Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Recommendations

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Homer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:04 am    Post subject: Recommendations Reply with quote

Counting on your wealth of experience and knowledge and looking to purchase a road bike which will help me get up the hills a little quicker. I realise that training and legs are the main tools to help me get up the hills, but a good bike can surely help a bit too. Not looking to spend anymore than around 3.5K. The Cervelo R3 seems like a nice bike, but there's so much choice.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Buzz_

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.pinarello.com/en/bike-2018/e-bike/nytro
should help up the hills
Chrace

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got a 2017 Venge for 2.3k. Add wheels, powermeter and bike fit and I'm still below that. Venge might not be dedicated climber but it does damn nice for me.

I'm sure similar deals will be around online for more climbing specific frames (if that's really what you need?).
kevb

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look 785 Huez

https://uk.ciclimattio.com/s/look/785-huez-full-new-ultegra-2018/?id=20866&m=32688
mattsurf

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For climbing the most important aspect is weight of wheels as rotating mass does make a big difference.

Everyone will have their own opinion, I have a Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Disc, with a set of Roval CLX 32 wheels, the wheels are 1250g for the set and the bike weighs 6.9kg, with a set of Pirelli PZero TT tyres and latex tubes. It is an awsome climbing bike, but not as fast as aero road bikes like the Venge or Canyon's aeroroad. I have a TT bike if I want fast, but the Canyon is my go to bike, I love the way it rides, the way it handles and the overall feel

If you look at Canyon's web site, they often have bikes with more than 1000 discount in their factory outlet, these are either ex-demo, or customer returns, and are sold with full warranty, mine had a 1300 Euro discount, and was pretty much unmarked

If you want to be really cool, have a look at their ex-pro bikes, these have bigger discounts, often come with a power meter, and are at the UCI minimum weight limit, and are probably the ultimate climbing bikes. They also come with a full as new warranty
Homer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you guys. All food for thought and will go away and have a good look around for the best options. Not great on hills and keep doing battle with them. Determined to improve and what's the downside to buying another bike? Laughing
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
mattsurf

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattsurf wrote:
For climbing the most important aspect is weight of wheels as rotating mass does make a big difference.

Everyone will have their own opinion, I have a Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Disc, with a set of Roval CLX 32 wheels, the wheels are 1250g for the set and the bike weighs 6.9kg, with a set of Pirelli PZero TT tyres and latex tubes. It is an awsome climbing bike, but not as fast as aero road bikes like the Venge or Canyon's aeroroad. I have a TT bike if I want fast, but the Canyon is my go to bike, I love the way it rides, the way it handles and the overall feel

If you look at Canyon's web site, they often have bikes with more than 1000 discount in their factory outlet, these are either ex-demo, or customer returns, and are sold with full warranty, mine had a 1300 Euro discount, and was pretty much unmarked

If you want to be really cool, have a look at their ex-pro bikes, these have bigger discounts, often come with a power meter, and are at the UCI minimum weight limit, and are probably the ultimate climbing bikes. They also come with a full as new warranty

My picture is half way up an 11%, 1000m hill climbing Time Trial, where I came 4th (out of 35). The guy in front of me has a Cevelo R3, I know him well, and I am much quicker on the flat bits, but he kicks my ass up hill
Tony Stark

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you lot believe that anything more than a well-fitting reasonable bike is making significant difference either on the hills or the flat then the advertising dollars are being well spent.
mattsurf

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony Stark wrote:
If you lot believe that anything more than a well-fitting reasonable bike is making significant difference either on the hills or the flat then the advertising dollars are being well spent.

You are absolutely correct, the biggest difference is the rider's strength, technique and fitness

My commuting bike is a 2000 Sepcialized S-Works Festina, on my 35km commute to work, my quickest time is just over a minute slower than I set on my road bike.

If I look at a big climb, my road bike is quicker, but only by a few seconds - which may be significant if racing, or trying to get to the top quicker than the other members of your club, or chasing a top 10 Strava segment
tin pot

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red ones are faster.
Sprint '16 1h17, '14 1h40, '13 2h01
Half Mara '16 2h04, '14 2h07
Trail 10K '16 54:01 '13 54:46
Chrace

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony Stark wrote:

Then again, I went and got a Trek Precision Fit fitting the other day. It ain't cheap (listed as 175) so I expected small wonders based on what everyone on here always says about getting a fit is better value than anything else.

As it turns out, my own "that looks about right" and "I think my seat needs forward a tad, maybe up a bit" ended up with very minor change after a 3 hour session. My peanut-shaped stroke profile was near oval, my efficiency didn't change during the session, and main change was yet another new saddle for comfort (been through like 7 or 8 of them now) which may or may not be nicer. I did get some insoles which we'll see if I can stick with or not (ok-ish on the bike, but horrible to walk in). The fitter even lowered the price quoting he hadn't actually done that much.

Marketing hype can come from either side it seems, including this forum.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Gear All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: