Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Older TT bike worth the money? Cervelo Duel 2006

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jameshughesuk

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:06 am    Post subject: Older TT bike worth the money? Cervelo Duel 2006 Reply with quote

I'm thinking about buying my first TT bike - for Olympic and Half Iron distance.

I was intitially thinking of dipping my toys in the water with the Boardman Team TT bike: https://www.boardmanbikes.com/gb_en/products/880-road-tt.html

However I've been offered a Cervelo Duel 2006 for 350. The spec is much better but obviously its 12 years old. Its in amazing condition but with the technology ageing does this mean its not such a great buy?

http://www.bikesportmichigan.com/reviews/06CerveloDual.shtml

Thanks very much for any input
jibberjim

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the spec really that much better? What are the actual specs, I'm not sure the Dual was sold in the UK as a complete bike?

Certainly a 7800 Dura Ace equipped bike is still very very nice if the parts aren't excessively worn, and I would take it over the boardman. However anything below that I'd be more suspect due to 9-speed etc.

Other things to note, replacement mech hangers, can you get them, if not can you get a 3d model to get them made? Not sure there's anything else that is custom enough, although seatpost will also be a risk, much less of one of course.

350 for a dual is possibly a bit high guess it's in a popular size? either way it'll lose a lot less value if you flip it on in a year than a new bike.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still race on 10 Speed! I'd say the Cervelo is a steal for 350, and you can mitigate for that traditional front-end by putting something like a Torhans Aero 20/30 on the front.
jibberjim

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
I still race on 10 Speed! I'd say the Cervelo is a steal for 350, and you can mitigate for that traditional front-end by putting something like a Torhans Aero 20/30 on the front.

The dual might have 9-speed...
Whisk

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jibberjim wrote:
Jorgan wrote:

The dual might have 9-speed...

If it's a 2006 model then I think it should be 10-speed if it's dura ace or ultegra and the components were fitted to the frame new.

I bought my Isaac in 2005 and I fitted it with 10-speed Ultegra, which was a relatively new groupset. 10-speed 105 came a year or two later.
explorerJC

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

buy it just to hang it on the garage wall when you are done....

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2018 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
Jorgan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

explorerJC wrote:

Yep, a vintage Cervelo, and with a DA7800 group set, a crap-ton of bike for 350.
jibberjim

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
explorerJC wrote:

Yep, a vintage Cervelo, and with a DA7800 group set, a crap-ton of bike for 350.

It's more than the vintage cervelos in this house cost - although most of those are in small sizes, my old grey soloist was less than that 8 years ago, mind you that was in Canada.

But seriously think about the mech hanger, we had to get replacements machined for an Eyre. So it's the sort of thing that can leave you bike-less immediately before an event if one breaks.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jibberjim wrote:
But seriously think about the mech hanger, we had to get replacements machined for an Eyre. So it's the sort of thing that can leave you bike-less immediately before an event if one breaks.

Look at it as an opportunity. 1x is all the rage now Very Happy
jameshughesuk

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys - that's really useful! I'll update when I make my choice. Sounds like I need to investigate mech hangers first!
jibberjim

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jameshughesuk wrote:
Thanks guys - that's really useful! I'll update when I make my choice. Sounds like I need to investigate mech hangers first!

It actually appears to be the same as the soloist, so you should have no worry on that score, loads of 'em were sold for years and years and after-market ones are also available.

So yes, assuming it's 10 speed, go buy it, it's a good deal.
BigFoz

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still race on 9spd, never been a limiting factor for me. Tried 10 & 11, but gone back as they're more hassle to setup, maintain and need more fiddling, chains and sprockets chew through faster etc etc. However, I do run Campag, so while there is a smaller range of wheels with Campag freehubs, those that are available all take 9 / 10 /11 / and now 12.
jibberjim

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigFoz wrote:
I still race on 9spd, never been a limiting factor for me. Tried 10 & 11, but gone back as they're more hassle to setup, maintain and need more fiddling, chains and sprockets chew through faster etc etc. However, I do run Campag, so while there is a smaller range of wheels with Campag freehubs, those that are available all take 9 / 10 /11 / and now 12.

Yeah, it's not a limit from a riding perspective, it's the cost and ease of finding the parts, particularly if you need them in short time to make your race - if it's 10 or 11 you just borrow one from anywhere, with 9 you might have to hunt a bit more.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Gear All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: