Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Non-wetsuit swimwear

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tin pot

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:39 am    Post subject: Non-wetsuit swimwear Reply with quote

So what’s the preferred swimwear if there’s no wetsuits?

I swam at Hever in my usual(sleeveless) trisuit without thinking about it, probably about two-three minutes slower. I didn’t realise how much mud and silt had got into it until the race was over which may have contributed to saddle discomfort.

Speedos?

Trishorts?

Buoyancy shorts?

Or screw the cost, swimskin over trisuit?

Or something else?
Sprint '16 1h17, '14 1h40, '13 2h01
Half Mara '16 2h04, '14 2h07
10K ‘18 50:31 '16 54:01 '13 54:46
Mungo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was IMUK Non wetsuit?

I was on Hunters hill most of the morning, and several people were tracking athletes that were way down on the swim.

I say several its more like 50-60...!?

The support on hunters was amazing. The atmosphere was inspiring, and thats as a spectator.

Will Clarke jumping off and running past several age groupers pushing his bike shows what a horrible little hill it is?!

Im in next year, and am a "staedy" swimmer in a suit, without...whats the cut off?!
stenard

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If wetsuits are banned, you can't wear buoyancy shorts.

I picked up a swim skin on the cheap and wore in a pool sprint (throughout the race) earlier in the spring. My swim was shockingly fast, for me. They really do seem to make a difference.
Tri'ing Swimmer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Currently wondering the same. Trisuit has ease for transitions so think it's what I'll go for, but wondering what swim speed is between normal training trunks/shorts and a trisuit, to make sure time saved in transitions/bike/run is worth the drag from the trisuit.
fat buddha

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TP - if wetsuits are banned, you can't wear buoyancy shorts so you will need to find another solution.

swimskins are allowed in open water, non-wetsuit events but with 3 provisos under BTF rules

1. for swims up to 1500m (standard distance) you must keep the swimskin on for the duration of the event.

2. for swims above 1500m (middle/long distance) then you can wear a swimskin but it must be removed in T1

3. it must only be made of a woven/braided/knitted textile material and not contain any neoprene or polyurethane sections (a la wetsuit)

this rule was brought in to partly align the ITU rules with WTC/IM rules where 'skins have been allowed for some time

frankly you're better off finding a tightly fitted trisuit - maybe with sleeves - that doesn't bag in water
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Gear All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: