Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Ironman Wales 2018 - 9th September
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 14, 15, 16  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TRO Saracen

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also like 'me' time prior to the race - oddly for the 2-4 days before but not day before itself as other people around help get my mid off the race.

The 2-4 days out period I use to suss the location/venues, faff with kit/bags, get the last training in, test kit. Late pm 2 days out the idea is to have everything done that possibly can be done - bags packed, drinks mixed, race day stuff laid out, the lot. Then evening 2 days out and day before I try and do the minimum 'race' related stiff to switch off so company helps.

I really dislike being rushed, having lots to do or not knowing where things are etc in that last 36 hours.

Some races I have got right, others wrong and it's mostly related to not following that template. Bolton 2013 springs to mind, Saturday was 6-7 hours stuck in traffic jams, rushing from site to site, not knowing where things were etc. Total stress, terrible race performance.
FatPom

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TRO Saracen wrote:
I also like 'me' time prior to the race - oddly for the 2-4 days before but not day before itself as other people around help get my mid off the race.

The 2-4 days out period I use to suss the location/venues, faff with kit/bags, get the last training in, test kit. Late pm 2 days out the idea is to have everything done that possibly can be done - bags packed, drinks mixed, race day stuff laid out, the lot. Then evening 2 days out and day before I try and do the minimum 'race' related stiff to switch off so company helps.

I really dislike being rushed, having lots to do or not knowing where things are etc in that last 36 hours.

Some races I have got right, others wrong and it's mostly related to not following that template. Bolton 2013 springs to mind, Saturday was 6-7 hours stuck in traffic jams, rushing from site to site, not knowing where things were etc. Total stress, terrible race performance.

This is why for me, arriving on Thursday is very valuable. You don't have to drive in a hurry, you can get registered, unpacked and suss out places to eat, shops etc. Also gives more time for anything 'unexpected.

Strangely, post race, I like to leave as soon as I possibly can on Monday morning. Probably keen to see the family, or making sure my legs can push the clutch in before the onset of DOMS. Very Happy
Ed27

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All

Ironman Wales is going to be my first (attempt) at Ironman - just hoping I can make it to the finish within the cut-offs!

I have a few questions - hoping some of you who have done it before may be able to help...

The event info which was sent out yesterday states no bike pumps are to be left in the transition bags that are there overnight. I was planning on taking a small hand pump to go in the back of my jersey in case of a puncture out on course (apparently there are pumps provided in transition) but how do you get round this if you want to take a pump out on the ride with you?

Also are the changing tents located fairly easily to get to from transition? I was planning on taking bib shorts for the cycle, but the thought of running to get my bag and then have to head out of my way to get changed is putting me off this idea!

Finally - Tenby itself. I'm assuming you need to book for dinner on the Fri/Sat nights? Is it super busy and if so is there anywhere people can recommend?
Unfortunately I can't make it down until Friday eve, so I'm going to have to register and attend the briefing on Saturday morning before heading to transition with my bike/bags...it sounds like it's going to be a bit of a rush, but am staying fairly central in Tenby so hoping it will all work out okay.

Cheers!
TRO Saracen

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed27 wrote:
Hi All

Ironman Wales is going to be my first (attempt) at Ironman - just hoping I can make it to the finish within the cut-offs!

I have a few questions - hoping some of you who have done it before may be able to help...

The event info which was sent out yesterday states no bike pumps are to be left in the transition bags that are there overnight. I was planning on taking a small hand pump to go in the back of my jersey in case of a puncture out on course (apparently there are pumps provided in transition) but how do you get round this if you want to take a pump out on the ride with you?

Also are the changing tents located fairly easily to get to from transition? I was planning on taking bib shorts for the cycle, but the thought of running to get my bag and then have to head out of my way to get changed is putting me off this idea!

Finally - Tenby itself. I'm assuming you need to book for dinner on the Fri/Sat nights? Is it super busy and if so is there anywhere people can recommend?
Unfortunately I can't make it down until Friday eve, so I'm going to have to register and attend the briefing on Saturday morning before heading to transition with my bike/bags...it sounds like it's going to be a bit of a rush, but am staying fairly central in Tenby so hoping it will all work out okay.

Cheers!

1. Not read the info but I think the no pump thing is related to great big track pumps as they tend to split the bags - and thus you are usually not allowed to store them in your white streetwear bags.
A small handpump - you could attach to your bike overnight, or bring it on the morning?
You shouldn't have access to your run and bike bags on the morning anyway (you can normally ask for access but they accompany you to the bag).

2. Change area is part of the transition tent - ie grab bag, run through the bag peg area to the change area, get changed, hand used bag to volunteer, then run out of tent to transition. I think there is a 'private' area within the tent if you are stripping down for Male and female so that would add some time but its all on your route through the tent.

3. Tenby is super busy but I've always found somewhere on the night, as there's many eateries and they're all looking for our dollar and loads of places.

Good luck, hope it works out. You've picked a great great race and the crowd will carry you home.
FatPom

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TRO Saracen wrote:
Ed27 wrote:
Hi All

Cheers!

1. Not read the info but I think the no pump thing is related to great big track pumps as they tend to split the bags - and thus you are usually not allowed to store them in your white streetwear bags.
A small handpump - you could attach to your bike overnight, or bring it on the morning?
You shouldn't have access to your run and bike bags on the morning anyway (you can normally ask for access but they accompany you to the bag).

2. Change area is part of the transition tent - ie grab bag, run through the bag peg area to the change area, get changed, hand used bag to volunteer, then run out of tent to transition. I think there is a 'private' area within the tent if you are stripping down for Male and female so that would add some time but its all on your route through the tent.

3. Tenby is super busy but I've always found somewhere on the night, as there's many eateries and they're all looking for our dollar and loads of places.

Good luck, hope it works out. You've picked a great great race and the crowd will carry you home.

Just to add to this. I'm 'pretty sure' there is no access to bags in the morning. I wouldn't sweat about it, you can put your hand pump in your bags on Saturday as there is always someone in transition willing to lend you a pump and the race has a few itself.

If you really wanted to take your pump and use it Sunday morning before the start, you could always carry it to the swim start and put in the purple bag that you use to run from swim exit with.

Places to eat, I've never booked but have only been either single or with one other and I eat early (like 6pm early). There is a place called Blueberry's where you get a decent pasta feed and a drink for just about one voucher, it's a no fuss place.

You get vouchers towards dinner, just check places will take them (most will).

More importantly, do you have parking at your hotel? There can be some serious schlepping at Tenby otherwise.
Ed27

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies and the info

I'm getting the train to Tenby from London (with a change in Swansea) which is why I can't make it down until 6pm on the Friday...
Expecting the trains to be pretty rammed too, although I've already booked my bike on-board so that should be okay!
FatPom

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed27 wrote:
Thanks for the replies and the info

I'm getting the train to Tenby from London (with a change in Swansea) which is why I can't make it down until 6pm on the Friday...
Expecting the trains to be pretty rammed too, although I've already booked my bike on-board so that should be okay!

Cool. Where are you staying? (I'm in Atlantic)
Ed27

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh cool - I'm in the Imperial so same area
I've not been to Tenby before but the review I read said it was a good location for the Ironman Finish which is all I'll be concerned about on Sunday night I reckon
FatPom

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed27 wrote:
Oh cool - I'm in the Imperial so same area
I've not been to Tenby before but the review I read said it was a good location for the Ironman Finish which is all I'll be concerned about on Sunday night I reckon

Totally a good location. We do get the added 'bonus' of running past our hotels 4 times. Oh how I laughed about it in last year's rain and wind. Wink
Ex-Squaddie59

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Gents itís only 3 weeks to go now and I must admit Iím hoping for better weather than last year. That said I did the Outlaw 3 weeks ago and that was honking. Water was like an open sewer, stunk so bad and tasted even worse. They made the swim 3 laps due to the wind, but the rest stayed the same. Bike was hard due to the 40mph winds.

Had a rest for a few weeks so next two weeks will be my final ditch at training. My family and myself are staying in the Premier Inn so as FP mentioned about running past his accommodation 4 times last year.

Looking forward to getting to Tenby on Friday night, beautiful place. Stay safe everyone and happy final training
FatPom

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ex-Squaddie59 wrote:
Well Gents itís only 3 weeks to go now and I must admit Iím hoping for better weather than last year. That said I did the Outlaw 3 weeks ago and that was honking. Water was like an open sewer, stunk so bad and tasted even worse. They made the swim 3 laps due to the wind, but the rest stayed the same. Bike was hard due to the 40mph winds.

Had a rest for a few weeks so next two weeks will be my final ditch at training. My family and myself are staying in the Premier Inn so as FP mentioned about running past his accommodation 4 times last year.

Looking forward to getting to Tenby on Friday night, beautiful place. Stay safe everyone and happy final training

Sounds good mate. We are currently on a surfing holiday in Devon. I booked it before I had plans to do IM Wales. Itís the Ďalternativeí approach! Very Happy
SidSnot

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Numbers are out http://eu.ironman.com/~/media/7e1bc0629c404805a09af3e5bf9bc9e3/ironman%20wales.pdf

I'll start the list:-

1503 Stephen Mott
FatPom

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Numbers are out http://eu.ironman.com/~/media/7e1bc0629c404805a09af3e5bf9bc9e3/ironman%20wales.pdf

I'll start the list:-

1503 Stephen Mott
2229 Ian Loxton
Doca

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1503 Stephen Mott
2229 Ian Loxton
1491 Brett Daughtrey
Ex-Squaddie59

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll continue the list..!!

1503 Stephen Mott
2229 Ian Loxton
1491 Brett Daughtrey
144 Conrad Lawson - Ex-Squaddie 59 Handshake

Just wondered if anyone has any idea of next years potential date??? just thinking about accommodation..already..!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 6 of 16

Jump to: