Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Disc brake users - your verdict?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whisk

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chrace wrote:
Had a chat with the local Trek dealer the other day. They have been advised that for 2019/2020 they need to clear their stock of rim brakes since only low level kitted bikes (max 105) will be delivered with these going forwards. All new models will be discs. I think it's Cannondale they also do and had the same message from there. I predict some cheap rim brake bikes being dumped in September/October if you want one.

Specialized are doing the same, only conversely the top end Tarmac will be one of the few bikes still available with rim brakes. I guess a lot of the GC riders still prefer rim brakes.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMHO disc brakes are worth the kit upheaval. However, press-fit BBs are another matter! Creaking bikes are now commonplace; this never happened before press-fit.

Bring back threaded!
Chrace

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
IMHO disc brakes are worth the kit upheaval. However, press-fit BBs are another matter! Creaking bikes are now commonplace; this never happened before press-fit.

Bring back threaded!

Amen to that. Much easier (and less nerve-wrecking) to change as well.
Hiphophopper

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My thoughts are disc brakes are only worth the upgrade if you are looking to buy a complete new bike...if you already have a moderately good one with a half decent wheelset, its probably not going to be worth while.

I have discs on my CX/training bike and they do make a difference, especially in winter.

On my TT bike, I use Swissstop Black Prince Pads which give as good, if not better braking on my carbon wheels than I get from my alloy wheels, even in the wet. Ive just other carbon specific pads, but these ones are in a different league.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiphophopper wrote:

On my TT bike, I use Swissstop Black Prince Pads which give as good, if not better braking on my carbon wheels than I get from my alloy wheels, even in the wet. Ive just other carbon specific pads, but these ones are in a different league.

Thanks for the heads-up, I've always just used Yellows. Which Black Prince, Pro or Evo?
Davem

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So - how much of a PITA are disc brakes when you have to take both wheels off after every ride (for storage)?

50%? 85% or a full 100% PITA?
Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davem wrote:
So - how much of a PITA are disc brakes when you have to take both wheels off after every ride (for storage)?

Less than 50%, and of course you get used to it. There are different specs of course, which can affect the 'faff' time...

'Easiest' is cable actuated with standard QR.
Longest is hydro with thru-axle.

You should stick some wedges between the hydro pads to stop accidental actuation (as they stay closed) if you're squeezing it into a small space. But this set-up is technically way better than cable/QR - I have both set-ups, plus TT with rim brakes.
Davem

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
Davem wrote:

Less than 50%, and of course you get used to it. There are different specs of course, which can affect the 'faff' time...

You should stick some wedges between the hydro pads to stop accidental actuation (as they stay closed) if you're squeezing it into a small space. But this set-up is technically way better than cable/QR - I have both set-ups, plus TT with rim brakes.

cheer Jorgan

Will be in the market for a new bike (or two) after the divorce is finalised

her solicitors were rubbing their hands at the prospect of adding my "bike collection" into the asset mix.

a 2008 Scott Plasma - worth 300?
a 2009 felt road bike - worth 200?

just about the same value as one of her handbags...

Rolling Eyes
FatPom

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
Davem wrote:

On my spare bike that I keep at my Mum's house, I have the RAT system, fastest of the lot. Cool
Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FatPom wrote:
On my spare bike that I keep at my Mum's house, I have the RAT system, fastest of the lot. Cool

That looks like a good system, but I don't know how they can claim it's even better (quicker) than traditional QR, as you still have to 'thread' the axle through the fork.
FatPom

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
FatPom wrote:

That looks like a good system, but I don't know how they can claim it's even better (quicker) than traditional QR, as you still have to 'thread' the axle through the fork.

True but you don't have to get it past any lawyer tabs and there is no re-alignment needed. I don't know why Focus don't licence it and I'm at a loss as to why Cervelo doesn't use it as both brands are owned by PON.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Gear All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: