Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Planning 2019 70.3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
[deckard]

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 8:32 pm    Post subject: Planning 2019 70.3 Reply with quote

Hi all I'm looking for advice on preparing for a 70.3 in May 2019, I've seen many plans online but I'd like to know what should I be doing now? When would be a good idea to start winter training? When's best to actually start training for the 70.3?

To add some background, this will be my 4th 70.3 but I'm looking to really improve as much as possible on my previous 3.

My first was in May 2016 and was my first triathlon, It wasn't through choice as I was entered by a family member. At that time I couldn't swim and I hadn't run or cycled since secondary school, I was 36 on the day so you can imagine how unrealistic it was. 4 weeks before the race I tried to pull out but my brother in law convinced me to do it anyway.
I started training, if you can call it that 12 weeks before the race. This involved very little running, I think I managed a max distance of about 5k, 3-4 rides in total on the bike, the longest being about 20 miles and a 1 hour swim lesson a week.
I did make it to the start line and finished a few seconds over the 7 hour mark well and truly broken. It took a couple of months before my ankles were okay again.
At this point I said I'd never do it again but as time passed I forgot the pain and suffering and only really remembered the amazing end and so I found myself signing up for May 2017 by choice this time.
After the first I did continue my 1 hour swim session each week and started cycling to work which is roughly a 20k round trip. I did a little running but struggled to keep it up. This time I crossed the line in just under 6:20
Third time round happened just the other week. Continued as before with the swimming and cycling but managed 3 run sessions a week, 1 short easy 5k, 35-40 minute interval session and 1 long 10k-20k session. This got my time down to 5:45.

So for next years I want to train properly with a structured plan but as I said above when's the best time to start a 70.3 plan? when do I start/finish winter training? what should I be doing now?

Thanks for reading if you got this far.
Wheezy

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome! Smile

I think the general consensus would be not to worry about a structured training plan at the moment for a 70.3 next year; it;s simply too long a time to do that week in, week out.

Probably best to give yourself a few intermediate targets for the rest of the season, before thinking about some winter base miles in October / November.

How about doing a few sprints or an Olympic or two?
Train for a 10k / half marathon?
Train for a 25 mile time trial?
Join a tri club. Nothing better than training with like minded people!

Aim to be consistent, e.g. 2 sessions / sport /week. Consistency will be the thing that gets you fitter and faster; fitting it all in around family, work and other life stuff is the hard part.

Best of luck. Keep us posted

Smile
tin pot

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Body fat percentage is the biggest determining factor for a triathlon result.

You’ve got ages to prep, so figure out your weaknesses; Swim, bike, run, nutrition, recovery, health, home life, social balance, sleep...and work on them now.

Figure out a rough idea for when you’ll be able to train next year and where, then select a structured approach to training that you can comfortably execute and works for you.

Easy really Smile
Sprint '16 1h17, '14 1h40, '13 2h01
Half Mara '16 2h04, '14 2h07
Trail 10K '16 54:01 '13 54:46
explorerJC

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tin Pot wrote:

Smile

I'd like to see the data on that...

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2018 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
tin pot

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

explorerJC wrote:
Tin Pot wrote:

Smile

I'd like to see the data on that...

I’ll qualify that statement with a “compared to other physiological measurements”, eg BMI.

One of many, but a more recent one than when I first formed this opinion. This adds free fat mass and body water into the equation, although pragmatically I’m not sure they are more useful than BFP.

http://krepublishers.com/02-Journals/T-Anth/Anth-23-0-000-16-Web/Anth-23-3-000-16-Abst-PDF/T-ANTH-23-3-406-16-1486-Bilgin-U/T-ANTH-23-3-406-16-1486-Bilgin-U-Tx%5B11%5D.pdf
stenard

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You do come out with some funny statements Tin Pot!

Your qualification begins to make a bit more sense, but saying any physiological metric is the "biggest determining factor for a tri result" is a bit of an extreme statement. I don't think anyone would go into a first race saying "if I can achieve 12% body fat", or "if I can reach a BMI of 20 then I'll be ok".

I'd hazard a guess, that nearly all people are predominately, and initially, most interested in how well they swim, bike and run.
tin pot

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stenard wrote:
You do come out with some funny statements Tin Pot!

Your qualification begins to make a bit more sense, but saying any physiological metric is the "biggest determining factor for a tri result" is a bit of an extreme statement. I don't think anyone would go into a first race saying "if I can achieve 12% body fat", or "if I can reach a BMI of 20 then I'll be ok".

I'd hazard a guess, that nearly all people are predominately, and initially, most interested in how well they swim, bike and run.

Smile

Sure but it’s not the OPs first race is it? They’ve worked down to 5:45 over the last three half’s.

It’s certainly one of my key aims this year to get my body fat percentage down for race day.

In my opinion/experience, getting “it” right is a whole life thing, not just SBR sessions.
Hiphophopper

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in a similar position, but come from a very strong bike & swim back ground.

I'd use this summer to really get your general fitness up, build up to 8-10hrs/week or so. As others have suggested, enter other events to keep the motivation going.

Then use the winter for your hard work. Personally, I am very anti the winter is for base/easy theory. It's cold, wet & horrible. Make the most of it by building strength & power - Gym work, Turbo strength/threshold sets, hill rep runs etc. HR should be mostly sub 80%, but intensity of sets should be very hard with easy technique sessions mixed in.

On the bike, perhaps do 2 turbos/week of about 1hr, and one road ride of 2.5 - 3.5 hrs including plenty of big gear hill repeats.

My winter swim sets scare the cr@p out of me, but they pay off.!

Use the Spring to build on this to increase your distance. Don't worry about 'Top end' speed too much.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tin Pot wrote:

Laughing

You should be posting on the FB group "The Ironman Journey" with statements like that.
PCP

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A mate of mine is skinny as a rake, very slight. He’s a top runner and can swim a bit.
I’m about 5kg overweight at the moment but when we raced a 70.3 together I smoked him because he was poor on the bike. Also got his nutrition wrong so had stomach cramps.

I swam, biked & ran faster. Not sure the low body fat helped him.
tin pot

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
Tin Pot wrote:

Laughing

You should be posting on the FB group "The Ironman Journey" with statements like that.

I was but even I couldn’t keep up with the sheer volume of abuse.

Try telling people they don’t need to wear helmets when cycling....

Death threats.
jibberjim

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just get fitter, get thinner, and forget about the 70.3 for ages, but do something to get fitter.

I only "train" for mental and physical health reasons (including the commute which I cycle because my mental health can't survive public transport), I do about 10 hours a week, I'd probably do a pretty reasonable 70.3 if I could make the swim cut off with my untrained breaststroke.

Give me 4 months though, and I could do a pretty good one (well, ignoring the swimming still, as I've tried to learn, but I could still do more breaststroke) However for than 4 months would make no difference.

First get your life organised so you can be fit, find time to exercise regularly, no giant sessions that you need to recover from - then next year you can start training and coming up with a plan, first get exercise in your life - which probably means finding things you enjoy that keep you fit, maybe groups, friends or similar.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: