Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Ross Edgley - #GreatBritishSwim
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stenard

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Symes wrote:
41 days 15 hours gone and after 70 swim sessions and 500k swum our plucky hero has just passed Milford Haven, safe to assume he's not going to complete in the 100 days I'd have thought

Nope, clearly not. But regardless, I'm actually quite impressed by this so far. That's some serious distance. And nearly 2 swims per day for 6 weeks.

In his pre-event commentary, he said this would be the point where he wasnt sure if he'd follow the welsh coast or shortcut over to Ireland and swim up that coastline. Will be interesting to see. I'd imagine they'll take the safer option of hugging the coast, even if it'll be a lot longer. That said, they have recently experienced cutting across a large expanse of open ocean going across the Bristol Channel, so maybe they will hit up Ireland.
the_exile

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 100 days was based on roughly 20 miles a day, he is averaging less than 8 miles per day. At this rate he will have to be swimming in the North sea for extended periods of time through the winter. I predict that this challenge will be aborted in the autumn.
MarkyMark76

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remain deeply sceptical/cynical about this endeavour. Even at 8 miles a day it's 8miles more than I would want to do and I really don't understand why there isn't better tracking of his actual swimming and not just the boat route. And why is so he so happy in all the videos?!?!

Anyhoo.... in other much more mainstream news some dude is swimming the length of the channel in 50 days... All over the sky news app. Weird how one thing is picked up and the other largely not!?
awildt

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarkyMark76 wrote:
I remain deeply sceptical/cynical about this endeavour. Even at 8 miles a day it's 8miles more than I would want to do and I really don't understand why there isn't better tracking of his actual swimming and not just the boat route. And why is so he so happy in all the videos?!?!

Anyhoo.... in other much more mainstream news some dude is swimming the length of the channel in 50 days... All over the sky news app. Weird how one thing is picked up and the other largely not!?

The other dude (Lewis Pugh) swimming the channel has an actual international purpose and is well worth following. UN Ambassador for the Oceans and working very hard to address the demise of oceans and other inland water areas with unique wildlife. He's a bit more authentic and believable.
SGreg

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a bit weird though.

If they are cheating and only logging the boats location and just letting Ross swim a few hours a day....why are they doing so badly?

And if they are giving it a honest go, why not provide better info?

Still as said he's had the best possible weather, in the easiest seas and still made modest progress. When the autumn storms hit, he has had it. And if he is off the coast of northern Scotland at those times even the support boat will struggle!

Still an impressive feat even if he quit today, but why make the ridiculous claims that he will do it in 100 days when that was clearly impossible for any swimmer!
ed_m

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You only track channel swims via the boat.... why is tracking boat position a problem now ?
Symes

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the difference between them is that on the channel swim it's one non-stop trip rather than the multiple times a day of getting off and on again with this challenge, no close tracking to show the boat going back to where he was picked up from for his rest/food stops.

Stronger mind and muscles than joints, what a b@stard
SGreg

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ed_m wrote:
You only track channel swims via the boat.... why is tracking boat position a problem now ?

I don't think it is provided it's only done when he is in the water and the coordinates match the in/out locations.

Channel Swims are continuous and as such it's bit more transparent whats happening. And this is the point. If it were clear what was being tracked that would make a lot more sense but there is nearly no transparency on what that tracker is tracking!

This is a challenge conceived and promoted on Social Media, in an age of cheap and reliable GPS Trackers and Strava. It is not an old school attempt at distance swimming but a modern social media publicity stunt. The lack of GPS/Strava data in that context is all a bit odd.

They could so easily update Strava after each swim which would provide a HUGE Social interaction with the attempt, I am sure they could easily have got Garmin/Strava to add a little to the kitty and help drive promotion further.

Just seems a simple thing to neglect when it's all about promotion, unless there is something fishy afoot?

Still if he has been in the water for 6-8+ hours every day for 44+ Days I still tip my hat to the guy, even if he's swimming on the spot!
tin pot

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could it be the reliability of Swim gps data?

My recent 10.4km half Iron swim for example.
Sprint '16 1h17, '14 1h40, '13 2h01
Half Mara '16 2h04, '14 2h07
Trail 10K '16 54:01 '13 54:46
stenard

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seriously?!
100 miles of swimming in 3 days?
Confused
Symes

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems pretty realistic, previously just over 300 miles in 41+ days and then this...

Shocked

Stronger mind and muscles than joints, what a b@stard
gingerbongo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come on. Most people would struggle to run 100 miles in 3 days. In fact, probably ride 100 in 3 days! Shocked Mad

Still, from the odd FB thing that has popped up on my feed, the fanboys are noshing it all down. Probably all those from IMJ! Rolling Eyes Very Happy
GrahamO

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could drift 100 miles in three days in the Irish sea.

Whats the problem - its only a 2 knot current to do that ?

Or 6 knots if he bobbed along for 8 hours a day.
SGreg

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GrahamO wrote:
You could drift 100 miles in three days in the Irish sea.

In exactly the right direction?

It was my initial thought, he clearly hasn't swum 100miles in 3 days in static water but the Irish sea isn't static. Seem a little unrealistic to think it's towed him in exactly the right direction the whole way through. Again A GPS tracker would have silenced all doubt...
GrahamO

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SGreg wrote:
In exactly the right direction?

The route plot on the picture doesn't show exactly the right direction as it just shows a northerly route which could just be going with the flow.

Last edited by GrahamO on Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Off-Topic All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: