Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
What decent options apart from bikeboxalan?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tivmeistergeneral

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
You wouldn't be able to do that with a Skoda Octavia Estate, even if it did think it was an Audi RS Rolling Eyes Wink

Very Happy 2-0
Greg66

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dubbs wrote:
TimB. wrote:
I borrowed a Scicon box recently - excellent, loads of room inside so I could stash my helmet, wetsuit, shoes, etc. in there as well - very handy for flying Ryanair where you can take 30kg of "bike" but are limited on the other bags Wink

(just don't put CO2 canisters in there...)

Good point, I assume there's no way of travelling with CO2 canisters andnyou mustnalways buy them at the event location?

Correct. Airlines and CO2 canisters don't mix.

I have travelled with a mate who used the biknd. Nice idea, but one of the bladders deflated during the trip. No damage, but a bit worrying. I've used the Polaris Eva and thought it was fine. I used no additional internal padding and had no probs. The weakest point was the absence of a proper handle. This means you have to grab it by a strap, and that can pull the strap open.

The Polaris is also smaller than a lot of the competition. That can make a difference if you have a small hire car at the other end.
doug

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greg66 wrote:
dubbs wrote:

Good point, I assume there's no way of travelling with CO2 canisters andnyou mustnalways buy them at the event location?

Correct. Airlines and CO2 canisters don't mix.

I have travelled with a mate who used the biknd. Nice idea, but one of the bladders deflated during the trip. No damage, but a bit worrying. I've used the Polaris Eva and thought it was fine. I used no additional internal padding and had no probs. The weakest point was the absence of a proper handle. This means you have to grab it by a strap, and that can pull the strap open.

The Polaris is also smaller than a lot of the competition. That can make a difference if you have a small hire car at the other end.

Check very carefully the airlines T+Cs - some airlines (mainly US ones) allow you to take CO2 - but normally only as part of a lifejacket !

However even if the airline allows it, the airport might not - some impose their own conditions on what they will allow.

I also use a Polaris - it is looking a bit scuffed now after quite a few flights, but is still secure. It is also a lot lighter than most cases meaning it is easier to meet the 20-23kg limit that some airlines impose. The lack of a proper handle is a pain.

The Polaris also uses the skewers to secure the wheel, after the fist trip where the skewer kept catching on things, I didn't bother securing the wheels that way - it works fine without anyway.
T2T

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:57 pm    Post subject: Whats the latest on best Bike Boxes? Reply with quote

Considering BBA and http://www.buxumbox.com/

However, my other fear is what car I would need to hire on the other end at the airport as I have three kids and wife in tow with luggage!

Sep Velo South
Oct Challenge Pegeura
iwaters

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: Whats the latest on best Bike Boxes? Reply with quote

T2T wrote:

However, my other fear is what car I would need to hire on the other end at the airport as I have three kids and wife in tow with luggage!

I looked in to this. Bike Box Alan can go on normal roof bars secured with straps. My hire car added 14EUR on top for roof bars in Lanza. If you own the BBX you can drill holes in and bolt it to the rack for extra security. Info on their website.
GrahamO

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Whats the latest on best Bike Boxes? Reply with quote

T2T wrote:

I suspect a lot of short haul airlines with aircraft with small hold doors would invite you to take that elsewhere !
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Gear All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: