one of them, or both?

I thought they were both flawed really.
explorerJC

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chrace wrote:
explorerJC wrote:

Which one of them, or both?

I thought they were both flawed really.

why can't most people speak Italian?

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2018 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
Whisk

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obviously the harder you push down on the pedals, the faster you'll go, but I think Wattbike reckon that when they stick a pro rider on their machines, they'll invariably produce a force diagram like the one that they tell us we should be aiming for.

I guess you need power and efficiency to go fast for a sustained period.
Roscoemck

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our gym has a watt bike. I have a very cheap, not smart turbo trainer in a rickety shed.

Not having done looked at Watt bikes much, are they a good alternative to a turbo trainer?

Yes, showing my ignorance again!
stenard

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roscoemck wrote:
Our gym has a watt bike. I have a very cheap, not smart turbo trainer in a rickety shed.

Not having done looked at Watt bikes much, are they a good alternative to a turbo trainer?

Through experience, the wattbike numbers align well with my power meter outdoors. My dumb trainer is actually a pretty poor representation ... I can't hold anywhere near the same numbers on my TT (fairly sure due to the significant lack of inertia). Inertia on a wattbike is good.

The main drawback of using a wattbike would be not adapting to the position of your own bike. However, as I can be so much more time efficient by using them at the gym next to work during lunch breaks etc, the drawbacks are worth it for me. I just have to ensure I get as much time outdoors on the TT to work on my aero position as possible.

I probably will look at getting a top end smart trainer soonish so that I can have the best of both worlds.
Roscoemck

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stenard wrote:
Roscoemck wrote:

Through experience, the wattbike numbers align well with my power meter outdoors. My dumb trainer is actually a pretty poor representation ... I can't hold anywhere near the same numbers on my TT (fairly sure due to the significant lack of inertia). Inertia on a wattbike is good.

The main drawback of using a wattbike would be not adapting to the position of your own bike. However, as I can be so much more time efficient by using them at the gym next to work during lunch breaks etc, the drawbacks are worth it for me. I just have to ensure I get as much time outdoors on the TT to work on my aero position as possible.

I probably will look at getting a top end smart trainer soonish so that I can have the best of both worlds.

It's the convenience that appeals to me. The gym is 5 minutes from home and is open 24 hours.

Space is becoming an issue as my son has just bought a bike so the turbo has had to be moved out of the shed until funds will permit a larger shed.

Sounds like the watt bike will suit my training alongside weekly rides out on the road
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: