Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Winter kit & light recommendations 2018....
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jorgan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guy I rode the 400 with had a dynamo, but it didn't seem to put out a huge amount of light by today's standards. The Lumicycle I had borrowed was putting out 900 Lumens in Medium, and was pi55ing all over it. He's a regular on the Transcontinental, so assume it was decent kit.
jibberjim

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
Guy I rode the 400 with had a dynamo, but it didn't seem to put out a huge amount of light by today's standards. The Lumicycle I had borrowed was putting out 900 Lumens in Medium, and was pi55ing all over it. He's a regular on the Transcontinental, so assume it was decent kit.

My E3 supernova is great for road visibility, more than good enough at any speed on the road - your lumicycle was presumably an MTB light, the pattern on those is pretty different so depending on where you're looking the light can look very different.

MTB lights on road riding are horribly anti-social, so please whatever you do get an actual road light!
BigFoz

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, basically the dyno lights seem to be rated differently to the battery ones. I have some mega lumen Lumicycle Halide lights, but they're about 15 years old now, I lost a bulb in one, and a replacement bulb is 80! Fabulous lights, but the battery no longer holds full charge and if I lose another bulb i'm knackered. Battery weighs a lot too.

The B&M at 100Lux is (I think) the highest powered dynamo light. Lux appears to be Lumens per Sq metre, which is basically meaningless measurement - What I really want to know is how far the beam throws with good visibility so as I hoon down off the moor at 40mph in the dark I can see where I'm going and if there's any deer / sheep in the road. However, 100Lux is the highest that seems to be offered, and it's German approved so the pattern will be more social than a MTB mega lumen set up.

My pathetic guesswork says if Lux is lumens per sq m and I recall the German regs as measuring lux at 10m (not sure about that...) then a 1m wide beam at 10m has to have at least 1,000 lumens to get 100 lux... Any elctrickery expert who can correct that assumption, please jump in.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jibberjim wrote:

MTB lights on road riding are horribly anti-social, so please whatever you do get an actual road light!

Certainly not as 'anti-social' as all those SUV headlights; blinding car drivers & cyclists alike.

I ordered one of those Izone IRC 650s recommended above; splashed-out 18 on it, so it better be good.
gingerbongo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perfect timing this thread, as i've just gone and put myself out of running for 6 weeks with a smacked up knee!! grrr.

So looks like i'll be digging out the old wreck for the second time this year (after an enforced 3 week period with no car!).

I'm not going to be doing loads of riding, but i can't just sit on my butt for 6 weeks, so thought the first stop would be to remove the excuse of not being able to ride in the dark now the days are drawing in!!

Have a mate that's very into all things lights, and after a fair bit of joint research, i've gone for the Izone's as well. at 18 they seem brilliant value for money - all in one, waterproof, USB chargeable. Might get abetter mount for it though. Also bought their rear light for a couple of quid, which also made delivery free.

Just need to actually ride it now!!!
Jorgan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gingerbongo wrote:
Have a mate that's very into all things lights, and after a fair bit of joint research, i've gone for the Izone's as well. at 18 they seem brilliant value for money - all in one, waterproof, USB chargeable. Might get abetter mount for it though. Also bought their rear light for a couple of quid, which also made delivery free.

Just need to actually ride it now!!!

Was that the 3.50 mini rear light? I bought that one too as a spare/day light. Is the mount removable on the izone? Doesn't look it - I don't want to break it before I use it!

I wore my Endura Pro SL jacket for the first time this morning (got it in April!), as it tipped down just before I left. I was boiling, as I forgot to take my arm warmers off before I put it on Rolling Eyes Should have stuck with the Sportful No Rain gilet I just got off ebay, as it was only road spray in the end.
gingerbongo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure, just ordered it today (and yes i bought that same rear light).

The rubber mounting looks pretty flimsy, so i'll see what it's like. If it really is naff, i might shop around for an alternative. I'd like to get one, if it fits, that clips (semi) permanently onto the bars and you just 'snap' the light in and out.
Bluepoolshark

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gingerbongo wrote:

The rubber mounting looks pretty flimsy, so i'll see what it's like. If it really is naff, i might shop around for an alternative. I'd like to get one, if it fits, that clips (semi) permanently onto the bars and you just 'snap' the light in and out.
I've used the rubber mount for quite some time now without any issues at all, works pretty well
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Gear All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: