Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
The Fastest 10 mile TT Thread - 2018
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 14, 15, 16  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
FatPom

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

23:16 on P140 tonight. 23 secs slower than last time but it was very windy tonight, hopefully everyone else was slower as well but I don't get results until Fri.
JeffB

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TRO Saracen wrote:
That's bad, but well done on a 58 and getting within a minute of your course PB

But it's not as bad as when I had something pressed against my DI2 buttons on the drive down to a 50 and ran the power down....had to ride it single speed... Rolling Eyes

Couple of 10's coming up for me on THursday eve and Sat pm. Fast-ish courses, not E2/V718 quick but reasonable. One of them is probably E2 quick on the out and back but the 'turn' is a labyrinth of 4 roundabouts which blows any chance of a quick overall time.

Not thought about Etap TRO? at least the batteries are easily changeable if you have a spare? or maybe even old fashioned mechanical! Although Di2\Etap probably make it a fair bit easier to modify your cockpit.

I've got a 50 on Sunday, reasonably slow course though and I've had a cold most of the last week. Then a 25 the week after on the A19, first time I've done a DC course for a while so a bit nervous.

Also got confirmed for the National 100 today, anyone else in? Might be a bit far oop north for a lot of you though, but you can have a few days in the Lake District Smile

Jeff
TRO Saracen

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JeffB wrote:

Not thought about Etap TRO? at least the batteries are easily changeable if you have a spare? or maybe even old fashioned mechanical! Although Di2\Etap probably make it a fair bit easier to modify your cockpit.

I've got a 50 on Sunday, reasonably slow course though and I've had a cold most of the last week. Then a 25 the week after on the A19, first time I've done a DC course for a while so a bit nervous.

Also got confirmed for the National 100 today, anyone else in? Might be a bit far oop north for a lot of you though, but you can have a few days in the Lake District Smile

Jeff[/quote]

Also just confirmed for the National 100. Lost a couple of 100's down here (E2, B100/9) and can't make the other one in July (B100/4) so pushed the boat out. DRive up Sat, Travelodge Penrith, drive back after.

I expect rain.
TriSam

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck guys, what's the course like? Aims for you both?
TRO Saracen

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never been up there, told it's a reasonably quick single carriageway. Perfect day would see a sub 4: I'd need to go well on a decent day.

Anyway last night - first '10' for a while. Lost a lot of 10's on E2 so not done any really quick ones.

This was B10/3b - it's pretty quick on the DC (A11) - would be similar to E2 but all goes Pete Tong on the turn, which is a labyrinth of 4 roundabouts and the fact you have to slow for a roundabout on the course.

Time 21:28, going pretty well but really died in the last 3 miles. Schoolboy error - club mate started 2 minutes ahead and we'd had a little banter over the week as to whether I'd make the pass.....clocked him at the turn and thought 'this is on if I can find a few more watts'. Well I duly found those few extra watts for a mile or so, then popped and lost way more than any gained for the final 3 miles....

Stupid boy Pike...Rolling Eyes
JeffB

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TriSam wrote:
Good luck guys, what's the course like? Aims for you both?

It's probably the flattest 100 miles you'll find in the Lake Dristrict, don't know how well you know the area but it is basically a single lane trunk road between Keswick and Cockermouth, it's something like 3 laps. There's a few hills but nothing significant.

My first aim is to finish (alive), followed by not last, then anything under 4:45 would be nice but it partly depends on conditions on the day. Think I was around 4:35 last time at a nice steady pace, but I've barely done many rides longer than 60 miles for about 2 years. I've done a few long hilly rides but it's a bit different to a constant effort in an uncomfortable position for several hours!

I'm starting at 7:27, hopefully the weather will stay dry. Last time it was very hot.

Jeff
FatPom

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still a damn good time TRO Saracen, well done Cool

Best of luck to you JeffB Smile
JeffB

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I did the 50 today and got round in 2:10:48, not as bad as it sounds, it's a slow course with about 350m of climbing and it was a bit breezy. Winner only did 1:49 and Phil Graves only managed 1:55. The winner has done short 19 for a 10, but probably on V718.

Was quite pleased, probably went off a bit sharp and suffered quite a lot in the last 15 miles, also didn't eat\drink enough which didn't help, I've suffered for the rest of the day. The 6k brick was not fun Sad was struggling with 4:40's but a good reminder of pacing and nutrition.

Onwards to Edinburgh 70.3, where I'll take it a bit steadier, also got a 25 on a fairly quick course next weekend.

Jeff
FatPom

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JeffB wrote:
Well, I did the 50 today and got round in 2:10:48, not as bad as it sounds, it's a slow course with about 350m of climbing and it was a bit breezy. Winner only did 1:49 and Phil Graves only managed 1:55. The winner has done short 19 for a 10, but probably on V718.

Was quite pleased, probably went off a bit sharp and suffered quite a lot in the last 15 miles, also didn't eat\drink enough which didn't help, I've suffered for the rest of the day. The 6k brick was not fun Sad was struggling with 4:40's but a good reminder of pacing and nutrition.

Onwards to Edinburgh 70.3, where I'll take it a bit steadier, also got a 25 on a fairly quick course next weekend.

Jeff

That's some good numbers there JeffB, well done mate. Cool
stenard

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good work. I could hardly move after my first 50 at the end of April, so that's pretty impressive stuff to get a proper brick run in afterwards. A club mate of mine also did it and despite being a Kona qualifier and going sub9 at Roth last year, couldn't move either. Being locked into a TT position on DC's really changes the dynamics! I managed a run much much later in the day, but my hips and groin still felt really sore.
Wheezy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did the 12 hour National on Sunday, on the A31 Bentley course. While I have not been doing as much time triallaiing this season, I have done more road miles and some long audax rides which I was hoping would build my endurance. My stretch target was 255 miles, although after a dnf in my last 12, last year, my first aim was to finish. As long as I paced it right, I knew that I would beat the 235 miles I set in 2015.

It was raining pretty hard just before my start time, but thankfully eased off just as I set off. The temperature was just right at around 16-17 degrees all day, but the westerly wind was really quite tough. This was my first tt with a power meter and it it really helped me pacing my effort into the wind on the south westerly section of the course.

It was pretty obvious after the first hour that 255 was not on, so I just settled in and tried to keep the pedals ticking over, into wind capping my watts at around 190-200 watts (to achieve about 13mph at times). The downwind leg was very fast, but with my dnf in my mind from last year, I probably didn't take full advantage, but that was probably the right thing to do.

I had a bad patch at around halfway as I missed a feed and started to feel a bonk coming on, but managed to get to my support just after and neck a load of calories, taking it easier until I felt a bit better.

The finishing circuit opened with about 2 hours to go, which meant a lot less time into wind and I didn't have to do the very slow Chawton part of the course, and I was able to pick up my average again. I ended up with an unofficial distance of 245m, so a pleasing pb to get over evens, and tantalisingly close enough for me to know that with a bit more focussed training and a better day, 255-260 could be on. Both the Men's and women's comp records went too, and it was far from a float day.
TRO Saracen

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wheezy wrote:
I did the 12 hour National on Sunday, on the A31 Bentley course. While I have not been doing as much time triallaiing this season, I have done more road miles and some long audax rides which I was hoping would build my endurance. My stretch target was 255 miles, although after a dnf in my last 12, last year, my first aim was to finish. As long as I paced it right, I knew that I would beat the 235 miles I set in 2015.

It was raining pretty hard just before my start time, but thankfully eased off just as I set off. The temperature was just right at around 16-17 degrees all day, but the westerly wind was really quite tough. This was my first tt with a power meter and it it really helped me pacing my effort into the wind on the south westerly section of the course.

It was pretty obvious after the first hour that 255 was not on, so I just settled in and tried to keep the pedals ticking over, into wind capping my watts at around 190-200 watts (to achieve about 13mph at times). The downwind leg was very fast, but with my dnf in my mind from last year, I probably didn't take full advantage, but that was probably the right thing to do.

I had a bad patch at around halfway as I missed a feed and started to feel a bonk coming on, but managed to get to my support just after and neck a load of calories, taking it easier until I felt a bit better.

The finishing circuit opened with about 2 hours to go, which meant a lot less time into wind and I didn't have to do the very slow Chawton part of the course, and I was able to pick up my average again. I ended up with an unofficial distance of 245m, so a pleasing pb to get over evens, and tantalisingly close enough for me to know that with a bit more focussed training and a better day, 255-260 could be on. Both the Men's and women's comp records went too, and it was far from a float day.

Good work Sir! That is one tough course for a 12 hour, those comp records were remarkable rides and 245 is a very good ride if the wind was up, and picking up in the final 2 hours is a great sign of endurance.

Squeeze in the CC Breckland 12 hour? It's 5 August I think, on the A11 course which has a rough bit but nowhere near as bad as the A31 - I would say as fast, if not a fraction faster than A31 - good day and that 255-260 is more than on. Keep wondering whether I should give it a tickle....
stenard

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

12 hours on that course?! Ouch! Seeing as 50 miles had me literally shouting at the road for being so $hit, I really wouldn't fancy that at all! Great effort
Wheezy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks gents. Unfortunately, I'm away for the Breckland event. I'm considering the ECCA event in mid-August. Not as fast as Breckland, but with some focussed work and a good day, it might work. I definetely think you should scratch that itch TRO!

Having done a few 50s on that course, i knew how bad it would be so I made sure my contact points were a bit more padded than usual. When I was going through my bad patch around 6-7 hours, the bumps seemed to be a lot worse! I think I was just getting tired and not reading the road as well. Last couple of hours my tail was up and I was in a much better place mentally, so the road didn't seem so bad.

Now I've got power readings on the road I'm going to start to look a bit more at my position and see if I can get a bit more of an aero position. Even a small gain should make a pretty big difference over such a long event. I had no neck or back issues so I might be able to see if I can get a bit lower / narrower. Also not happy with my helmet. I've been using a kask Bambino and I find it comfortable but I think I could save a few watts by getting something that blends with my back more. Will start looking at what might suit.
TRO Saracen

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stenard wrote:
12 hours on that course?! Ouch! Seeing as 50 miles had me literally shouting at the road for being so $hit, I really wouldn't fancy that at all! Great effort

Few repairs are down now, it's not great but better than it was, and no stretch is as bad as that bit on the A31....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 8 of 16

Jump to: