Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Powermeter options - anyone up to date?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stenard

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
jibberjim wrote:
Jorgan wrote:
Chrace wrote:
Never heard of those before, thanks.

I ended up with two options, some P1 and a P2M, both 2nd hand. In the end I have opted for the P2M since I don't really need the dual-sided information but merely pacing, and it will be half to a third of the P1 price.

Power2Max does dual-sided readings. Well my 'classic' does and I can't imagine they're removed it on newer models?

I'm guessing he's meaning genuine L/R balance as opposed to dual sided, P2M's are all "total output"

Yeah, I realise P2M has some algorithm it uses to estimate power on the 'dead' part of the right crank rotation, and uses that number as left leg power/balance (if I've explained that well enough).

All they really do is chop up the pedal stroke into 12-6 and 6-12 (on a clock face). If looking at the drive side, 12-6 is considered the right leg, 6-12 the left. So it's "total power", but very much a crude representation of L/R balance. Doing single leg drills shows it's failures, as you still get readings for the other leg due to force implied on the upstroke with the single leg.
Chrace

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess it can be skewered, e.g. dominant right leg which also pulls up more than left leg showing left leg being stronger than it actually is. But is this really a major scenario or isn't the L/R balance still somewhat true?

I primarily need FTP and Pmax, and a reproducible power reading for race pacing. Any PM should do that.

And since it's crank based I assume I get my cadence as well which I do use for training purposes.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience, P2M is a reliable crank-based bit of kit, and mine is probably a few years old now: I bought it on Ebay early in 2014 - from a guy in Romania; he even put in a small bottle of Ralph Lauren aftershave with it.... I guess 680 is a LOT in Romania Very Happy They go for a fair bit less these days.
stenard

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chrace wrote:
I guess it can be skewered, e.g. dominant right leg which also pulls up more than left leg showing left leg being stronger than it actually is. But is this really a major scenario or isn't the L/R balance still somewhat true?

I primarily need FTP and Pmax, and a reproducible power reading for race pacing. Any PM should do that.

And since it's crank based I assume I get my cadence as well which I do use for training purposes.

Don't get me wrong. P2M is great. I have one on each of the road and TT bikes. I was just pointing out that the L/R balance is a bit wishy washy. But for everything else, it's exceptional, and mine have been bomb proof. No maintenance since install whatsoever (other than battery changes, which are easy on both Classic and Type S versions).

And yes, you get cadence. A crank based PM has to know cadence, otherwise it can't work out power from the torque readings.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Gear All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: