Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Zwift, anyone from TT land on it?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Poet.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had my first go on it the other evening, for the 30 minute block power session.

I didn't really enjoy it - maybe because I don't understand it?
It's just about hitting numbers for a set period of time?
I can have a piece of paper with my numbers and times for intervals in front of me - with some TV/podcast on in the background...

...I barely looked up during my session, so the graphics were neither here nor there.

I'll be giving it another go next week (WattBike session this week), as loads of people rave about it...
hammerer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poet. wrote:
I had my first go on it the other evening, for the 30 minute block power session.

I didn't really enjoy it - maybe because I don't understand it?
It's just about hitting numbers for a set period of time?
I can have a piece of paper with my numbers and times for intervals in front of me - with some TV/podcast on in the background...

...I barely looked up during my session, so the graphics were neither here nor there.

I'll be giving it another go next week (WattBike session this week), as loads of people rave about it...

I used to use it with power only and whilst it was ok it really comes into its own with a proper smart trainer. climbing the alpe with a neo is a challenge. to be honest i use it more to either just spin or for a free ride. I prefer sufferfest for training and am even looking likely to go back to trainer road with the ITU videos or you tube vids in the background. Zwift is probably gonna go when the price rise hits in november (Im on the "grandfathered" special rate still

Last edited by hammerer on Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jorgan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hammerer wrote:
Zwift is problably gonna go when the price rise hits in november (Im on the "grandfathered" special rate still)

Yeah, I'm questioning the value of £11.99/month at the moment; I must have used it once in the last 4 weeks Rolling Eyes I should probably just keep hold of my Power2Max and stick it on my commuter bike, and use that for intervals instead, as I have plenty of open stretches.

Idea
FatPom

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still like it. I have a smart trainer and it works well. Only thing that's annoying is something like hare and hounds race where you get a lot of people that have never raced and don't understand how to work together, so I avoid those now.

I the Over/Under workout, it's pretty hard. I did one of the ST rides once, tried to keep up Rapp and ended averaging 260 watts for 80mins. I didn't go back. Shocked

I never use the app or communicate with others. Private account with 5 permitted followers.

I'm grandfathered until Nov.
JaRok2300

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Poet."]

That's the conclusion I came to too so now use options that don't require a subscription but still get the same training effect (Bkool for real routes and Veloreality for intervals)

This will be my first winter with a power meter and smart trainer. I like the idea of power matching for consistency with outdoor rides but from (admittedly very limited) experiments so far I don't think Bkool does that.
I did a short session on Veloreality last night and whilst I didn't change any settings it picked up both trainer and powermeter and the way it responded to power changes seemed different to normal so I think it may have been doing it.
Chrace

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. I've got a trainer with power but not active resistance and I'm not going to spend 800+ on a smart trainer unless there's a really damn good reason to. Zwift doesn't sound like the magic bullet.

I am one of those who can absolutely wreck myself on a turbo by own motivation. I know a lot need a carrot or whip to do so but I don't so probably less use of a system like that.

I'm also pretty good at imagining climbing by hitting a high gear or resistance and grinding it for 10 mins. Not sure why I need active resistance to do that?
Jorgan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zwift certainly provided the motivation on the trainer I needed tbh. I used it quite a bit when I was off work, but now I rarely ride indoors. If I can commute by bike and train at lunchtime, it means I can have evenings with family & then veg-out; which I'd prefer to training if possible.

The races are nuts, but a great way of riding at threshold+ for extended periods.
Poet.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just done a WattBike session with the iOS App and big screen in front of me, with one other real life person riding next to me.

Brilliant session, much preferred it to Zwifting.

Jorgan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poet. wrote:
Just done a WattBike session with the iOS App and big screen in front of me, with one other real life person riding next to me.

Brilliant session, much preferred it to Zwifting.

It might be my eyesight, but I think the average power starts with '1' Very Happy
Poet.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup. Spot on.
My Watt/KG also starts with a 1
PCP

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iím still a big fan. Riding 2-4 times a week most weeks using a Zwift training plan. Also log on to some of the group sessions which are good
Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poet. wrote:
Yup. Spot on.
My Watt/KG also starts with a 1

That's a typo. Even a bike-weed like me can get well over 3w/kg; although I must do another FTP when I get the time/inclination, as I suspect it'll be higher now judging by the IF on my 72k ride the other day.

I bet you make loads of gains in the first 12 months, then hit a plateau like I did!
Poet.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a Typo, Jorgan :'(

My last actual sustained effort was an evening 10TT on August 8th.
NP for that was 202W.
I was 89.3kg when I left home for it.
I weighed 87.5kg when I got home after it.

That gives me a W/kg of somewhere between 2.2 and 2.3

As for yesterday's WattBike session, I was 84.2kg, but the WattBike Hub only accepts whole numbers, so had to use 85kg.

Warm up of 20 minutes: 152W, 1.78W/kg
HIIT of 4 minutes: 228W, 2.68W/kg
Cool down of 10 minutes: 109W, 1.28W/kg

Session average watts: 148.29W, 1.76W/kg

For now, I'm using the 202W from the TT as my FTP.
Going to get a few more Zwifts and WattBike sessions under my belt before doing a "proper" 20 minute test.

I also find the WattBike stats to be far better than those on Zwift.

(For reference: July 1st 2012 - 70.4kg, Outlaw bike leg - est. 195W)
(in 2010 and 2011, I was 69.7kg and rode the same-ish times all three years, but cannot find my files)
Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poet. wrote:

For now, I'm using the 202W from the TT as my FTP.
Going to get a few more Zwifts and WattBike sessions under my belt before doing a "proper" 20 minute test.

I also find the WattBike stats to be far better than those on Zwift.

(For reference: July 1st 2012 - 70.4kg, Outlaw bike leg - est. 195W)
(in 2010 and 2011, I was 69.7kg and rode the same-ish times all three years, but cannot find my files)

You'll get there.

I use a PM with Zwift - so obviously Zwift just reflects that, which is fine. Interested at your wattage for Outlaw. You were lighter than I am, and did higher watts: what was your bike split? iirc I did 5:22 off 165Av/175NP at around 72kg.
Poet.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
You'll get there.

I use a PM with Zwift - so obviously Zwift just reflects that, which is fine. Interested at your wattage for Outlaw. You were lighter than I am, and did higher watts: what was your bike split? iirc I did 5:22 off 165Av/175NP at around 72kg.

I know - shouldn't take long...

Bike splits at Outlaw were all around the 5:20 mark.
It might be Strava doing the power from my current weight? But the KoMs from way back when are still showing on the overview, even though they've long been surpassed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9

Jump to: