Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Winter Ballbuster
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jibberjim

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Race1+ wrote:
I'm not Sagan, but to me the sketchy decent near there is Pebble Hill Road. Which is horrible if its raining!

(The one that goes down towards Betchworth Train Station from the bottom of Box Hill. )

Nope, although that would be a safe descent on a closed road, but no chance of the police agreeing to it on an open, it's an easy 70odd km corner! Juniper is the Box Hill descent you use, it's very rough with pretty sharp hedgerow bends, so you can end up coming round a corner into something, it really depends how fast you ride it, like most things.
Whisk

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Race1+ wrote:
Whisk wrote:

They stack you bumper to bumper in the car park...

How am I going to get the bike in or out of the car if I cant get the bloody tailgate up? Stand on the bonnet of the car behind? Confused

Bumper to bumper might be a slight exaggeration as you should have enough space to get your bike out of your car, but you certainly won't be able to get out of the car park until the cars around you have moved.
ed_m

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jibberjim wrote:
Race1+ wrote:
I'm not Sagan, but to me the sketchy decent near there is Pebble Hill Road. Which is horrible if its raining!

(The one that goes down towards Betchworth Train Station from the bottom of Box Hill. )

Nope, although that would be a safe descent on a closed road, but no chance of the police agreeing to it on an open, it's an easy 70odd km corner! Juniper is the Box Hill descent you use, it's very rough with pretty sharp hedgerow bends, so you can end up coming round a corner into something, it really depends how fast you ride it, like most things.

It's sketchy more due to narrowness... there are a few tighter curves as you come off the common and the hard left into the valley but after that it's narrow and fairly blind.
Expect someone coming past on tt bars on the wrong side of the road round a blind left hander. Rolling Eyes

Was sketchy enough when I did It several years ago before this sh!t all got more popular... these days I shudder to think !
It's not like human race have a reputation to regain now is it Wink

Wonder if grumpy is still about...
http://www.tritalk.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=96945
http://www.fed-up-on-box-hill.co.uk/
tuckandgo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in.

Desperately unfit and never done a duathlon before. Something tells me I'm either going to go slowly or it's going to get messy.

Still 50/50 on TT or RB. If it was (is) dry and closed roads it would be a no brainer TT for me but otherwise it needs to be more considered.

Hadn't even looked at the course (a friend entered me) but now I have it really is a running race with a bit of a bike in the middle. Rolling Eyes
PhilleusPhogg

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tuckandgo wrote:
I'm in.
Still 50/50 on TT or RB. If it was (is) dry and closed roads it would be a no brainer TT for me but otherwise it needs to be more considered.

I did a couple of test runs last year beforehand trying out RB and TT for similar power outputs over 3 laps, and for me at least, the TT came out a clear winner. Used it in the race despite it being wet, although I went with the training wheels in the end IIRC for better breaking.

The descent isn't overly technical really, the limiting factor is more how willing you are to take risks overtaking people round blind bends on a (not closed) narrow road rather than road vs tt, It can get congested, particularly if you're lapping people on the 2/3 laps. Either way, there's certainly a fair amount of time to be gained on the top section by being aero.

I actually made the decision based on which one I found more comfortable; 3 laps on the RB trying to be aero killed my arms!
tuckandgo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PhilleusPhogg wrote:
tuckandgo wrote:
I'm in.

I did a couple of test runs last year beforehand trying out RB and TT for similar power outputs over 3 laps, and for me at least, the TT came out a clear winner. Used it in the race despite it being wet, although I went with the training wheels in the end IIRC for better breaking.

The descent isn't overly technical really, the limiting factor is more how willing you are to take risks overtaking people round blind bends on a (not closed) narrow road rather than road vs tt, It can get congested, particularly if you're lapping people on the 2/3 laps. Either way, there's certainly a fair amount of time to be gained on the top section by being aero.

I actually made the decision based on which one I found more comfortable; 3 laps on the RB trying to be aero killed my arms!

Thank you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: