Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Ironman Lanzarote 2019 - The Thread!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mudman

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in for 2019.
Having shuttled between Lanza and various places for a couple of years, the plan is to permanently move to our place in Nazaret in October. So that should give me plenty of time to go out and play on the bike course. And time to shift a few kg so I can get up those hills Rolling Eyes
Stivrunning

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mudman wrote:
I'm in for 2019.
Having shuttled between Lanza and various places for a couple of years, the plan is to permanently move to our place in Nazaret in October. So that should give me plenty of time to go out and play on the bike course. And time to shift a few kg so I can get up those hills Rolling Eyes

wow jealous & great news for 2019
George11965

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone uses Strava. The IM Lanza 2019 Strava club has just been created...

https://www.strava.com/clubs/468551
Stivrunning

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dick swinging club formed Rolling Eyes
duckhen

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stivrunning wrote:
dick swinging club formed Rolling Eyes
winter training in the UK ........no dick swinging going on here
Stivrunning

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After insisting I was having a year off from lanzarote in 2019 ,I am now entered & accommodation booked
Funnily enough my wife was not surprised Cool
GeordieM

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whats the lowest gear folks plan to run? I did the race 10 years ago but can't recall how steep the climbs are! M del Rio gets a bit sharp at the top maybe 10% max? So, maybe 39x28 (36.7") for a 75 kg male? Ta
Whisk

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeordieM wrote:
Whats the lowest gear folks plan to run? I did the race 10 years ago but can't recall how steep the climbs are! M del Rio gets a bit sharp at the top maybe 10% max? So, maybe 39x28 (36.7") for a 75 kg male? Ta

I used my road bike this year for various reasons, so my lowest gear this time was 36x28.

The previous 5 times I used my TT bike with a 39x25 lowest gear. I'm usually about 90kg at race weight and I've gone under 6 hours three times on the "old" course.

If I used the TT bike there again I don't think I'd go lower than 39x25. The steepest climbs are the section past the windmills between Los Valles and Mirador de Haria and bits of the del Rio climb. Otherwise, the climbs aren't too steep and it's the combination of gradient and wind that kills you.
Muriel

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whisk wrote:
GeordieM wrote:

I used my road bike this year for various reasons, so my lowest gear this time was 36x28.

The previous 5 times I used my TT bike with a 39x25 lowest gear. I'm usually about 90kg at race weight and I've gone under 6 hours three times on the "old" course.

If I used the TT bike there again I don't think I'd go lower than 39x25. The steepest climbs are the section past the windmills between Los Valles and Mirador de Haria and bits of the del Rio climb. Otherwise, the climbs aren't too steep and it's the combination of gradient and wind that kills you.

I'm sue this 'argument' has been murdered to death on here but are we saying that it's better to be on a TT bike out there because of the wind/aero thingy? I have an old and what you'd call heavy TT bike by modern day standards and add to that the faff of packing etc etc etc I was planning on hiring a top end road bike and doing it on that? I'm no climber and I'm certainly not there to compete but take part. Any help on this would be appreciated.
Whisk

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't used my TT bike since Lanza 2015 and the bad winter that we had this year didn't make it conducive to getting some decent miles on the TT bike ahead of Lanza, so I wasn't keen on the idea of using the TT bike this year. You always see people in the later stages of the race who aren't able to hold the aero position for the whole race and are going slowly on the bas bar, looking really uncomfortable, so I was weary of taking the TT bike if I wasn't confident that I could ride the TT bars for the whole course.

Added to that, I'm sponsored by Specialized for the stuff that I do for HotChillee and they weren't keen on the idea of me riding another brand.

I did the IM on a Specialized Venge, so a very aero road bike, but I didn't go with clip-on tri bars because that would have required me to swap out the standard handlebars in order for me to have something to clip them onto. Just to be clear, the Venge is a VERY fast bike. It accelerates really easily and holds the speed well. The deep rim Roval wheels are excellent in the wind too, so no worries about using a 64mm front wheel in the Lanza winds.

My experience on race day was this -

For the first long climb up the donkey track to the middle of the island I was sure that I had the right bike. I was passing loads of people on TT bikes all the way up. However, once I got to the top it felt a bit like I'd brought a knife to a gun fight. People on TT bikes came flying past me all the way down to El Golfo.

I was generally more comfortable and quicker on the climbs, but on the less steep climbs/flat sections and sweeping descents I was losing ground on the TT bikes. The road bike was better on the technical descents like the hairpins off Mirador de Haria and the donkey track descent, but they make up a relatively small part of the total race.

The road position was more comfortable than the TT bike would have been for the full 180km, but in the past I've been able to train myself to hold the aero position for the whole ride.

If I wasn't too bothered about the time, I think I would go with the road bike again because it is more pleasant for that type of distance on a relentless course. If I wanted to post a quick time, I'd definitely be looking to use a TT bike.
Muriel

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whisk wrote:
I haven't used my TT bike since Lanza 2015 and the bad winter that we had this year didn't make it conducive to getting some decent miles on the TT bike ahead of Lanza, so I wasn't keen on the idea of using the TT bike this year. You always see people in the later stages of the race who aren't able to hold the aero position for the whole race and are going slowly on the bas bar, looking really uncomfortable, so I was weary of taking the TT bike if I wasn't confident that I could ride the TT bars for the whole course.

Added to that, I'm sponsored by Specialized for the stuff that I do for HotChillee and they weren't keen on the idea of me riding another brand.

I did the IM on a Specialized Venge, so a very aero road bike, but I didn't go with clip-on tri bars because that would have required me to swap out the standard handlebars in order for me to have something to clip them onto. Just to be clear, the Venge is a VERY fast bike. It accelerates really easily and holds the speed well. The deep rim Roval wheels are excellent in the wind too, so no worries about using a 64mm front wheel in the Lanza winds.

My experience on race day was this -

For the first long climb up the donkey track to the middle of the island I was sure that I had the right bike. I was passing loads of people on TT bikes all the way up. However, once I got to the top it felt a bit like I'd brought a knife to a gun fight. People on TT bikes came flying past me all the way down to El Golfo.

I was generally more comfortable and quicker on the climbs, but on the less steep climbs/flat sections and sweeping descents I was losing ground on the TT bikes. The road bike was better on the technical descents like the hairpins off Mirador de Haria and the donkey track descent, but they make up a relatively small part of the total race.

The road position was more comfortable than the TT bike would have been for the full 180km, but in the past I've been able to train myself to hold the aero position for the whole ride.

If I wasn't too bothered about the time, I think I would go with the road bike again because it is more pleasant for that type of distance on a relentless course. If I wanted to post a quick time, I'd definitely be looking to use a TT bike.

You've pretty much described my plan to just be comfortable rather than giving any two hoots about pace or lack of it. Thanks for this really helpful. I literally can't face hours and hours on the turbo at home despite a good Zwift set-up and you'll need a bit of luck for the weather to be good enough in Feb, Mar and April to get out on a TT. It would be interesting to hear what people did for the 2018 race. The weather around me was shocking for 3 solid months. So much so, that even after all of that heat all summer the reservoirs around me were still at around 92% full.
iwaters

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Muriel wrote:

You've pretty much described my plan to just be comfortable rather than giving any two hoots about pace or lack of it. Thanks for this really helpful. I literally can't face hours and hours on the turbo at home despite a good Zwift set-up and you'll need a bit of luck for the weather to be good enough in Feb, Mar and April to get out on a TT. It would be interesting to hear what people did for the 2018 race. The weather around me was shocking for 3 solid months. So much so, that even after all of that heat all summer the reservoirs around me were still at around 92% full.

Training was horrific. I wanted to ride the TT as much as possible in training to make sure I was comfortable. I can't bare more than an hour on the turbo. It just seemed to be cold and wet the whole winter. I went out one day, took a spare pair of gloves with me in a bag. I stopped after a couple of hours and my hands were so cold and wet it took me 10 minutes to change the gloves. No mud guards on the TT either.

Depends on your training plan but if you have some power based tempo/threshold typs stuff I would do those on the TT on the turbo. Maybe use a roadie for your winter long roadies and then get the TT our in April when the weather starts to improve.
SGreg

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I think it's fair to say a TT Bike is far faster IF you are comfortable and adjusted to it and able to ride it Aero for the entire race (- some climbs)

If not you are likely to be faster on a road bike, or any bike you are more comfortable on. TBH this really applies for any race!

I only ride my TT and as such only use it for racing, even wales
SidSnot

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sshhh....I'm only lurking....but what are folks accommodation and flight recommendation?
iwaters

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SidSnot wrote:
sshhh....I'm only lurking....but what are folks accommodation and flight recommendation?

This year I stayed at the Club Gloria Izaru hotel in PDC. Its about 10 mins walk from the start / transition area but far enough away form the crazy town. Good facilities, kids club, pool, gym, sun lounger area (away from the pool , so quiet). Food was nice. We were half board so breakfast and dinner. Full buffet eat as much as you like. Nice rooms, well equipped. There were loads of triathletes (which may not be a good thing!) staying there.

Flights are the usual suspects. BA from Gatwick. Easyjet / Ryanair from Luton and others. I have flown Ryanair when I've gone on camp and Easyjet in May. Never had an issue with either.

Defo recommend a hard case for your bike. When we went in March on camp we watched as the baggage handlers dragged our bikes to the end of the plane and dropped them on the floor. They bent my fork dropout slightly
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: