Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
IM70.3 St Polten 2019

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
TheNorthernRogue




Joined: 24 Jul 2018
Posts: 4
Location: Ooop norf

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:54 am    Post subject: IM70.3 St Polten 2019 Reply with quote

Hello all

New member here. Have entered 70.3 St Polten for next May. Just seeking any advice from veterans regarding such things as:
- course info
- accommodation options
- any other info

Long time lurker, so thought it was time to register! Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
hammerer
Site Admin



Joined: 19 Nov 2007
Posts: 16548
Location: Right Next Door To Hell

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

welcome!

I did it in 2010, the two lake swim is awesome. the bike course is stunning, varied with a 20k opener down a closed autbahn, 3 climbs , rolling section along the danube and a section through the vinyards. Its potentially quite fast even though there is one biggish climb and a couple of leg busters mainly due to the very fast straight descents, especially back into town. Descent off first climb is a little sketchy though. The run has changed i think as they moved trasnition. It was split which although not a bug split meant too much time on feet the day before. We finished inside the tennis stadium with a two lap run that looped through it about 6 times . I beleive the tennis stadium is transition now.

I stayed at a hotel called the graf in the town centre through nirvana back then which meant they busses us everywhere. Jorgan is the expert on all things Austria 70.3 though and Im sure will be along soon to answer as well..
_________________
Blog
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TheNorthernRogue




Joined: 24 Jul 2018
Posts: 4
Location: Ooop norf

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hammerer wrote:
welcome!

I did it in 2010, the two lake swim is awesome. the bike course is stunning, varied with a 20k opener down a closed autbahn, 3 climbs , rolling section along the danube and a section through the vinyards. Its potentially quite fast even though there is one biggish climb and a couple of leg busters mainly due to the very fast straight descents, especially back into town. Descent off first climb is a little sketchy though. The run has changed i think as they moved trasnition. It was split which although not a bug split meant too much time on feet the day before. We finished inside the tennis stadium with a two lap run that looped through it about 6 times . I beleive the tennis stadium is transition now.

I stayed at a hotel called the graf in the town centre through nirvana back then which meant they busses us everywhere. Jorgan is the expert on all things Austria 70.3 though and Im sure will be along soon to answer as well..


Great insight - thanks! Sounds ideal, just what I'm looking for from my first overseas IM/IM70.3
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Honest Robbo




Joined: 07 Jun 2010
Posts: 33
Location: Teesside

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did this race in 2014, agree with all comments so far - I'll add just a couple of observations.

Prepare for any weather... in 2013 the swim was cancelled due to the rough weather, the locals told me it was freezing! In 2014 when I did it, it was full on scorchio!

I stayed in a hotel quite close to St Polten train station, it's a lovely town. Short train ride to Vienna, good for a short break.

Just a word of warning for the bike course... I had a nightmare that was completely my own fault. The Gansbach climb (60-68km-ish) is no joke, especially for an average cyclist like me. Had a standard chainset on having climbed Inca in Mallorca 70.3 the previous year with the same setup no problem, so I guessed I'd be OK. Wrong... I promptly ran out of gears and ended up mashing the pedals for about 4km... quite a few walked up the steeper sections. Combined with the weather and the end result was full leg cramps - both legs - for the descent. Loadsafun... Got 500m into the run before the cramps came back... 13 miles of shuffling in the baking sun. More fun... Laughing

Lesson learned... Never raced a hilly course without a compact chainset since!

A great race, but the worst racing experience of my life Mad
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TheNorthernRogue




Joined: 24 Jul 2018
Posts: 4
Location: Ooop norf

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honest Robbo wrote:
I did this race in 2014, agree with all comments so far - I'll add just a couple of observations.

Prepare for any weather... in 2013 the swim was cancelled due to the rough weather, the locals told me it was freezing! In 2014 when I did it, it was full on scorchio!

I stayed in a hotel quite close to St Polten train station, it's a lovely town. Short train ride to Vienna, good for a short break.

Just a word of warning for the bike course... I had a nightmare that was completely my own fault. The Gansbach climb (60-68km-ish) is no joke, especially for an average cyclist like me. Had a standard chainset on having climbed Inca in Mallorca 70.3 the previous year with the same setup no problem, so I guessed I'd be OK. Wrong... I promptly ran out of gears and ended up mashing the pedals for about 4km... quite a few walked up the steeper sections. Combined with the weather and the end result was full leg cramps - both legs - for the descent. Loadsafun... Got 500m into the run before the cramps came back... 13 miles of shuffling in the baking sun. More fun... Laughing

Lesson learned... Never raced a hilly course without a compact chainset since!

A great race, but the worst racing experience of my life Mad


Thanks for the insight. Not a great climber myself (being 6'3", 16st!) so I'll make sure I'm prepared for that one!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
hammerer
Site Admin



Joined: 19 Nov 2007
Posts: 16548
Location: Right Next Door To Hell

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheNorthernRogue wrote:
Honest Robbo wrote:
I did this race in 2014, agree with all comments so far - I'll add just a couple of observations.

Prepare for any weather... in 2013 the swim was cancelled due to the rough weather, the locals told me it was freezing! In 2014 when I did it, it was full on scorchio!

I stayed in a hotel quite close to St Polten train station, it's a lovely town. Short train ride to Vienna, good for a short break.

Just a word of warning for the bike course... I had a nightmare that was completely my own fault. The Gansbach climb (60-68km-ish) is no joke, especially for an average cyclist like me. Had a standard chainset on having climbed Inca in Mallorca 70.3 the previous year with the same setup no problem, so I guessed I'd be OK. Wrong... I promptly ran out of gears and ended up mashing the pedals for about 4km... quite a few walked up the steeper sections. Combined with the weather and the end result was full leg cramps - both legs - for the descent. Loadsafun... Got 500m into the run before the cramps came back... 13 miles of shuffling in the baking sun. More fun... Laughing

Lesson learned... Never raced a hilly course without a compact chainset since!

A great race, but the worst racing experience of my life Mad


Thanks for the insight. Not a great climber myself (being 6'3", 16st!) so I'll make sure I'm prepared for that one!


Im 6'5 and a good 95kg. climb wasnt that tough in my opinion, had a TT bike with 39/25 smallest gear. it wasnt easy dont get me wrong but not crazy tough. I do rememebr commenting to one guy half way up saying fuck sake we have a half marathon to run after this
_________________
Blog
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jorgan




Joined: 12 Nov 2007
Posts: 17443
Location: alles was ich bin, alles was ich war

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morgen.

Just watch-out for the verge on the second left hander after the first feed on the bike; the grass sticks out about 5cm too far. Tsk Very Happy Laughing Wink
_________________
26 Years since it all began....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jorgan




Joined: 12 Nov 2007
Posts: 17443
Location: alles was ich bin, alles was ich war

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Hammerer says, since we did it last (I did 2008, '09 & '10) there have been some changes to the run & transitions. Originally, T2 was just outside the stadium and you racked your own bike in arrival order, then collected your run bag. Back in those days, the big pain was queuing after the race to collect your T1 & Street Wear bags, so the earlier you finished and headed to collect them... the better.

The swim & bike remain the same. That first descent after Feed 1 is pretty technical and fast (I have passed an ambulance dealing with a rider on it before!) and I would advise caution - or a recce if you had a car. Personally I never did, so first time it was a bit hairy, but luckily dry. Make sure your brakes are well sorted. The excellent road surfaces will account for much of the speed you can comfortably maintain.

I always drove over from the Munich area, so had a car and stayed outside St Polten (Hotel Seeland) where the parking was easy, good for a shakedown ride and quiet. It was about a 15-20 min drive to race site from there. If you don't have a car, then the city centre makes sense - although it's still a bit of a trek from the sports complex iirc.
_________________
26 Years since it all began....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
  Share
 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum





Home | About TT | Privacy Policy | Terms and Conditions | Advertising | Contact TT
Copyright ©2003-2015 TriTalk®.co.uk. All rights reserved.