Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
The MAMIL Ego....
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kevb

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was pool swimming, if I ever got stuck behind someone, I'd just stop and turn 3-5m before the end of the lane while they were pushing off the wall. Hate pools now though, just swim in the river when it's warm enough; fair weather swimmer Very Happy
Roscoemck

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhh, swimming pools. The part of triathlon I hate the most!

The amount of other peoples hair in the pool, plasters etc. Disgusting!!

Our local pool also has very weird opening times and the temp is always in the 90's in the changing rooms.

The fast lanes. Now I'm not the fastest swimmer in the world (2.30/100 breast stroke) but I still find myself lapping everyone. When they get out the way. There's signs up "clockwise only" "allow faster swimmers to pass at end of lane". Do they? Do they heck!

Genuinely don't know if I'll continue with swimming after my next event, I really do not enjoy it. Cycling and running, love it.
JeffB

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:

JeffB wrote:
Often we'll just have half a lane

I know many people like to do this, but in busier pools, I just find that a bit of a PITA when another person turns up; if you're circling, then anyone else can just jump in. If there are two of you circling, I find it easy enough to overtake.

I'd generally agree with that but it rarely gets busy enough at our pool to need to do that luckily and even waiting for someone to get back is only about 50 seconds.

After my previous comments I was in the commonwealth pool in Edinburgh today, very impressive, can't recall ever swimming in a 50m but it's quite a bit different, I was lapping a fair bit slower and I'm usually a slow turner.

People were following the directions which was a lot easier given the length, but someone was in the fast lane struggling to hold 2:00/100's and someone had a word with him, not really sure why he was in that lane TBH, but spoke to a few of them and said just to give me a tap or something if they wanted to get by

Jeff
RobbieJ

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MY pool is supposed to be 3 lanes but is often taken down to 2 for lessons. I then find 1 lane has a few incredibly slow breast strokers and the other has a few people who are just a bit faster than me.

I end up in the faster lane and give way when possible. What's the etiquette for this? Do I stop at the wall where I would anyway (forcing the faster swimmer to move diagonally to turn) or head for the other side as I reach the end (allowing the faster swimmer to just turn as normal)? Whichever I do normally it always feels the other swimmer is annoyed by me.

A couple of things I hate, the groups of people who just congregate at the end of the lane, sometimes 4 or 5 of them, completely blocking the wall so I have to stop before the end and turn around, buggering up my tracking on my Garmin, but more importantly looking like a right tit as I half twist/half shuffle around with no wall to push off from.

The other thing is the guy who seems to wait for me, swim slightly faster and start catching me up, then when I finally stop to let him past will only do 1 more length and block the wall as I follow up behind him.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: