Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Ross Edgley - #GreatBritishSwim
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tin pot

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, there was no progress on the ďlive updateĒ site over the weekend - now heís made up a bunch of distance...
Sprint '16 1h17, '14 1h40, '13 2h01
Half Mara '16 2h04, '14 2h07
Trail 10K '16 54:01 '13 54:46
ed_m

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bit quiet on twitter, only a handful of posts... and not many responses. .. still managed to find time to promote his book mind... and not many responses.

No acknowledgement how far behind he appears to be.

Also using the #GreatBritishSwim seemingly unaware of people already using that for well.... the great british swim.

Might be more on insta but i'm over 20.
ed_m

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just spotted a tweet about putting duct tape round his neck to avoid chaffing.... yehhh
fruit thief

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He appears to have covered about 200 miles in 12 days. Not far off a channel swim each day. Would be nice to see more data- how many hours per day swmming, what pace, whether broken into several sessions etc.
stenard

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fruit thief wrote:
He appears to have covered about 200 miles in 12 days. Not far off a channel swim each day. Would be nice to see more data- how many hours per day swmming, what pace, whether broken into several sessions etc.

His latest tweet from a couple of hours ago suggests he did 10 miles this morning, and is intending to do the same again during the middle of the day and later this afternoon. So definitely multiple sessions per day.

Like you say, more data would be interesting. The "tracker" hasn't moved again since about the middle of yesterday, so clearly not accounting for the 10 miles he said he covered this morning.

Has anyone watched any of the redbull vlogs? I havent, and was wondering if there was any more proper detail in those?
Whisk

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seem to recall reading somewhere on his site that he was planning on swimming for two 6 hour shifts per day, based on the tides. He was implying that he'd get assistance from the tide in one direction, but I'm not sure how exactly that works when he's swimming parallel to the shore.

It looks like he's done some strange endurance stuff in the past like the "world's strongest marathon", when he pulled a mini for 26.2 miles around Silverstone Shocked
Chrace

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whisk wrote:
He was implying that he'd get assistance from the tide in one direction, but I'm not sure how exactly that works when he's swimming parallel to the shore.

C'mon Whisk. Smile Tide is caused by the moon's gravitational field, thus moving masses of water around the globe every 12 hours (near-to and away-from the moon). This in turn causes currents depending on the land formations. Tide does not just arrive on shore.

But you'd need a fairly proficient sailor to know how to use these currents around Britain and plan for it.
fruit thief

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stenard wrote:
His latest tweet from a couple of hours ago suggests he did 10 miles this morning, and is intending to do the same again during the middle of the day and later this afternoon.

I'm struggling a little to imagine this.

We're all swimmers here right? Many of us have done long distance tri so know what it feels like to swim 2.4 miles.

Swimming four times that distance - 10 miles - doesn't seem like something you can do in the morning, and then again in the middle of the day, and then again in the afternoon.

Good luck to him but I'd love to see some more data to lift the credibility of this thing. Put the swims on Strava or something.
Whisk

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chrace wrote:
Whisk wrote:
He was implying that he'd get assistance from the tide in one direction, but I'm not sure how exactly that works when he's swimming parallel to the shore.

C'mon Whisk. Smile Tide is caused by the moon's gravitational field, thus moving masses of water around the globe every 12 hours (near-to and away-from the moon). This in turn causes currents depending on the land formations. Tide does not just arrive on shore.

But you'd need a fairly proficient sailor to know how to use these currents around Britain and plan for it.

Agreed. That's why I was a bit bemused by his comments about having to catch the tides every 6 hours. That would imply that there was a current running clockwise around the country when the tide is going in one direction and anti-clockwise in the other.
MarkyMark76

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fruit thief wrote:
stenard wrote:
His latest tweet from a couple of hours ago suggests he did 10 miles this morning, and is intending to do the same again during the middle of the day and later this afternoon.

I'm struggling a little to imagine this.

We're all swimmers here right? Many of us have done long distance tri so know what it feels like to swim 2.4 miles.

Swimming four times that distance - 10 miles - doesn't seem like something you can do in the morning, and then again in the middle of the day, and then again in the afternoon.

Good luck to him but I'd love to see some more data to lift the credibility of this thing. Put the swims on Strava or something.

Exactly this. I'd be interested to read what is being said (if anything) on any of the swim dedicated forums about this endeavour. The provided great insight/entertainment on that other swim thing that went bad.
jibberjim

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whisk wrote:
Agreed. That's why I was a bit bemused by his comments about having to catch the tides every 6 hours. That would imply that there was a current running clockwise around the country when the tide is going in one direction and anti-clockwise in the other.

I have no idea why I'm even reading this thread and the ludicrous endeavour, but swimming in slack water is going to be better even if the tidal flow is taking you into shore or out to sea.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meh, these guys should be sleeping in the water - they're wearing wetsuits after all.
tin pot

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I donít think thereís anything meant to be serious about this, beyond he risk to his own life of course. Itís a mad stunt, hats off he can do whatever it is, and it will promote his business but itís not meant to be a record attempt is it?

Jorgan wrote:
Meh, these guys should be sleeping in the water - they're wearing wetsuits after all.

+1

The tech must exist, right?
Sprint '16 1h17, '14 1h40, '13 2h01
Half Mara '16 2h04, '14 2h07
Trail 10K '16 54:01 '13 54:46
explorerJC

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tin Pot wrote:
I donít think thereís anything meant to be serious about this, beyond he risk to his own life of course. Itís a mad stunt, hats off he can do whatever it is, and it will promote his business but itís not meant to be a record attempt is it?

?

i am friends with a swimmer who pitched for this a while back, but the sponsor had a preferred 'image' to portray by all accounts.

It's serious for those in that small world of ultra swimming...more serious than blagging a yacht for a long cruise, at least...

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2018 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
MarkyMark76

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't seen anything of relevance on any of his social media channels for the last few days after his manky tongue incident!?!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Off-Topic All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8

Jump to: