Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Ironman Austria 2018
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
charlton89

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:22 pm    Post subject: Ironman Austria 2018 Reply with quote

Good Afternoon,

I am taking part in Ironman Austria 1st July (its coming up fast!) and just wondered if any others had competed. I have a TT bike which I use a 53/39 11-28 set up on. I have to be honest and say looking at the bike course has terrified me a bit! I live in Suffolk in the UK which is known for being flat/rolling. I could go out and do 100 miles clocking only about 2,000ft of climbing. I really like the set up I have on the bike but I had been thinking about whether putting a compact on front would be beneficial, my coach does have a spare if I wanted to use it but its a hassle as I currently have a rotor 30mm set up and I would have to change the crankset, bottom bracket and chainset, add to that were only just over 2 weeks away and my bike is being sent next week to race HQ.

I guess what im looking for is peace of mind that a 39-28 will see me up those tough climbs in Austria, I realize that there is a lot of descent which is fine, there are only a couple of really tough climbs but of course I would be doing them twice. To give some context I am 69kg and have an FTP of just over 260. Ive done a decent amount of training for this and feel ready for the distance, its just the climbing that im worried about spiking power/HR too much and paying big time later. In the climbs I have done around here I have just about been able to control by going at a low cadence and keeping power levels below FTP threshold, but of course these are only small climbs (gradient wise they probably match up in some cases).

Any advice/feedback from those who have done the course would be great. This is my first Ironman and I am nervous, I have done 3 half Iron races, my latest in May in Nottingham which I finished in 5.16 so feel in decent shape heading in to this. Looking at some feedback it sounds like an amazing place to go and race so I need to try and enjoy it!
explorerJC

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

firstly, there aren't any hard climbs in Austria, secondly, if your training hasn't been specific for the course then you are not going to make up that deficit now, thirdly, spin up the hills with a high cadence and you should be ok...

it's a great race...

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2018 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
Iaincognito

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will be fine!
Iíve done it 3 times, the second time with 54/42 and 11-28
and I was 84kg pre power meter but I was around 250w ftp.
I live in Norfolk, so know why you are worried!
charlton89

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iaincognito wrote:
You will be fine!
Iíve done it 3 times, the second time with 54/42 and 11-28
and I was 84kg pre power meter but I was around 250w ftp.
I live in Norfolk, so know why you are worried!

Thanks for the reply. The race must be good if you've done it 3 times! East Anglia is not the perfect area to train, I did outlaw half holkham last year and there was about 2500ft in 56 miles but all rolling terrain, no major climbs at all.

A lot of what I read about Austria is mixed, some say it's really tough and others say it's pretty simple. I did weymouth last year and that had some hills in it, i imagine it to be similar in total elevation if I were to do 2 laps at weymouth but the climbing seems to be concentrated to a couple of sizeable hills in Austria.
Davem

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No need to change to a compact

The hills tend to be short and sharp uphill and long flatter downhills.

As ejc says, spin up the hills.. And enjoy the day.

I've done it twice, and looking to go back in 2019.

The road surfaces out there are first class, so you really don't notice the hills so much Wink
snowie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am absolutely hopeless on hills & when I have done IM AUstria I just changed the rear cassette to an 11-30, it helped soften the hill on the 2nd lap
explorerJC

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davem wrote:

The road surfaces out there are first class, so you really don't notice the hills so much Wink

worth just holding back o the first part of the bike...the roads and course encourage you to ride fast but they can come back to bite you, so a controlled first few km is important...

charlton89

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

explorerJC wrote:
Davem wrote:

worth just holding back o the first part of the bike...the roads and course encourage you to ride fast but they can come back to bite you, so a controlled first few km is important...

I'll be riding to power and will be sticking to the plan on watts so I'll make sure I don't get carried away. Especially on first lap as I will want to see how much I'll need to push up the hills
explorerJC

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

charlton89 wrote:
explorerJC wrote:
Davem wrote:

I'll be riding to power and will be sticking to the plan on watts so I'll make sure I don't get carried away. Especially on first lap as I will want to see how much I'll need to push up the hills

if you are riding to power, surely you won't need to see how much you will have to push up the hills?

charlton89

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

explorerJC wrote:
charlton89 wrote:
explorerJC wrote:
Davem wrote:

if you are riding to power, surely you won't need to see how much you will have to push up the hills?

Yes and no. Ill be trying to stick to sensible wattage on hills but until I hit them I wont know how much ill need to push at the hardest parts. I might have to go over my target a bit in order to push the gear up the hill. However I know the IF im going to try and stick to for the duration. So I have a plan but know I might have to be a bit flexible, will also depend a bit on the heat, if its very hot ill back off a few percent
charlton89

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so did anyone else compete at Austria this year? I did my first IM and finished in a time of 12.23, really enjoyed it although the bike was tougher than first thought! Rupetiberg was fine, it was the few before that and the ones on the way back down that did me. Did 3 hours on first loop then 3.19 on second which I was very disappointed by. It was quite windy too, many people complained the headwind slowed them down on a few "faster" flat sections. Don't think any pros went below 8 hours this year which maybe indicates slightly tough conditions to get faster times.

To be honest I didn't find the course was as well supported as the reputation suggests, there wasn't many out there and even on Rupetiberg the support was sparce. All in all I did very much enjoy the day and to come home with the medal and stories is great.

Swim - 1.03
Bike - 6.19
Run - 4.38

Total - 12.23
mattsurf

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice Swim time, bike and run both look pretty solid. I heard that it was pretty windy, as was Roth.

I will be doing IM Switzerland in 3 weeks... been really warm here in Switzerland, so lots of very hot training, but would be nice if it cools off a little
charlton89

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattsurf wrote:
Nice Swim time, bike and run both look pretty solid. I heard that it was pretty windy, as was Roth.

I will be doing IM Switzerland in 3 weeks... been really warm here in Switzerland, so lots of very hot training, but would be nice if it cools off a little

Awesome, good luck and hope you enjoy it. I was concerned about the heat in Austria but to be honest there was enough cloud cover to hide the worst of it, the run was about 27 but not much direct sunlight so I found it to be OK. I guess something none of us can control!

Did you do Roth? its one ive been thinking about in future, did you enjoy it?
salad_dodger

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done Charlton, good result. Now, where's a proper full on race report...?
mattsurf

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

charlton89 wrote:
mattsurf wrote:

Awesome, good luck and hope you enjoy it. I was concerned about the heat in Austria but to be honest there was enough cloud cover to hide the worst of it, the run was about 27 but not much direct sunlight so I found it to be OK. I guess something none of us can control!

Did you do Roth? its one ive been thinking about in future, did you enjoy it?

I wanted to do Roth, but didn't get a place, several friends did it though and reported that temp was fine, but wind was tough.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: