Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
IM UK 2018 - *COURSE CHANGES*
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a cunning plan to get all the 'one & done' people to enter another event.
moonmonkey02

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
This is a cunning plan to get all the 'one & done' people to enter another event.

I can see it now:

No refunds or deferral for 2018 but we'll offer 100 discount for 2019.
tuckandgo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The chap who won IM Wales AG and posted the fastest bike split overall must be licking his lips. He'll be done in 7 hours. Laughing
Whisk

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hammerer wrote:
Stivrunning wrote:
Jorgan wrote:
Stivrunning wrote:

but with a bit of planning they should and must be able to make the bike course a 112 miles even if it was a out and back loop with a dead turn

I guess it's a logistic issue, with road closures i.e. clearances from local councils & police are only in place for the usual course. It's not like this is a local Sprint - we must be talking ca.2000 people strung-out on the course. Any changes of this magnitude are not easy.

your right its not a sprint tri its a major event for the area ,they have the backing of local councils and police etc,you have to apply for road closures so its clear that if in fact they did not see this coming they must have the backing of councils and police to allow to change the route without going before local councils for approval at such short notice

the route is open to adding distance rather than reducing the distance by such a huge amount!.
for all the people doing one and done they must be gutted not to be doing the full route and i feel for them.

"Dear homeowner, due to 2000 snowflakes kicking off on facebook we are going to give you 4 days notice to close your road / village. We have no diversions in place as its too difficult so suck in up sunshine"

Yep can see that going down well. It's not just race route but diversion planning and notifying the entire area that those road closures they'd planned around, well they've changed. They'd need about 1000 routes if they covered every potential eventuality. It's far from idea but they've done well to get any course agreed. Anyone that says otherwise might want to try organising an event.

^^^^^ this

However supportive the council are of the event, there's no way that they would give permission to change the road closures at such short notice because of the added disruption to local people and businesses.

There's still 95 miles of course to ride, which by most people's standards is a long way, so they're not going to create bad will with the local population who vote them in just so that folks doing the event can say that they've ridden the "Full" Ironman distance Rolling Eyes
explorerJC

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whisk wrote:
hammerer wrote:
Stivrunning wrote:
Jorgan wrote:
Stivrunning wrote:

but with a bit of planning they should and must be able to make the bike course a 112 miles even if it was a out and back loop with a dead turn

I guess it's a logistic issue, with road closures i.e. clearances from local councils & police are only in place for the usual course. It's not like this is a local Sprint - we must be talking ca.2000 people strung-out on the course. Any changes of this magnitude are not easy.

your right its not a sprint tri its a major event for the area ,they have the backing of local councils and police etc,you have to apply for road closures so its clear that if in fact they did not see this coming they must have the backing of councils and police to allow to change the route without going before local councils for approval at such short notice

the route is open to adding distance rather than reducing the distance by such a huge amount!.
for all the people doing one and done they must be gutted not to be doing the full route and i feel for them.

"Dear homeowner, due to 2000 snowflakes kicking off on facebook we are going to give you 4 days notice to close your road / village. We have no diversions in place as its too difficult so suck in up sunshine"

Yep can see that going down well. It's not just race route but diversion planning and notifying the entire area that those road closures they'd planned around, well they've changed. They'd need about 1000 routes if they covered every potential eventuality. It's far from idea but they've done well to get any course agreed. Anyone that says otherwise might want to try organising an event.

^^^^^ this

However supportive the council are of the event, there's no way that they would give permission to change the road closures at such short notice because of the added disruption to local people and businesses.

There's still 95 miles of course to ride, which by most people's standards is a long way, so they're not going to create bad will with the local population who vote them in just so that folks doing the event can say that they've ridden the "Full" Ironman distance Rolling Eyes

i haven't been at an IM yet where i didn't want to get off the bike at 95 miles...i wish i was racing now...

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2018 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
fat buddha

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

explorerJC wrote:
i haven't been at an IM yet where i didn't want to get off the bike at 95 miles...i wish i was racing now...

if that had been the case at IM Wales then I wouldn't have had to climb those 2 steep fricking hills at Wisemans and Saundersfoot for a 2nd time.... Wink
mattsurf

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it is no swim as well, it will be a Kona entry gift for strong run/cyclists who are weak swimmers

Shame I am not entered
Whisk

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattsurf wrote:
If it is no swim as well, it will be a Kona entry gift for strong run/cyclists who are weak swimmers

Wouldn't you have to do an Ironman-distance race to validate your Kona slot? Wink
Davem

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattsurf wrote:

Shame I am not entered

Calling T_C... he must be happy If there is no swim
Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattsurf wrote:

Shame I am not entered

I'm sure there will be plenty of space, once all the IMJ haters have voted with their feet.
SGreg

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fat buddha wrote:
explorerJC wrote:

if that had been the case at IM Wales then I wouldn't have had to climb those 2 steep fricking hills at Wisemans and Saundersfoot for a 2nd time.... Wink

Yeah but the 17 mile run into transition from the top of Narberth would have been pretty brutal Laughing
Toyota_Crown

Location: Lincoln / Scarborough (Algerino-Land) / Fircombe-on-Sea. sandbagging for daveM

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davem wrote:
mattsurf wrote:

Shame I am not entered

Calling T_C... he must be happy If there is no swim

nope. I'd be gutted if no sw1m. And g0d nose what the alternative is anyhow.
If I wanted to do duathlon or BRick events I would do. Swimbling is all part of the fun. (Unless it's stupidly cold, or there's currents to fight!)

Indeed, it's going to be an unusual rare opportunity for some KonaQ chasers, so we may as well just get on with it and enjoy the one off novelty of the new harder but shorter bike route, and for all but the weakest KonaQ sw1mmers, hope that the sw1m is on.

fat buddha wrote:
explorerJC wrote:

haha. Forgot to say, great to see you (briefly) fit n healthy at the Bastion IM m8 Smile
94IM+11DIM+D+3Q+4T=153IM
UKIMGrandSlam04-17
fat buddha

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SGreg wrote:
fat buddha wrote:
explorerJC wrote:

Yeah but the 17 mile run into transition from the top of Narberth would have been pretty brutal Laughing

I have just done a ~shudder~ at the thought of that...... Laughing
ed_m

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fat buddha wrote:
SGreg wrote:
fat buddha wrote:
explorerJC wrote:

I have just done a ~shudder~ at the thought of that...... Laughing

bring it.
explorerJC

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

apparently, with the reduced bike distance, IMUK no longer offers vfm...

you gotta love twitter...

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2018 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: