Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Nice 70.3 (2019) WC
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
JamieMcP




Joined: 01 Feb 2006
Posts: 4787
Location: Edinburgh

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Nice 70.3 (2019) WC Reply with quote

JeffB wrote:
It's a good race, but the roads are rough in places, there's a few cobbles in the last 5 miles, I'd say it was similar to Wimbleball.

Anyway, hopefully a few more of you will either qualify by being good or lucky for next year Smile

Jeff


What did you think of the run? It doesn't look that inspiring to me. But I live next to the park and run up that hill at least 3 times a week at the moment.

I'm still thinking might entre next year, but paying £220 or what ever seems a lot for a race.
_________________
Blogtastic My Athlinks PageTwitter

So many races so little time.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
stenard




Joined: 04 Sep 2013
Posts: 1779

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a bit weird they still havent even announced the number of slots Weymouth has on offer yet, whilst other 70.3 events listed for next summer already have their number of slots publicised.
_________________
My blog: https://stenardstuff.wordpress.com/
Random stuff and race reports
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JeffB




Joined: 04 May 2008
Posts: 1248
Location: Middlesbrough

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They decided to offer Nice places as well quite late, about May I think, it's possible they were trying to drum up interest and entries in the race as I think there was only about 950 including a few relay teams, and about 20 pro's.

They probably left this a bit late, a lot of people had probably committed to other races at that point, particuly with Roth, Austria on the same day and Frankfurt next week.

A lot of the age groups didn't roll, but as I said we got more than I expected, I think partly because the oldest age group was M60 I think, so there weren't single slots going AG's with 1 or 2 people.

From what I gather TRO, the bike basically is 8 miles flat, 20 miles uphill, 20 miles downhill then flat to T2.

I've got little chance of qualifying for Kona, I did think about the legacy, but I suspect you'll need to do 15 or more to get that route now, and frankly I've lost a bit of interest in it, not to mention the £5k or so it would probably cost.

Weymouth might have a big field, think it was ~2000 last year so it should be tougher, not sure about Dublin, or Staffs\Ed next year. Other option is trying to get a spot outside of Europe, but a few US races were only advertising 30 slots as I was going to do one when I'm over there for Chicago marathon.

For the race on Sunday, the M45 winner won the AG race overall, beat all the FPro's and a lot of the males, so it was a strong category on the day, 2nd and 3rd would have been in the top 20 overall probably.

Jeff
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JeffB




Joined: 04 May 2008
Posts: 1248
Location: Middlesbrough

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Nice 70.3 (2019) WC Reply with quote

JamieMcP wrote:


What did you think of the run? It doesn't look that inspiring to me. But I live next to the park and run up that hill at least 3 times a week at the moment.

I'm still thinking might entre next year, but paying £220 or what ever seems a lot for a race.


I didn't mind the run, but it was new to me so I know where you are coming from, it would give you an advantage, anyone who is strong on hills will make up a lot of places on the run.

Lap courses help a bit for me, as you can tick off the laps to break it down, and you knew most of the last mile was downhill.

Jeff
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
YKK




Joined: 23 Oct 2011
Posts: 292
Location: North&West london

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good one Jeff, I had a similar experience at Exmoor the other year. I was 11th with 6 or 7 slots on offer I think. The relief when it got past 9th with 2 slots remaining was great. I know it is only 70.3 but I was pretty pleased with myself.

After a couple of years off I am now considering whether a punt Kona is worth it the year I age up to 45...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
crumpy




Joined: 02 Jan 2011
Posts: 484
Location: Worcester

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JeffB. Absolutely delighted for you. Truly deserved. And you get to go to a very special location for it. I reckon one day you will end up in Kona too and love it 😝

Will see you in Nice as qualified at Maine 70.3. Visiting family here and decided to join my brother-in-law who was doing his first half iron.

I am in decent shape after somehow managing 8-12 hours training a week for a 14 week build (late training sessions in week at gym and majority of training as early starts at weekend for variations on brick sessions). Still thought it would be tough after my first edition 8 year old DI2 packed up on way over. Had to cycle with only 2 gears and a 55 upfront for the whole 56 miles after the LBS were unable to sort it. 650 Watts up hills and 40rpm! My knees feel very very sore tonight ! Still managed a 2.18 bike and a decent half mara (they called the run flat but it was more like Bolton !). 22nd and 3rd in AG.

Anyone thinking USA may be a good place for roll-downs then think again. Almost all slots went to initial qualifiers. Lot of excited Americans and Canadians who fancy a trip to the Cote D’Azur.

Time to dial back the training until next year 😎
_________________
Time to return to Olympic and 70.3
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JeffB




Joined: 04 May 2008
Posts: 1248
Location: Middlesbrough

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crumpy wrote:
JeffB. Absolutely delighted for you. Truly deserved. And you get to go to a very special location for it. I reckon one day you will end up in Kona too and love it 😝

Will see you in Nice as qualified at Maine 70.3. Visiting family here and decided to join my brother-in-law who was doing his first half iron.

I am in decent shape after somehow managing 8-12 hours training a week for a 14 week build (late training sessions in week at gym and majority of training as early starts at weekend for variations on brick sessions). Still thought it would be tough after my first edition 8 year old DI2 packed up on way over. Had to cycle with only 2 gears and a 55 upfront for the whole 56 miles after the LBS were unable to sort it. 650 Watts up hills and 40rpm! My knees feel very very sore tonight ! Still managed a 2.18 bike and a decent half mara (they called the run flat but it was more like Bolton !). 22nd and 3rd in AG.

Anyone thinking USA may be a good place for roll-downs then think again. Almost all slots went to initial qualifiers. Lot of excited Americans and Canadians who fancy a trip to the Cote D’Azur.

Time to dial back the training until next year 😎


Well done Crumpy, excellent performance with only 2 gears.

Looks like it was almost a photo finish? I presume a rolling start meant you didn't realise until the end? Although, second was probably on if you had a working bike.

I wouldn't bother training for Nice, just jog round Smile

It will be interesting to see what this years times are like in a few weeks on the same course.

Jeff
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mattsurf




Joined: 28 Sep 2016
Posts: 553
Location: Zug, Switzerland

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crumpy wrote:
JeffB. Absolutely delighted for you. Truly deserved. And you get to go to a very special location for it. I reckon one day you will end up in Kona too and love it 😝

Will see you in Nice as qualified at Maine 70.3. Visiting family here and decided to join my brother-in-law who was doing his first half iron.

I am in decent shape after somehow managing 8-12 hours training a week for a 14 week build (late training sessions in week at gym and majority of training as early starts at weekend for variations on brick sessions). Still thought it would be tough after my first edition 8 year old DI2 packed up on way over. Had to cycle with only 2 gears and a 55 upfront for the whole 56 miles after the LBS were unable to sort it. 650 Watts up hills and 40rpm! My knees feel very very sore tonight ! Still managed a 2.18 bike and a decent half mara (they called the run flat but it was more like Bolton !). 22nd and 3rd in AG.

Anyone thinking USA may be a good place for roll-downs then think again. Almost all slots went to initial qualifiers. Lot of excited Americans and Canadians who fancy a trip to the Cote D’Azur.

Time to dial back the training until next year 😎


Well done Crumpy. I've get to work really hard to Qualify before Jorgan gets into me age group
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jorgan




Joined: 12 Nov 2007
Posts: 17478
Location: alles was ich bin, alles was ich war

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattsurf wrote:

Well done Crumpy. I've get to work really hard to Qualify before Jorgan gets into me age group


Haha, I truly wish we were fast enough that we were duelling for M45 slots, but alas the standard has really gone up in the last 10 years or so - to the point where you need sub-9 on a fast course, or 9:30 on a hilly course...which to be frank is insane, and something very few of us are able to achieve either commitment-wise or genetically. But that's why it's the WC.
_________________
26 Years since it all began....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
crumpy




Joined: 02 Jan 2011
Posts: 484
Location: Worcester

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JeffB wrote:
crumpy wrote:
JeffB. Absolutely delighted for you. Truly deserved. And you get to go to a very special location for it. I reckon one day you will end up in Kona too and love it 😝

Will see you in Nice as qualified at Maine 70.3. Visiting family here and decided to join my brother-in-law who was doing his first half iron.

I am in decent shape after somehow managing 8-12 hours training a week for a 14 week build (late training sessions in week at gym and majority of training as early starts at weekend for variations on brick sessions). Still thought it would be tough after my first edition 8 year old DI2 packed up on way over. Had to cycle with only 2 gears and a 55 upfront for the whole 56 miles after the LBS were unable to sort it. 650 Watts up hills and 40rpm! My knees feel very very sore tonight ! Still managed a 2.18 bike and a decent half mara (they called the run flat but it was more like Bolton !). 22nd and 3rd in AG.

Anyone thinking USA may be a good place for roll-downs then think again. Almost all slots went to initial qualifiers. Lot of excited Americans and Canadians who fancy a trip to the Cote D’Azur.

Time to dial back the training until next year 😎


Well done Crumpy, excellent performance with only 2 gears.

Looks like it was almost a photo finish? I presume a rolling start meant you didn't realise until the end? Although, second was probably on if you had a working bike.

I wouldn't bother training for Nice, just jog round Smile

It will be interesting to see what this years times are like in a few weeks on the same course.

Jeff


I was duelling with the second place guy all day. There was one peloton in front of us for the first 20 miles and we both sat behind in a pace line : (

They got away from us....benefit of taking it in turns : (

Thankfully saw one in the penalty box later.

Took the 2nd guy a few times on the climbs. Always lost position on the descents even with a 155 cadence, lol. Just ran out of gears ! He was a decent runner though and although I did sub 6 min miles for first 4 miles sitting with him, he broke me at that point. Managed to keep him to a couple of hundred metres all run thinking he might crack. Turns out he is Kona Qfr and therefore had the stamina to keep the pace. We both thought we were in 1st and 2nd. Turns out a local boy who wins everything was ahead of us up the road.

Did not see the photo finish guy all day. Think he had done a tactical move and started later in the swim. Interesting what these rolling starts bring ! Totally messed up my exit from the swim (did not realise there were wetsuit strippers and I was not ready) and then lost myself in T1 - serves myself right by spending pre-race chatting to my brother -in-law and not taking enough notice of my position. Nearly cost me my Nice spot !

See what next year brings in terms of work and family life about whether I jog round ; ) certainly not bothered about places with that level of competition. Only got so much time to train.....I will be gunning for a certain JeffB mind ; )
_________________
Time to return to Olympic and 70.3
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JeffB




Joined: 04 May 2008
Posts: 1248
Location: Middlesbrough

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crumpy wrote:
JeffB wrote:
crumpy wrote:
JeffB. Absolutely delighted for you. Truly deserved. And you get to go to a very special location for it. I reckon one day you will end up in Kona too and love it 😝

Will see you in Nice as qualified at Maine 70.3. Visiting family here and decided to join my brother-in-law who was doing his first half iron.

I am in decent shape after somehow managing 8-12 hours training a week for a 14 week build (late training sessions in week at gym and majority of training as early starts at weekend for variations on brick sessions). Still thought it would be tough after my first edition 8 year old DI2 packed up on way over. Had to cycle with only 2 gears and a 55 upfront for the whole 56 miles after the LBS were unable to sort it. 650 Watts up hills and 40rpm! My knees feel very very sore tonight ! Still managed a 2.18 bike and a decent half mara (they called the run flat but it was more like Bolton !). 22nd and 3rd in AG.

Anyone thinking USA may be a good place for roll-downs then think again. Almost all slots went to initial qualifiers. Lot of excited Americans and Canadians who fancy a trip to the Cote D’Azur.

Time to dial back the training until next year 😎


Well done Crumpy, excellent performance with only 2 gears.

Looks like it was almost a photo finish? I presume a rolling start meant you didn't realise until the end? Although, second was probably on if you had a working bike.

I wouldn't bother training for Nice, just jog round Smile

It will be interesting to see what this years times are like in a few weeks on the same course.

Jeff


I was duelling with the second place guy all day. There was one peloton in front of us for the first 20 miles and we both sat behind in a pace line : (

They got away from us....benefit of taking it in turns : (

Thankfully saw one in the penalty box later.

Took the 2nd guy a few times on the climbs. Always lost position on the descents even with a 155 cadence, lol. Just ran out of gears ! He was a decent runner though and although I did sub 6 min miles for first 4 miles sitting with him, he broke me at that point. Managed to keep him to a couple of hundred metres all run thinking he might crack. Turns out he is Kona Qfr and therefore had the stamina to keep the pace. We both thought we were in 1st and 2nd. Turns out a local boy who wins everything was ahead of us up the road.

Did not see the photo finish guy all day. Think he had done a tactical move and started later in the swim. Interesting what these rolling starts bring ! Totally messed up my exit from the swim (did not realise there were wetsuit strippers and I was not ready) and then lost myself in T1 - serves myself right by spending pre-race chatting to my brother -in-law and not taking enough notice of my position. Nearly cost me my Nice spot !

See what next year brings in terms of work and family life about whether I jog round ; ) certainly not bothered about places with that level of competition. Only got so much time to train.....I will be gunning for a certain JeffB mind ; )


Shame it was only 1 in the sin bin. The local lad probably new the bike course a lot better as well which I'm sure must help a bit.

Haha, you could probably not bother training from now until next September and still beat me. I've had an odd year, the individual sports haven't gone terrible given a lack of training but struggled in triathlon's. Just hoping the injuries are mostly behind me and I can build for next year.

Certainly wouldn't give the fast lads any sleepless nights but would love to do something like 92 off the bike again, even if it means a fairly conservative bike. Also struggled in the heat this year which I'm normally not too bad with.

Jeff
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Stivrunning




Joined: 23 Dec 2008
Posts: 1263
Location: up north

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Managed to get book an apartment on promenade thought would get in early before the masses,a few of the big chain hotels have started to release rooms

I worked on the start and finish being in similar location for this year’s 70.3
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JeffB




Joined: 04 May 2008
Posts: 1248
Location: Middlesbrough

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting that, when I looked a few weeks ago a lot of places weren't open yet, looking to get booked soon myself.

Also got a flyer from Nirvana about bike shipping so I'll get in touch with them.

Jeff
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
crumpy




Joined: 02 Jan 2011
Posts: 484
Location: Worcester

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We will stay out of town in the hills with extended family and make a 10 day holiday out of it. Still going to book this side of Christmas. Means race day is an earlier start. It does make for a relaxing holiday with a bit of triathlon thrown in which suits us.

Have you guys had your online registration email ? Still not had mine. If so, how long did it take after accepting your slot?
_________________
Time to return to Olympic and 70.3
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Stivrunning




Joined: 23 Dec 2008
Posts: 1263
Location: up north

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crumpy wrote:
We will stay out of town in the hills with extended family and make a 10 day holiday out of it. Still going to book this side of Christmas. Means race day is an earlier start. It does make for a relaxing holiday with a bit of triathlon thrown in which suits us.

Have you guys had your online registration email ? Still not had mine. If so, how long did it take after accepting your slot?


it was about 3 weeks after getting slot or something like that,
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
  Share
 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum





Home | About TT | Privacy Policy | Terms and Conditions | Advertising | Contact TT
Copyright ©2003-2015 TriTalk®.co.uk. All rights reserved.