Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Recommend me a mountain bike

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gus

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:15 pm    Post subject: Recommend me a mountain bike Reply with quote

Hi folks

As I'm trying to persuade my old frame (that's me, not the bike) to get back into shape, as well as starting running again shortly, I want to get out on the bike.

As winters up here in Scotland tend to kill road cycling quite early on, (and I can't face hours in the garage on the turbo) we have loads of great trails for MTB which is a much more attractive option.

So... I know SFA about MTB's, have a budget of around £200-250 and want to use a bike for primarily rough trail biking.

Any recommendations?

Am I best aiming for a really good bike (eg £1000) from 10 years ago, or a more modern but lower-quality bike? I notice there are loads of Specialized Hardrocks for sale 2nd hand around this price range...

Thanks in anticipation!

My 15 minutes of fame
Wheezy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No experience or knowledge Gus (so nothing new) but we've got a pretty active mtb group in my club. A few of them have a bog standard decathlon which they use in the worst of winter and they rate as a pretty good, get you in it at little cost, machine. They've got a couple of models for under £350
Chrace

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can pick up some real bargains on nearly unused MTBs.

People buy them as commuters and new year promises, don't get out of their cars and dump them.

I got a Kona Hoss as my first which had really good kit on it for 1/3 of the new price. It had been to the local pub twice...

I'd say try look on eBay and Gumtree for those near-new "used" ones. If you're not looking to go wild on the black trails then they are perfectly good and you can get pretty decent kit for £250.

Hardtail - don't get suckered in to full suspension at that price. They start not to break at £500 upwards 2nd hand, below that the kit is really bad.
Gus

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, that's helpful.

Chrace wrote:

Hardtail - don't get suckered in to full suspension at that price. They start not to break at £500 upwards 2nd hand, below that the kit is really bad.

That's a good pointer - I naturally aimed towards full suspension assuming it 'has to be better' but maybe I won't now.

Yep, been trawling Gumtree and Ebay....

My 15 minutes of fame
mattsurf

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

26 inch wheel bikes have very little value, so you can get a really high end bike for little money. Personally I would not go with a full suspension bike, as rear shocks have come along a long way, and the seals are likely to need replacing.
Gus

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you think this is someone selling a nicked bike?

https://www.gumtree.com/p/bicycles/mountain-bike-for-sale-bought-for-200-selling-for-25.-selling-due-to-relocation/1312900054

I can't quite identify the model from the photo but these Focus bikes seem to be going for >£1000 new...

Is there any central database of stolen bikes anywhere I could check (other than ringing the police)? It just seems way too good to be true which, in my book, means it is.

Also - this is way beyond what I was aiming to spend, but this looks like a top-end Trek, carbon frame:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Trek-Remedy-9-9-Mountain-Bike/302868863735

He's just up the road from me so very handy... and as far as I can see this is a £3k+ bike. If nobody else bid and I got it for £500 this seems like a steal to me, or am I missing something?

My 15 minutes of fame
mattsurf

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check Bikeregister.com

Better if it has receipts as proof of purchase.

I can't decide if it has 26'' wheels or 27.5'' - I think that it is 26

If 26, not worth 500, more like 300 max
Gus

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattsurf wrote:
Check Bikeregister.com

Better if it has receipts as proof of purchase.

I can't decide if it has 26'' wheels or 27.5'' - I think that it is 26

If 26, not worth 500, more like 300 max

Thanks. I did a search and on another stolen bike website, but nothing came up... still obviously very suspicious. The ad says he bought it for £200 so I assume he got it 'second hand' so handily wont have receipts. I don't know whether to have a look or not - a serious moral dilemma!

On the Trek - it says 26" wheels in the description, so your lower value I guess is more relevant. Nobody is 'watching' it which is unusual as all the good quality bikes have loads of watchers. I'll see how the auction goes and if it doesn't sell, I'll make him an offer.

My problem is when I buy kit, I either buy the cheapest of the cheap or I go mental and buy the top-end. I find it hard to compromise Very Happy

My 15 minutes of fame
Bluepoolshark

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hardtail all the way bud, won’t pick up anything worth having new for that money, but you should get something ok second hand easy. I paid £270 for a almost new 27.5 wheel Scott scale with decent gearing and an air fork few months back
Gus

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Pete.

Incidentally, if I can ever get back in shape again (life keeps getting in the way) I'm still up for a 'big' race before I get too old, if you're still game Wink

After all, you were the one who talked me into the Norseman...

My 15 minutes of fame
JeffB

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really an MTB'er but I got a hardtail Scott last year, it was in the sale and had about £1k off already, managed to get it on cyclescheme and paid the difference.

So managed to get a very good bike for a really good price, unless you are doing some serious MTB'ing I'm not sure you need a full-sus, lad at work has got one (Trek) and it's nice but he does do quite a bit with technical descents etc.

As has been mentioned, it looks like you can pick up some good ones on the forums etc.

Jeff
Chrace

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ask to go see the Trek.

Review of that model here.

Offer to take it on the spot for 300, he'll say "oooh no" to which you answer "ok, then what are we talking?". He might go 450, you'll say "you're saving 10% ebay and 3.4% paypal so that's already 400 cash compared to ebay, so what are you looking for cash in hand", he'll say 400, you'll say the rear shock will need a service, and you'll target 350.

The bike is fine, Hope brakes are easily serviceable (prob 200 new on those there) and if you are not going red/black trail the rear shock won't need a service. 26" wheels are still around since that was the standard for like 20 years. Spare parts will be around for a while.

It'll be a fair bit softer on your rear than a hardtail... Smile

The Focus, not so sure. It looks like this one which was about 750 eight years ago. I'd stay clear since you're likely to spend a fair bit on stuff breaking in the near future.
Gus

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Christian, that's helpful guidance.

That Trek had one bid at £499 last night, but since then the auction ended saying 'no bids' so I'm not sure what happened - unless someone bid, then withdrew it and did a deal outside of Ebay with him. I'll give him a couple of days then contact to see if he did sell it or not.

My wife has already read me the riot act if I buy a new bike (oh, familiar story) - but the compromise seems to be 'if you tidy the garage and hang up your other bikes on the wall' there may be some softening in her position Very Happy

Also, it seems that these MBR break a lot... everyone keeps referring to things breaking and needing replacing... hadn't thought about that, thought they were supposed to be rock solid! A learning curve, obviously...

My 15 minutes of fame
Chrace

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They break because they get chucked around, crashed and dragged repeatedly through mud and grit. Think of being a kid again playing in mud. It's great fun. But yes, doing that tends to break them more than a road bike.

If you're pottering around on tow paths they'll last an eternity.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Gear All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: