Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Ultra / Trail Running - General Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 147, 148, 149

View previous topic :: View next topic  
FatPom

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

p00key wrote:
FatPom wrote:
tunster wrote:
p00key wrote:
After following various people over the weekend in the UTMB race - i'm starting to get a bit obsessive about it - Tunster - you have done this haven't you ? as well as Repoman .

I have no WS100 qualifier this year - which is slightly irritating me - so was poss thinking about this - or one of the races over there. I have the points , so was thinking of going into the ballot ...

UTMB week is the most amazing week of running in one of my favourite places in the world. Just back from doing the TdS - proper hard (ranked by UTMB organisation as harder than the UTMB itself -https://utmbmontblanc.com/en/page/257/how-to-choose-your-race.html ). Then spent the rest of the weekend following 2 mates around the UTMB course.

Personally preferred the UTMB but a longer and overall more gruelling (as it takes so much longer).

Have done the route of the CCC over a recce weekend and that is a really good distance.

Which race are you thinking of?

Seems like they are downgrading some of the qualifying races for next year (eg South Downs Way downgraded from 6 to 5 qualifying points). Favouring the races with more vert for qualifying points.

Do it, do it, do it Smile

I have an IM mate at work just did TFS in 25hrs. Catching up with him for coffee later as heís been away. I will dig out his report later. He said it was amazing.

Nice one.

His report is here:

https://larkyphoto.livejournal.com/117723.html
tunster

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

p00key wrote:
tunster wrote:
p00key wrote:
After following various people over the weekend in the UTMB race - i'm starting to get a bit obsessive about it - Tunster - you have done this haven't you ? as well as Repoman .

I have no WS100 qualifier this year - which is slightly irritating me - so was poss thinking about this - or one of the races over there. I have the points , so was thinking of going into the ballot ...

UTMB week is the most amazing week of running in one of my favourite places in the world. Just back from doing the TdS - proper hard (ranked by UTMB organisation as harder than the UTMB itself -https://utmbmontblanc.com/en/page/257/how-to-choose-your-race.html ). Then spent the rest of the weekend following 2 mates around the UTMB course.

Personally preferred the UTMB but a longer and overall more gruelling (as it takes so much longer).

Have done the route of the CCC over a recce weekend and that is a really good distance.

Which race are you thinking of?

Seems like they are downgrading some of the qualifying races for next year (eg South Downs Way downgraded from 6 to 5 qualifying points). Favouring the races with more vert for qualifying points.

Do it, do it, do it Smile

hahaha I do have points for them all .

BUT i might have to wait till 2020 (although are they all ballots ? - no harm in entering as we will be in Chamonix that time next year anyway).

I have entered TP100 /SDW100 so far for next year as was going to go for the grand slam ...

Ha - TP100/SDW100 also entered here
doug

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tunster wrote:
p00key wrote:

I have entered TP100 /SDW100 so far for next year as was going to go for the grand slam ...

Another for the SDW100 (but not the TP100) - see y'all in Winchester !
themoid

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dnf'd at UTMB, was ill the week before and it became apparent very quickly that it was still in my system when the first climb proved very very difficult...!

The atmosphere around the events was amazing, learnt a load from training for it and been there, now need to get my points again so i can get back to complete it. Probably looking at the SDW and NDW so see you there !

Stu
p00key

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

doug wrote:
tunster wrote:
p00key wrote:

I'm still annoyed that i have no ws100 qualifier for this year as i dropped down to a shorter race at the mozart 100 . Im totally obsessed with it . i would of had three chances this year . Although i did read that i can 'pay' to keep them till next year .

awesome big get together on the races.
p00key

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SDW100 and the Autumn 100 are the only two I haven't done ... so should be an interesting year..
tunster

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

p00key wrote:
doug wrote:
tunster wrote:
p00key wrote:

I'm still annoyed that i have no ws100 qualifier for this year as i dropped down to a shorter race at the mozart 100 . Im totally obsessed with it . i would of had three chances this year . Although i did read that i can 'pay' to keep them till next year .

Pookey - see here for getting a "bye" to maintain your lottery status -https://www.wser.org/lottery/one-time-lottery-bye/
p00key

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tunster wrote:
p00key wrote:
doug wrote:
tunster wrote:
p00key wrote:

Pookey - see here for getting a "bye" to maintain your lottery status -https://www.wser.org/lottery/one-time-lottery-bye/

Brilliant thanks.
lutterworth1

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tiree ultra for me in the morning, great race, 2nd time Iíve done it, last year was 40mph winds and rain all day, tomorrow is looking like 40mph winds and rain all day.....

1 lap of the Isle of Tiree, 35miles, its worth the long trip north.
tunster

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lutterworth1 wrote:
Tiree ultra for me in the morning, great race, 2nd time Iíve done it, last year was 40mph winds and rain all day, tomorrow is looking like 40mph winds and rain all day.....

1 lap of the Isle of Tiree, 35miles, its worth the long trip north.

wow - how long does take to get there??
iwaters

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I get down and lose motivation I watch my James Cracknell DVDs for inspiration. I was watching the Yukon Arctic Ultra one the other night and I thought to myself that what I need is something like that. Something so hard that you don't know if you can even finish.

However, when I looked at it the cost was going to be astronomical. Entry fee is thousands, flights and accom thousands etc.

So I found in this country The Spine Race. All the way along the Pennine Way, in one stage, in January.

However you can't just enter and pay your fee. You have to apply and show relevant experience and skills. I am thinking of this a 16 month plan to enter in 2020.

I am doing the Fan Dance in Jan and after that I will do some of the Army test marches arranged by AEE. These involve a training course on mountain survival, navigation (day and night) with former SAS/SBS members and then a march across the Brecon Beacons of unknown duration carrying 45lbs. So that should help with some of the "skills" needed.

Next step is some Ultras. Thinking Lakesman 50 might be a good place to start? Aiming for a spring marathon and then building from there. Perhaps a flatter 50K might be a good next step?

Any recommendations for good mountain ultras?
ed_m

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fan dance or Blade Runner ? Smile
explorerJC

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the fan dance is a test of balance underfoot with mainly uneven stony paths particularly on the roman road....

no navigation required...

lots of moderate early season ultras would be better than a spring marathon - the millennium way and the way back are flat ultras that required a small amount of navigation at the pointy end (or, i suppose at the back)

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2018 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
tunster

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iwaters wrote:
When I get down and lose motivation I watch my James Cracknell DVDs for inspiration. I was watching the Yukon Arctic Ultra one the other night and I thought to myself that what I need is something like that. Something so hard that you don't know if you can even finish.

However, when I looked at it the cost was going to be astronomical. Entry fee is thousands, flights and accom thousands etc.

So I found in this country The Spine Race. All the way along the Pennine Way, in one stage, in January.

However you can't just enter and pay your fee. You have to apply and show relevant experience and skills. I am thinking of this a 16 month plan to enter in 2020.

I am doing the Fan Dance in Jan and after that I will do some of the Army test marches arranged by AEE. These involve a training course on mountain survival, navigation (day and night) with former SAS/SBS members and then a march across the Brecon Beacons of unknown duration carrying 45lbs. So that should help with some of the "skills" needed.

Next step is some Ultras. Thinking Lakesman 50 might be a good place to start? Aiming for a spring marathon and then building from there. Perhaps a flatter 50K might be a good next step?

Any recommendations for good mountain ultras?

Repo is yer man for this topic - he did the summer version this year
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 147, 148, 149
Page 149 of 149

Jump to: