Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Edco Monoblock

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daz

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:02 am    Post subject: Edco Monoblock Reply with quote

Guys,

Anyone bought/used the Edco monoblock?

Have to make a decision whether to spend 140 on one of these to convert my old (9/10 speed) Sub9 Zipp disk wheel to a 11 speed to go with the new bike.

I can probably get a few 00 for the disk if I sell it now, which will go towards a new wheel. If I buy the monoblock then I'm good to go again (as long as it fits OK).
BUT.....surely the disk will devalue rapidly over the coming years as less people will require a 9/10 speed. And also, won't the Edco monoblock wear down like any normal cassette in a couple of years anyway?
Chrace

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends how much you like the disc.

There are alternatives to the Edco bloc - quite a few are offering to machine down 11sp cassettes to be fitted on 10sp hubs. I've seen prices from 20-40GBP for the service.

I'd expect the wheel to devaluate, yes, but if it's a nice wheel like that it's still a lot cheaper than upgrading to 11sp disc. And then to 12 when that comes out. And then to disc brakes.
Daz

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh god don't mention disk brakes. Forever changing and making those of us who don't have huge pockets look very retro!
I'll give the monoblock a go as not sure I like the sound of machining things down. By the time 12spd is the norm I'll probably be too old to continue racing.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Told ya - a disc that was good 10 years ago, is still a good disc now Wink I would eek out the life of that Sub-9 for as long as possible; although at some point like me, you might have to start stock piling tubs Smile
Daz

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Good point

On gears - what do you reckon?
It's bumpy here in Shropshire but if it's too tough a route I can always just drop the disk. At the cost of an edco I need to get ratio right.
Thinking 11-25 for some decent power on flat while still getting me up some hills....?
Jorgan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daz wrote:
Very Happy Good point

On gears - what do you reckon?
It's bumpy here in Shropshire but if it's too tough a route I can always just drop the disk. At the cost of an edco I need to get ratio right.
Thinking 11-25 for some decent power on flat while still getting me up some hills....?

Seems reasonable. Plus you could use smaller chainrings if you have 110 BCD cranks? I use 52/36 & 12-23 normally, but plan to get a 50/34 when I sell my P2Max and move to power pedals; I simply don't use the 52-12 tbh.
JaRok2300

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before you fork out 140 check how close your rear mech is to the skin of the disc as I believe the Edco (or a machined) cassette will put the biggest sprocket slightly closer than it is now.
If you don't have any room now then it may not be possible.

There is an alternative method that is much cheaper which is to use an ordinary 11sp cassette and remove one sprocket so you end up with a 10speed cassette on 11 speed spacing. The instructions are on Dark Speed Works website.
mattsurf

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JaRok2300 wrote:
Before you fork out 140 check how close your rear mech is to the skin of the disc as I believe the Edco (or a machined) cassette will put the biggest sprocket slightly closer than it is now.
If you don't have any room now then it may not be possible.

There is an alternative method that is much cheaper which is to use an ordinary 11sp cassette and remove one sprocket so you end up with a 10speed cassette on 11 speed spacing. The instructions are on Dark Speed Works website.

I have done both - currently have an Edco on Tandem, previously ran tandem with an 11 speed with the 15 ring removed

The problem with removing a sprocket is that it makes changing difficult to setup well, I always had an issue going 14 to 16 or 16 to 14 as it didn't mesh well due to alignment of teeth. It does work, however, I found this a source of frustration, especially as the jump is right in the middle of the range, so you are constantly going up and down.

The Edco is very light, but not perfect, shifting is not as smooth as shimano Ultegra, but it does work well. I also had a manufacturing defect on my first Edco Cassette, the smallest ring has very tight tollerence, and it disintegrated on the first ride, I suspect to a milling or casting defect, it was replaced no problem.

An Alternative may be to run an SRAM 1190 cassette with an Edco ring, like the Edco, the SRAM 1190 is a single forging, however, it shifts better than the Edco. I do have an SRAM 1190, but not tried it on my Tandem
Jorgan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattsurf wrote:

An Alternative may be to run an SRAM 1190 cassette with an Edco ring, like the Edco, the SRAM 1190 is a single forging, however, it shifts better than the Edco. I do have an SRAM 1190, but not tried it on my Tandem

In the instance above, are you talking about an Edco lock-ring? (rather than sprocket - rings are on your cranks btw Wink )
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Gear All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: