Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Time to walk away‽

View previous topic :: View next topic  
antht

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:03 pm    Post subject: Time to walk away‽ Reply with quote

Then itís time to walk away!
Had a #@?# of a race on Saturday and decided enough is enough, itís not fun
Got elbowed hard in the face near the start of the swim then at the end of the swim the marshalls drag you out onto the pontoon whether you need to or not! Iíd have rather climbed out myself then get dragged and smashed against the pontoon
With a bloody lip and bruised shins I asked myself why

When I started Triathlon it was about racing and trying to win, but now that Iím older, Iím more interested in health
So from now on, Iíll be training but not racing
fat buddha

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fairy nuff

but why not do some volunteering in the sport and put something back?? coaching or becoming a Tech Official kind of thing
stenard

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Time to walk away‽ Reply with quote

antht wrote:
Then itís time to walk away!
Had a #@?# of a race on Saturday and decided enough is enough, itís not fun
Got elbowed hard in the face near the start of the swim then at the end of the swim the marshalls drag you out onto the pontoon whether you need to or not! Iíd have rather climbed out myself then get dragged and smashed against the pontoon
With a bloody lip and bruised shins I asked myself why

When I started Triathlon it was about racing and trying to win, but now that Iím older, Iím more interested in health
So from now on, Iíll be training but not racing

Sometimes a break can help.
Out of interest, have you had any races you've enjoyed recently? I felt the same after a short string of Standard distance races in the middle of the year. I realised I was racing them for the wrong reasons. Since ditching others on the schedule, and focusing instead on longer races I really wanted to do, I've become a lot happier and more motivated.

I guess my point is, triathlons are not all the same. Maybe you can find something else in the swim-bike-run arena that captivates your mind again? Swimrun is definitely on my to-do list at some point.
TRO Saracen

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds a bit drastic after a couple of incidents in a race. Incident free, would you enjoy it?

I've quit a few times 'in the heat of the moment' - getting bashed to f%&k in the IM Wales mass start 2012, the rain apocalypse of Big Trentham half, bike disaster of Norwich 2015, couple of spells of serious knee injuries etc etc.

But for every sh&t moment I must have had 15 euphoric moments and races that make everything worthwhile.

FWIW I train to race, training without racing would do my nut in...
doug

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rather than walk away how about switching track ?

I only did one tri last year and have none at all planned for this year, instead over the past few years I've been focussing more on ultrarunning, long distance hikes, swimrun and even (I know this is cheating) sw1mbling.

Find something else you enjoy, it might reinvigorate your enthusiasm.
fruit thief

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two sides to every story. There's someone out there right now telling how, at the start of the swim, some dude faced him hard in the elbow. And a pontoon owner complaining that a swimmer went all Jackie Chan and shinned it to bits

Wink

Hope all mends swiftly

Know exactly what you mean though . Mid 40s here and very aware of risks of overuse injuries and maybe long term joint health, I have come to prefer short distance for this reason. Also managed to fall off my bike at 38kmh commuting a few weeks ago - not much healthy about that. Going fast and doing races is fine if its fun, but what is long term goal? Mine is still to be able to move fluidly and strongly when I'm old.
explorerJC

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fruit thief wrote:
Two sides to every story. There's someone out there right now telling how, at the start of the swim, some dude faced him hard in the elbow. And a pontoon owner complaining that a swimmer went all Jackie Chan and shinned it to bits

Wink

Very Happy

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2018 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: