Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Weird effort/pain/ache thing whilst riding

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gingerbongo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:34 am    Post subject: Weird effort/pain/ache thing whilst riding Reply with quote

Ok, a little help please.

So Iíve been forced onto my bike for the last 2.5 weeks due to my car dying. I must admit that I have been kind of enjoying it (even though my bike is absolutely wrecked, with only about 25% of my gears actually available to me), itíd just be nice to have the choice of whether or not I ride!!

My problem is that I seem to pedal in a way that uses a very particular area of my leg, most noticeable when going uphill in the saddle. This is made worse by 2 days of my cycling week being on the MTB towing my daughter in the trailer, so lots of seated climbing (relatively speaking). I seem to put all the pressure through a small region at the bottom of my quads. That little bit that sticks out over and to the side of your knee if you were to tense your legs whilst standing up.

EDIT** - Vastus medialis would be my guess from a quick Google fu

Is this a) poor bike fit b) weird pedalling style c) Iím just weak or d) other?

Cheers
GB
explorerJC

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All possible. Knee extension and patella tracking is pretty important in cycling!

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2018 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
stenard

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sound like your VMO. As ejc suggests, it's pretty important in patella tracking.

I can't recall them off the top of my head, but from a number of team sport based knee issues, from simple bangs and bruises through to ligament reconstruction, there were a number of VMO strengthening exercises I was given over the years. I'm sure you can find some online.

I definitely wouldn't say its weird. Just look at photos of cyclists. They all have very pronounced VMO's. It's potentially your ultra training meaning that area has just weakened/is not as strong as it ideally would be for cycling and has been stressed with a sudden higher volume of cycling.

https://www.bicycling.com/training/a20023377/how-to-build-this-iconic-cycling-muscle/
I'm not saying this is a good article, I haven't even read it all, but it was just evidence that a quick Google search says recruiting the VMO when cycling is definitely not "weird technique".
gingerbongo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, that makes sense. Just had the call and the car is fixed ... so look slike it doesn't matter any more anyway! Very Happy Very Happy

I will try to ride once a week still ... at least whilst the weather is nice. But now i can get back to running again!!

Cheers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: