Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
The sub 3 hour marathon training thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 387, 388, 389  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
twhat




Joined: 28 Oct 2011
Posts: 1242
Location: London

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doca wrote:
twhat wrote:
Anyone entered an autumn marathon ? I'm taking a few weeks off running at the moment while an Osteopath tries to 'release' a problem in my lower back. Seems to be going ok but im hoping to soon dive into an intensive 6 week programme for Dublin on october 27. In all likelihood it will flare up and i'll spend the rest of the year swimming and biking but if the Osteo does lay it successfully to rest i'll be looking to get in and around 3hrs. Anyone else attempted a marathon on such a short programme ? I did run ok at London this year and ran a 1.24 injury affected half in june so should have some fitness there.


I'm booked on to Abingdon marathon for another sub 3 attempt (3rd) 31st October. I got my place from the sub 3 Facebook page and they seem to be cropping up more frequently now the date is getting closer. It will be a short training plan for me also following a little break after IM Wales.


Should be interesting... that doesnt give you much time between the two at all does it ? Are you IM training with one eye on a quick marathon or just going to see where the multisport gets you ? I'd like to think that neither of us will be enduring 25c this time.....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
YKK




Joined: 23 Oct 2011
Posts: 295
Location: North&West london

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

twhat wrote:
Anyone entered an autumn marathon ? I'm taking a few weeks off running at the moment while an Osteopath tries to 'release' a problem in my lower back. Seems to be going ok but im hoping to soon dive into an intensive 6 week programme for Dublin on october 27. In all likelihood it will flare up and i'll spend the rest of the year swimming and biking but if the Osteo does lay it successfully to rest i'll be looking to get in and around 3hrs. Anyone else attempted a marathon on such a short programme ? I did run ok at London this year and ran a 1.24 injury affected half in june so should have some fitness there.


I am currently running two this autumn, Sydney and Auckland. Both look a little hilly, but hoping to go under 3 in both. They are 6 weeks apart so kind of ideal (and a lot easier than the Brighton/London combo from the Spring).

Last year I signed up to Nottingham 4 weeks before race day, knocked out 2 100k+ weeks and was good to go. Though I do seem to have an excellent running base year round these days.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Doca




Joined: 27 Feb 2014
Posts: 221

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

twhat wrote:
Doca wrote:
twhat wrote:
Anyone entered an autumn marathon ? I'm taking a few weeks off running at the moment while an Osteopath tries to 'release' a problem in my lower back. Seems to be going ok but im hoping to soon dive into an intensive 6 week programme for Dublin on october 27. In all likelihood it will flare up and i'll spend the rest of the year swimming and biking but if the Osteo does lay it successfully to rest i'll be looking to get in and around 3hrs. Anyone else attempted a marathon on such a short programme ? I did run ok at London this year and ran a 1.24 injury affected half in june so should have some fitness there.


I'm booked on to Abingdon marathon for another sub 3 attempt (3rd) 31st October. I got my place from the sub 3 Facebook page and they seem to be cropping up more frequently now the date is getting closer. It will be a short training plan for me also following a little break after IM Wales.




Should be interesting... that doesnt give you much time between the two at all does it ? Are you IM training with one eye on a quick marathon or just going to see where the multisport gets you ? I'd like to think that neither of us will be enduring 25c this time.....


My focus is on the IM. I'm hoping the fitness & endurance will carry over to the marathon and add in more speed work after the IM. I feel like I was in sub 3 shape for London, plenty of peeps with a slower time then went on to go sub 3 at Edinburgh a few weeks later.
If I don't get the sub 3 I at least hope get a GFA for London (3:05).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
twhat




Joined: 28 Oct 2011
Posts: 1242
Location: London

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Encouraging to hear YKK... i'd like to think the base is there, its more the fragility which will be an issue for me. Good luck in auz/nz
Doca, i had the same experience with London, loads of people i know ran much quicker at Manchester and Edinburgh. Reckon you'll be fine.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
gingerbongo




Joined: 21 Sep 2012
Posts: 1636
Location: Devon

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It'll all depend on how deep you go at Wales i suppose. A really hard worked IM could take a month out of you or more; but at least you have a nice focus to aim for during the big comedown.

Twhat - i think you have enough base to be able to cope with your targets. Worst case scenario is you keep hammering the bike to hold your aerobic endurance and then fit in key running sessions. Tempo and long runs to make sure that the legs are strong enough to cope with the inevitable battering of a marathon.

YKK - you seem to have a lot of base mileage, your strava is very consistent and you did a cracking job at your earlier double! I'm guessing it'll be pretty warm though in these two, certainly Sydney?!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JeffB




Joined: 04 May 2008
Posts: 1266
Location: Middlesbrough

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got Chicago which is 6 weeks on Sunday (OMFG).

Sadly there's not even a sniff of a sub-3 unless someone chases me with a gun for the entire race.

I deferred from last year so just looking to enjoy the holiday and get round as quick as possible in as little pain as possible.

I did manage 24k yesterday which was my second longish run in 3 days, it wasn't too bad but a couple of my niggles had a groan afterwards, particularly the knee where I had ITB earlier in the year.

I think it was the constant monotony of single pace even though it was on a track.

Current plan is a few longish runs, probably hilly so even if I'm walking the steep bits it's time on my feet, maybe getting towards 2:30 and a few long hilly bike rides, which will also help with the National 50 I've entered for late Sept.

Haven't entirely given up on Sub 3 but I don't think I'll be trying next year.

Jeff
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
YKK




Joined: 23 Oct 2011
Posts: 295
Location: North&West london

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gingerbongo wrote:

YKK - you seem to have a lot of base mileage, your strava is very consistent and you did a cracking job at your earlier double! I'm guessing it'll be pretty warm though in these two, certainly Sydney?!


I am trying not to think about the heat!

The three times where I have bopmbed in a race are all heat related (well that is my excuse!)
2012 Alp long course Dhuez - 35+ up AD and the run (walk).
2013 Outlaw - (The hot year) 30+ on the run
2018 Thames Path 100 - (just relentless heat all afternoon with no cover) The heat got me during the afternoon, though I picked up again once the sun went down.

However I did ok in London this year relative to others and that was hot and both Sydney and Auckalnd start at silly o'clock.

A bigger issue is that I like a few pints after a marathon I can see that is going to be a problem in Auckland when in theory I will be hitting before 9AM Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
twhat




Joined: 28 Oct 2011
Posts: 1242
Location: London

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YKK wrote:
gingerbongo wrote:

YKK - you seem to have a lot of base mileage, your strava is very consistent and you did a cracking job at your earlier double! I'm guessing it'll be pretty warm though in these two, certainly Sydney?!


I am trying not to think about the heat!

The three times where I have bopmbed in a race are all heat related (well that is my excuse!)
2012 Alp long course Dhuez - 35+ up AD and the run (walk).
2013 Outlaw - (The hot year) 30+ on the run
2018 Thames Path 100 - (just relentless heat all afternoon with no cover) The heat got me during the afternoon, though I picked up again once the sun went down.

However I did ok in London this year relative to others and that was hot and both Sydney and Auckalnd start at silly o'clock.

A bigger issue is that I like a few pints after a marathon I can see that is going to be a problem in Auckland when in theory I will be hitting before 9AM Smile


This is why I fancied Dublin. And the pretty much 0% chance of it being over 18c on race day/ the increased percentage chance of a nice cooling drizzle. To be sure to be sure etcetc
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tri'ing Swimmer




Joined: 15 Nov 2016
Posts: 163

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JeffB wrote:

I think it was the constant monotony of single pace even though it was on a track.


I assumed at the time you meant a track as in a forest trail, but just seen someone on strava ran a a track marathon today so thought I'd check? 105 laps of boredom Exclamation Confused
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
goldenboots




Joined: 01 Apr 2011
Posts: 81

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richmond Marathon on the weekend, haven't done the training really especially the longer runs at sub 3 pace, but hoping for a late boston entry so it's sub 3 or bust really.... Could be an interesting morning Dead
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Wheezy




Joined: 10 Oct 2007
Posts: 1779
Location: Sub 3 (elect)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

goldenboots wrote:
Richmond Marathon on the weekend, haven't done the training really especially the longer runs at sub 3 pace, but hoping for a late boston entry so it's sub 3 or bust really.... Could be an interesting morning Dead


Do or die! Good luck!
_________________
If it was easy, everyone would do it.
My Blog
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
YKK




Joined: 23 Oct 2011
Posts: 295
Location: North&West london

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So first one done.

Almost didn't make it as 9 days out I slipped carrying my daughter and strained my thigh. Coming from the era of "bucket of cold water and a sponge and she'll be alright" approach to injuries, I kept running and increased distance intensity back up and by Friday before I had a pain free run. So back on.

(It is also worth mentioning I also rode 30 mins on turbo 2 or 3 times a day at low intensity to keep the blood flowing)

Though not sure what was on, but at least I was going run.

Saturday was near 30 in Sydney but thankfully a change came in over night and it cleared over night leaving a very cold wind. This was second (and probably final) "elite" start and although there was no extras there was a tent that i could sit in to keep out of the wind.

Anyway, at the start I was surprised to see 2:50 & 2:55 pacer's. i decided to stick with one of them. Anyway about 1 1/2k in and running straight at a headwind I realised a large clump had grown around the 2:50 guy and I was in no mans land. Idiot.

So I caught up over the next k, I knew I would pay later, but 3:50ish into the wind and I made it. I hoped I could stick with it until 20k, but managed until 32k, a big downhill which was mashing my thighs followed by a sharp up hill popped me.

As this was kind of a B race I just let the pace drop and shuffled to the finish, just over 2:53, which given the above I am pretty pleased with. I suspect if I had waited for the 2:55 pacer to come by with a clump of people I could have got the same time, with a lot less pain!

Anyway another ticked off.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
gingerbongo




Joined: 21 Sep 2012
Posts: 1636
Location: Devon

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YKK wrote:
So first one done.

Almost didn't make it as 9 days out I slipped carrying my daughter and strained my thigh. Coming from the era of "bucket of cold water and a sponge and she'll be alright" approach to injuries, I kept running and increased distance intensity back up and by Friday before I had a pain free run. So back on.

(It is also worth mentioning I also rode 30 mins on turbo 2 or 3 times a day at low intensity to keep the blood flowing)

Though not sure what was on, but at least I was going run.

Saturday was near 30 in Sydney but thankfully a change came in over night and it cleared over night leaving a very cold wind. This was second (and probably final) "elite" start and although there was no extras there was a tent that i could sit in to keep out of the wind.

Anyway, at the start I was surprised to see 2:50 & 2:55 pacer's. i decided to stick with one of them. Anyway about 1 1/2k in and running straight at a headwind I realised a large clump had grown around the 2:50 guy and I was in no mans land. Idiot.

So I caught up over the next k, I knew I would pay later, but 3:50ish into the wind and I made it. I hoped I could stick with it until 20k, but managed until 32k, a big downhill which was mashing my thighs followed by a sharp up hill popped me.

As this was kind of a B race I just let the pace drop and shuffled to the finish, just over 2:53, which given the above I am pretty pleased with. I suspect if I had waited for the 2:55 pacer to come by with a clump of people I could have got the same time, with a lot less pain!

Anyway another ticked off.


It was far from flat as well!! Well done!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
twhat




Joined: 28 Oct 2011
Posts: 1242
Location: London

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome (again) YKK, and good luck in the next one !
My autumn marathon training never got going, struggled since june with a bad back. I'm now 9 days into a 4 week break from running, hoping to be back in time for XC season and a renewed assault on that 5k pb. Marathon running can wait until next autumn....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
goldenboots




Joined: 01 Apr 2011
Posts: 81

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wheezy wrote:
goldenboots wrote:
Richmond Marathon on the weekend, haven't done the training really especially the longer runs at sub 3 pace, but hoping for a late boston entry so it's sub 3 or bust really.... Could be an interesting morning Dead


Do or die! Good luck!


In this instance... die! Sad

Went off way too quick, started slowing at 20km. Halfway in about 1:28:00 or so but tiring already. Feet felt shredded from the gravel / rocky towpath sections and with nobody around me I had nothing, so decided to throw in the towel ahead of York in 4 weeks time.

So no Boston for me next year which would have been fun, but it's always there the next year. Hopefully I can get close to a sub 3 in 4 weeks time... planning a couple of big training weeks this week and next and then a bit more of a taper than last week

oh well...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 387, 388, 389  Next
Page 388 of 389
  Share
 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum





Home | About TT | Privacy Policy | Terms and Conditions | Advertising | Contact TT
Copyright ©2003-2015 TriTalk®.co.uk. All rights reserved.