Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Garmin Edge 1030?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
b0redom

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:06 pm    Post subject: Garmin Edge 1030? Reply with quote

Hi All,

Does anyone have a Garmin Edge 1030? Having struggled with RideWithGPS and a Mio 505 (explore more because our routing is #@?#!) I'm considering buying one to act as a proper satnav for commuting to work in London.

The blurb reckons that it uses heatmaps of routes uploaded to Garmin Connect to ensure that it doesn't send you around the M25 or some gravel/mud 'cycle' path which would be fine on a MTB but not so much on a carbon rimmed roadie.

Anyone have any real life experience with one?
Thames Turbo Race 1 - 1:20:15
Varchery Olympic - 3:21:19
Chantilly half iron - DNF - mechanical failure Sad
Hever Half Iron - 7:42:09 - the hills! Dear God! The hills!
ttowel

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got one, and its so much better than the 1000.

The trick is to upload your own routes from Strava or similar but it is a great piece of kit.
Whisk

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Wahoo Elemnt is worth a look. It's not as "pretty" as the Garmin alternatives, but the interface with the phone app is really good and downloading routes from Ridewithgps couldn't be easier.
b0redom

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is that the Wahoo element doesn't (as far as I can see) support routing on the device. I've tried using RideWithGPS, but if you don't know the roads/routes etc, it tries to send you the wrong way down 1 way roads, unsuitable tracks etc.

I was hoping the 1030 avoided all that.
Thames Turbo Race 1 - 1:20:15
Varchery Olympic - 3:21:19
Chantilly half iron - DNF - mechanical failure Sad
Hever Half Iron - 7:42:09 - the hills! Dear God! The hills!
Whisk

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you mean by routing on the device? The Elemnt works in conjunction with the app on your phone, so the device itself is fairly simple and all the clever stuff happens on your phone. Route planning on the fly should be possible -

https://wahoofitness.yonyx.com/y/conversation/?id=086c1920-53dd-11e8-8f6c-bc764e10d166
GrahamO

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ttowel wrote:
I got one, and its so much better than the 1000

Other than better battery life, care to expand ?
jay clock

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got mine and a lot better than the 1000. Bigger screen (doesn't look much bigger until turned on, then a lot better. And much sharper.

In terms of navigation, 99% of the time I preplan routes on RWGPS and follow the GPX> takes a bit of fiddling to get set up - PM me if you want settings.

I have not used for nav on the fly yet

Battery states as 15-20 whereas I think the 1000 was 10-15. As i actually got 6-7 on the 1000, the 1030 should get about 10 I would hope
iron snorks

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whisk wrote:
The Wahoo Elemnt is worth a look. It's not as "pretty" as the Garmin alternatives, but the interface with the phone app is really good and downloading routes from Ridewithgps couldn't be easier.

I've got a 1030 which supports internal routing when you go off course. The Whoo doesn't do that as it doesnt have a brain as such to that job - you have to use your mobile.

The 1030 is a step up from the 1000 in terms of how long it lasts as the 1000 tended to die at an alarming rate!

With the extra battery the 1030 lasts up to 40 hours (as advertised) in routing mode I've had it last 33hours. Still pretty good.

I do find however that the mapping detail isnt quite as good as the 1000 but that could be where and the lack of quality mapping services (Malaysia) compared to the UK.

www.ridgesupplysocks.com
www.jaggad.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Gear All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: