Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
IM Switzerland Race Report
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JeffB

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've noticed some very sharp athletes at the top end of the field and seemingly getting a few more, very surprised at the times of some in the M50-54 A\G, I realise some have just got better genetics than me and maybe more time to train but some raise more suspicion. The whole work\life stress thing is a big factor though.

In Frankfurt 2 years ago the M45 winner either went Sub-9 or within seconds, despite not breaking an hour for the swim, although sometimes you find out they were ex-pro's but that's an odd one in any race.

As you say though, you are still improving and had a few issues at the weekend so I wouldn't give up just yet, but don't get to obsessed with it, targeting something like sub-10 might be more rewarding.

Jeff
mattsurf

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JeffB wrote:

As you say though, you are still improving and had a few issues at the weekend so I wouldn't give up just yet, but don't get to obsessed with it, targeting something like sub-10 might be more rewarding.

Jeff

I am in a bit of a turmoil about targeting sub 10.... I find it annoying that some of the most popular triathlons, are the flat fast courses where you can get a PB, while some of the more challenging, but undoubtedly better courses struggle to survive because they don't offer a PB potential.

I would like to think I could do sub 10 in Barcelona... but would it be the right thing to do?
Wheezy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess The important thing is the process. Do what you need to do to improve and see where that leads, rather than focusing on a time or specific race.
Doca

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done on your race Matt & a quality report too.

I feel I am a little similar to you; a late arrival to triathlon & chasing a Kona qualy place. I did a 10:55 in Austria in 2015 & a 10:20 in Italy last year. I have made good progress this year and will see how close I can get at Wales in September. KQ is probably unlikely without a mega performance & some luck but I don't think it is impossible.

I also know that Kona probably isn't all it is cracked up to be but I think the achievement required to qualy is the main motivation.

In any case I am enjoying the process & getting faster each year.

I have also booked Austria again next year to tick of a sub 10 Wink
mattsurf

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's good to hear Doca, I guess I am about a year behind you. I believe that Zurich is a very comparable course to Austria. I also like the look of Italy, might do that one day.

I am with you on KQ being the main motivation rather than the event itself. However, for the next 8 weeks I am switching focus onto 70.3 ahead of Weymouth
Jorgan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tuckandgo wrote:
I hate to be the 'bad egg' but in my experience (of lots of people I know, not just my own) is that if you have trained effectively for 18months - 2 years gains after that are just marginal.

The multiple Kona Qs I know (who were all also pretty sturdy FOP at Kona) pretty much 'just did it' without any multi year grind.

Agree. I've been on a plateau for about 10 years! I went from nothing (well a 10 year hiatus) to 10:09 in 12 months, and only got 9 mins faster over several more years, including bike commuting when I went 10:00 & 10:07. Unless I could try doing 20h plus a week (not practical at the moment), I'm not sure anything (legal) will work.

I'm 10 years older now too, so I'm just playing the 'fight the decline' game. I'm back in a job commuting by bike again, so that might help me get back down to low 10 again if I go long (10:28 last year off about 10h/week). Turn 45 in Feb. The biggest difference I notice, is how getting stronger on the bike helps my run, provided it's ridden well.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattsurf wrote:
I am in a bit of a turmoil about targeting sub 10.... I find it annoying that some of the most popular triathlons, are the flat fast courses where you can get a PB

Don't do it Laughing I ended-up having my 10:00:44 near miss on a rolling course in wind & rain in the end, it just happened to be the year I was fittest. My 10:07 was in Austria, which is by no means flat, and the constant up/down doesn't suit me (I prefer longer steady climbs/power output).

The best place for you to KQ is probably an Inaugural event on a sporting course, where uptake is reduced i.e. Cork.
TRO Saracen

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tuckandgo wrote:
I hate to be the 'bad egg' but in my experience (of lots of people I know, not just my own) is that if you have trained effectively for 18months - 2 years gains after that are just marginal.

The multiple Kona Qs I know (who were all also pretty sturdy FOP at Kona) pretty much 'just did it' without any multi year grind.

I think there's a lot of 'multi year grinders'. Yes there are some outliers, great genetics who get the KQ quickly and can repeat at will, and they get the majority of slots.

But there's a lot of us who need everything to go well - we're in a pack of 'nearlies' just behind hoping to be the one who gets that last slot behind the two outliers finishing 1 and 2 15 mins up the road.

Every year we have to try to accrue another 3-4 mins of marginal gains, hoping that on race day we're fit, fresh, well prepared and the one out of the 'nearlies' who executes 100% and gets the luck in that outliers don't hoover up all the slots that particular year.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TRO Saracen wrote:
Every year we have to try to accrue another 3-4 mins of marginal gains, hoping that on race day we're fit, fresh, well prepared and the one out of the 'nearlies' who executes 100% and gets the luck in that outliers don't hoover up all the slots that particular year.

Yeah, with Ironman, whether it's KQ or a PB, you have to have a 'good day'... on top of being in peak fitness.
TRO Saracen

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mattsurf if you are on a multi year KQ journey then interim targets are good to keep the motivation high and keep the journey going - both IM and single sport related.

Sub 10 IM is a good one, and even on a fast course is a decent challenge - yes that includes at Barcelona. Sub 10 at IM Italy, which is IMO 15-20 mins slower the Barcelona would be a real challenge and thus achievement*.

*unless you join the draft packs, in which case it's easy
SGreg

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just got back from a holiday in Hawaii, My Second in 4 years. and I intend to be back within 4 years to stay for good! Just need to wait for Numbnuts to get out the whitehouse

Just get on a plane and go to Hawaii if you want. It's awesome, you don't need to KQ to Go and enjoy the Windsurfing!

I wouldn't say it's the best holiday destination in the world but it is.

I'd hate to ruin a trip to the islands messing about racing an IM!
Runtilyoudrop2

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattsurf wrote:
JeffB wrote:

Jeff

I am in a bit of a turmoil about targeting sub 10.... I find it annoying that some of the most popular triathlons, are the flat fast courses where you can get a PB, while some of the more challenging, but undoubtedly better courses struggle to survive because they don't offer a PB potential.

I would like to think I could do sub 10 in Barcelona... but would it be the right thing to do?

Well done on your race. IMA is quicker than IMCH.

Have done 15 IMs with pb of 9:24 and never got to Kona. I think your fuelling strategy is right if only drinking water with e tabs and gels are isotonic. Otherwise you donít have enough hydration to absorb the gels. Practice your nutrition ona five hour bike. You should finish and not be hungry.

Re Kona some try and fail. Long time training partner qualified this year ag50-54 at IMUK trick is to run 330 or thereabouts. If you can do this after swim and run you will be ball park.

If anyone knows how to get the 330 please let me know. Very Happy

So try for Kona. I reckon 2-3 years to get best performance if training consistently and do get a coach with proven Kona palmares.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Runtilyoudrop2 wrote:

If anyone knows how to get the 330 please let me know. Very Happy

In my case, I need to be under 40 again; either that or it's 'Second child ironman run syndrome'.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: