Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Race Report IM70.3 Switzerland

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mattsurf

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:37 pm    Post subject: Race Report IM70.3 Switzerland Reply with quote

Great organisation and great course, shame feed zones ran short of Enervit, and missed goal by just 2 mins

This was my first proper race of 2018: Injury free and training hard for past 6 months, this was the first chance to see whether I have any chance of qualifying for Kona at IM Switzerland in 6 weeks time.

Arrived on Saturday, and was directed to park about 1km from the race site. The race instructions did highlight the lack of parking on the site, but I had no problem with how it was handled.

Registration and check in were all done with Swiss efficiency. Facilities were fantastic, with lots of proper toilets and changing rooms (lots of portaloos also on site). Race brief was clear and light hearted.

On race day I arrived by train, which was totally pain free, the station is about 1km from race site. The Lido next to the swim site was opened for warm up - brilliant. The swim itself was probably the nicest OW swim I have ever done, course was straight out and back and very clear, really easy to sight. The swim start was in groups of 4, ordered by pace (swiss seem very honest about their pace, unlike the French in Vichy). There was no pushing and shoving, I was not swum over and I did not swim over anyone, for a person lacking confidence in the push and shove of normal OW triathlon swimming, this is the venue. Water was 22 degrees (wetsuit optional), clear and drinking quality.

After a 37m swim (bang on 1900m) I went through T1, super organised, and onto the bike. I decided to use my TT bike with disc wheel and deep front. After a couple of early roundabouts, The first 10km are pretty flat an fast, A sharp left bend leads into Witches Hill, a 13% 1km climb - it has a reputation of being tough, but its repuation is far worse than reality. after witches there is a rolling 5km section, mainly on cycle tracks, before leading it Goldinen Hill (another one with a fearsome reputation), it climbs about 400m over 5km, it is a beautiful climb and well supported, typical Switzerland. The descent is one of my favourites anywhere, very, very fast, super smooth roads, not a pot hole in sight, not technical and just a couple of junctions, which are well marshalled. After the descent there is a 10km return to the start, and then a second lap. By the second lap the temperature was over 30 degrees

Onto the run, a flat 2 lap run, mostly on hard core tracks and pavements. The only disappointment was that many of the feed stations ran out of energy drinks and ice on the last lap, however the wet sponges and cold sgowers were realky welcome. the Fabled stairway to heaven (69 steps to the castle) were not a problem, not sure why most people walked then

overall i was REALY disappointed with a 5h 2m time....i really wanted to go sub 5 hrs, those 2 minutes (2m26s) really bug me, however i am happy with 2h34m on a tough bike course with 1100m climbing
FatPom

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work Matt. Sounds like a great race! Swissman would be my bucket list last hurrah if I ever had the chance.
stenard

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice write up. Definitely make the race sound like one worth considering.

Nice bike split based on the climbing required. It would seem you have some easy wins on your swim though. 37mins is a fraction under 2.00/100 pace, and I would have thought you can knock 5-10s/100 off that fairly easily? I only say that as the step from 2:00/100 to under 1:50/100 was probably the fastest improvement I made. After that it got a lot less rapid progression wise.

What were the transition distances like? From the times you gave, your run plus T's totalled 1:51. Not sure if that's factoring in lengthy transitions or not?
tin pot

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good work, and like the report. Switzerland has always been an appealing venue.
Sprint '16 1h17, '14 1h40, '13 2h01
Half Mara '16 2h04, '14 2h07
10K 18 50:31 '16 54:01 '13 54:46
mattsurf

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FatPom wrote:
Nice work Matt. Sounds like a great race! Swissman would be my bucket list last hurrah if I ever had the chance.

Definitely on mine too.

After this year I will focus on events like Swissman, etc, I think that I am getting IM out of my system
mattsurf

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stenard wrote:
Nice write up. Definitely make the race sound like one worth considering.

Nice bike split based on the climbing required. It would seem you have some easy wins on your swim though. 37mins is a fraction under 2.00/100 pace, and I would have thought you can knock 5-10s/100 off that fairly easily? I only say that as the step from 2:00/100 to under 1:50/100 was probably the fastest improvement I made. After that it got a lot less rapid progression wise.

What were the transition distances like? From the times you gave, your run plus T's totalled 1:51. Not sure if that's factoring in lengthy transitions or not?

Just had a look
Times
Swim 37:35
T1 4:40
Bike 2:34:37
T2 2:07
Run 1:43:05

T1 looks like a bit of a shocker! it was about 1 min run from water, looks awfully slow though

I loose so much on the swim, I just can't get the pace, when I look at my swim splits, first 500m were at 1:51s/100m, second 100m at 2:07s/100m, third 500m at 1:51s/100m final 400m at 1:51s/100m .... no idea what happened in the second 500m, lost over a minute for no reason
mattsurf

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tin Pot wrote:
Good work, and like the report. Switzerland has always been an appealing venue.

When I look at the comments from IM 70.3 Staffordshire on the same day, I know where I would rather compete
mattsurf

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot the most important point, my time was actually good enough to qualify for the 70.3 worlds in Port Elizabeth in September. I didn't take the place as my focus is to get to Kona, but it is a massive boost to my confidence that I can do it. If I don't KQ this year, will probably go for for next year's 70.3 worlds in Nice
stenard

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattsurf wrote:
Forgot the most important point, my time was actually good enough to qualify for the 70.3 worlds in Port Elizabeth in September. I didn't take the place as my focus is to get to Kona, but it is a massive boost to my confidence that I can do it. If I don't KQ this year, will probably go for for next year's 70.3 worlds in Nice

Out of interest, was that in an automatic spot, or via roll down? Not to put a dampener on it, but if it was roll down that doesn't surprise me. In Mallorca pretty much every male AG was a case of whoever was at the awards ceremony could have gone to South Africa. Its just not an appealing venue due to cost etc. That said, I'd have actually liked to go as I've always wanted to go to SA, and then do safari etc after. I just have a wedding on that weekend so couldn't.

Nice next year will be a different matter I believe.
mattsurf

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stenard wrote:
mattsurf wrote:

Out of interest, was that in an automatic spot, or via roll down? Not to put a dampener on it, but if it was roll down that doesn't surprise me. In Mallorca pretty much every male AG was a case of whoever was at the awards ceremony could have gone to South Africa. Its just not an appealing venue due to cost etc. That said, I'd have actually liked to go as I've always wanted to go to SA, and then do safari etc after. I just have a wedding on that weekend so couldn't.

Nice next year will be a different matter I believe.

Roll down, but i was only 10 mins from Automatic, Looking back in all past years to 2011, 5:02 in Rapperswil would be enough through roll down, Nice will be very popular, but with a little improvement, I am pretty confident
JeffB

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a good race in a lovely place, plenty of flights to Zurich and it's not far from there to the start on race day. I'd definitely reccomend it to the rest of you thinking about it. There were quite a few from Clapham when I did it Stenard.

The thing I wasn't too keen on was that it was age group starts, and you weren't allowed in transitition after the pro's had started which meant me hanging around in for nearly 35 minutes I think.

It was a baking hot day, I got into the car post-race and it said 35c, in the fields where the heat radiated it was absolute torture and probably cost me a few minutes.

The climbs on the bike weren't too hard if you didn't go mad, but I lose time on the descents as I'm a bit of a fanny!

BTW, Stenard, read some of your race blogs, very good, shame about the race in Southport, can't help thinking Majorca didn't help but we all have bad days.

Jeff
TRO Saracen

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good race sir, nice report, sounds a cracking race.

FWIW whilst I'll travel abroard for a full IM, I don't for 70.3's. So a choice of Staffs, and Weymouth** really for me.....I've not done Staffs yet but back for my second Weymouth this year.

**I really f*%$ing miss Wimbleball....

70.3 Worlds are really good to Q for, and I think Nice will be a cracker. It's not Kona obviously, but for those of us for who KQ is out of reach (I'm best at flat fast IM's where aero TTing is at a premium but can't compete with those prepared to draft) it's as good as you can get.

Having the races spread over 2 days is also great, you get to watch/support the Female pro/AGer race then race your own. If I had even Q'd for Kona the biggest downer would have been that both Pro races would have happened while I was out slogging back from Hawi on the Queen K, thus impossible to follow....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: