Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
First Wetsuit

View previous topic :: View next topic  
triphys19

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:19 pm    Post subject: First Wetsuit Reply with quote

Evening all,

I'm relatively new to triathlon and so far I've only completed pool-based events and have definitely got the bug.

I am now looking at trying my hand at open water and longer distance events so therefore need to get myself a wetsuit. I am by no means a very good swimmer. My quickest 400m time was 9mins and I've never swam open water before. My search so far has mainly consisted of scouring Wiggle. My options (within budget) so far are:

dhb Hydron
HUUB Archon (Wiggle exclusive)
Zone3 Activate+
2XU P:1 Propel
Would anyone be able to give me any advice about these wetsuits or suitable alternatives please?

Any help is much appreciated.
JaRok2300

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, where are you based as trying some on is always a good idea as the fit is the most important thing?
I help run my club's OW swimming so as well as my own experience I hear a fair bit of feedback from other swimmers too.

I've got a 2XU (Z1 or T1) which I've had for 3 seasons and am very happy with.
HUUB - hear a lot of noise about how easy they are to nick and tear, but also very comfortable and fast - guess it's a trade-off.
DHB - good reviews on-line and not heard anything bad.
ORCA TRN (Wiggle) - not on your list but about the same price and we have a lot of swimmers using those and are very happy with them.
DrClean

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be frank, most wetsuits, including starter wetsuits, are pretty good. You won't go far wrong with any brand, the flexibility on the arms and underarms will be reasonably good.

As a novice you may prefer one with good buoyancy on the legs, it will lift your back end and make you more streamlined.

I've just done a video on fit and removal that might be of interest, you can see it here: https://youtu.be/PAxpTldm864

Hope that helps.
http://www.CapeVerdeTriathlon.com
kevb

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My personal preference is something with a lower neckline; Orca 3.8 currently. I tried BlueSeventy when I started and felt I was being strangled; stuck with Orca ever since
triphys19

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JaRok2300 wrote:
Hi, where are you based as trying some on is always a good idea as the fit is the most important thing?
I help run my club's OW swimming so as well as my own experience I hear a fair bit of feedback from other swimmers too.

I've got a 2XU (Z1 or T1) which I've had for 3 seasons and am very happy with.
HUUB - hear a lot of noise about how easy they are to nick and tear, but also very comfortable and fast - guess it's a trade-off.
DHB - good reviews on-line and not heard anything bad.
ORCA TRN (Wiggle) - not on your list but about the same price and we have a lot of swimmers using those and are very happy with them.

Thanks JaRok2300! Some good things to consider there.
Iím based in the Midlands. I live in Coventry and work in Leicester, but regularly travel to Mid-Wales and Worcester also. Are you aware of anywhere where I would be able to go and try some wetsuits on?

Thanks
JaRok2300

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm from Worcester, we have a local wetsuit hire/sale shop come to our open water swim sessions every couple of weeks at Upton Warren, just off J5 of the M5.

We swim every Wednesday evening & Saturday morning but they don't come to every session. (They're next due on 30th June)

If you join our FB group "Open water Swimming with Worcester Tri" you'll see the dates they are due to visit if that's convenient or you could deal with them direct, they're called West Midlands Wetsuit Hire, although they do sell them too.

Ps. Just to be clear neither I (nor the club) get any kick back form their sales/hires, it's just a mutually convenient arrangement for us to be able to hire wetsuits at our swims.
iwaters

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best wetsuit is the one that fits you best so as JaRok2300 says try a few on.

You could also consider 2nd hand, sure someone else may have peed in it but you can give it a wash. My first wetsuit cost 50 quid off ebay and lasted me 3 seasons before ripping completely.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Gear All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: