Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
New [road] bike time...?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dazzmaster

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:08 pm    Post subject: New [road] bike time...? Reply with quote

Hi

Sacrilege this may be, but I will go for it anyway - time has come to perhaps replace my good old Focus Izalco Pro road bike with something newer, as the 2nd bike to the tri bike. Purpose: climbing and long group rides + winter riding.

My minimum requirements are: disc brakes, electronic shifting (Ultegra di2, no need for anything 'more fancy'). frame quality > components.

I have a budget of around 4-5k, and so any views on the following:
- BMC Roadmachine 01 Three
- Canyon Ultimate CF SLX or Endurace CF SLX

I live in London and cycle mostly through Surrey, bit of Chilterns, if that helps with gauging road quality/weather etc...

Anybody has any of these bikes? Any worthy alternatives, especially given the discount season at the moment?

d
'16: Copenhagen IM
'14: Alp D'Huez Long Course
jayski

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a felt fr2 disc and it is incredible. Super sharp acceleration and climbing is brilliant - the handling is like a mountain bike in that it sticks to the road and goes exactly where you want.

Textreme frame
Ultegra di2
Hydro discs

All well within your budget
Jorgan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love my Endurace SLX - I barely ride my TT bike nowadays as a result! The only thing I would say, is that the matte paint finish is pretty fragile (no lacquer), so if it's any colour other than black, it will show scratches and scuffs (mine's red and I use a wax chipstick on it).
Doonhamer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dolan DR1? I don't have one, but also well within your budget.
dazzmaster

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for these responses/suggestions.

Noone out there advertising the BMC Roadmachine?

I am so very close to pressing 'buy' on the Endurace, Jorgan, as you say, I saw the red one on a ride out last weekend and boy oh boy I love that colour...

One question though - does that funky split seatpost indeed flex a lot while riding uphill, and does it really make you feel like you have flat tyre? Smile
Jorgan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dazzmaster wrote:

I am so very close to pressing 'buy' on the Endurace, Jorgan, as you say, I saw the red one on a ride out last weekend and boy oh boy I love that colour...

One question though - does that funky split seatpost indeed flex a lot while riding uphill, and does it really make you feel like you have flat tyre? Smile

Yeah, the colour is awesome; just be careful when you're clamping it in a stand Rolling Eyes Mad

It's a super-comfortable bike. Tbh, for me it feels like the 28mm tyres are doing most of the cushioning and smoothing of the ride; how much of it is the seatpost I can't tell - so in that respect, you don't know it's there doing its thing from my experience. I would also trust the fit system they use. I challenged them over a Medium, and the fixed 100m stem on it; but sure enough, it fit when I got it! You will find that the Endurace is a little more upright than the Ultimate (bit more stack in the fork crown) but for MAMILs like me that makes it more rideable, and enjoyable.

This bike (along with IM hiatus) means I've ridden my TT bike about 200 miles this year. I just love it.
dazzmaster

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I am sold on the Endurace...

The last remaining question is whether to go for the Ultegra di2 + disc version, or whether forking out the additional ~1k for etap and Sram hydraulic disk (HRD is it called?) is worth it?

My other bike is an 11sp Ultegra di2, meaning I could keep just one set of spares... beyond that I have no preference, just look to performance...

so, recommendations?

I do not really care about weight, but more about long term value/reliability/... yes you do get slightly better wheels as well as groupset but the majority of cost difference is I think the groupset...
stenard

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the latter, I would say if you already have di2, then sticking with that seems sensible. Di2 parts are often not something you are going to be able to walk into a shop and pick up, in a moment of need. Having a second bike that you can cannibalise in urgent need before or race etc, would seem to me to be a big upside.

Etap only seems hugely advantageous if retrofitting, due to the wireless arrangement. Once they're both installed, they're much of a muchness. People say you have the advantage of being able to swap batteries, but I disagree. You have more batteries to die in etap (each mech, plus each shifter in the road version), and on di2 the front mech dies first to allow you to still shift at the rear if you get super low. That's exactly what people who advocate the interchangeability of etap suggest ... your rear mech dies so you swap the front one to the back...you've just ended up with what di2 does automatically.
Doca

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also looking a new bike for next summer. I like the ultimate but there is no mediums in stock Sad.

My preference is etap, in my experience when Di2 goes wrong it is usually the wires or battery at fault. Got etap on my TT bike and prefer it to the Di2 I have on my current road bike. 1K is a chunk of extra money though...
Jorgan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've (still) got mechanical on my Endurace SLX; very close to going Di2, but went for the better frame/wheels instead. Tbh I've never tried electronic shifting, and the modern Shimano mech groups are so slick, I'm not sure it's worth it. The only real benefit I can see is less cables/aero integration.

Disc brakes though - yeah, I'll take those Graham Very Happy Wink
stenard

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
Tbh I've never tried electronic shifting, and the modern Shimano mech groups are so slick, I'm not sure it's worth it. The only real benefit I can see is less cables/aero integration.

Packing a bike is a lot easier.
No worry of cables getting stretched over time and throwing off indexing.
(if you did want to index, you can do so whilst riding which is nice)
Install and forget.
Crisper front shifts.

They're the main benefits for me. Alongside the TT specific one of being able to shift in multiple positions. The first in particular is the best bit, having already flown with my bike 4 times this year alone.

But on a road bike, I'm happy to live with mechanical. I can't justify retrofitting di2 or getting a new road bike just for electronic shifting. I don't travel as much, if at all, with my roadie either.

Last edited by stenard on Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:57 am; edited 1 time in total
Jorgan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^ I haven't flown with my bike for years, so less of an issue for me. The front shifting does sound appealing.
Chrace

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To add since I've now tried both (Di2 and discs):

Discs - definitely. And hydraulic at that. My Ultegra calibers with SwissStop pads are not a scratch on the braking power I get from the new Ultegra hydraulic discs (on a Spesh Venge). I have some mechanical discs on my commuter and now after a couple of years they are actually worse than my rim brake bikes.

Di2 (and electronic in general) - Yes, but...
When I switched from 10sp mechanical ultegra to Di2 it was a revelation. Never any cable stretch, always precisely on. And if it isn't precisely on it can be adjusted on the fly. It was a gamechanger.
But my new Venge came with latest version mechanical ultegra. It was then precision set up by the LBS and I must admit it's damn close to the Di2. Incredibly slick over previous versions of mechanical sets I have ridden. But as it goes, cable stretch is now creeping in and I sometimes hear that front mech dragging a bit. The automatic front mech alignment on the Di2 means it's _always_ perfectly quiet and simply a bliss to ride.
So even with the latest mechanical ultegra I now have a Di2 set in a box that will be fitted very soon.

I'm also likely to get it set up as sequential shifting. Not sure I'll like it with so many years of being used to manually deciding where the front mech is but I'm too curious to not try it. Smile
Doca

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think electronic shifting is a bit like Sky TV.
Before you had it you didn't know about the programs you didn't watch and you think your VHS does a good job, you can scoff at how much other peeps are paying for watching telly & you are generally happy. But soon after having Sky you wonder how you lived without it.
When you have tried electronic shifting it is just better and you don't really want to go back.

I haven't looked at the pricing in detail but I suspect changing to electronic as an upgrade on disc bikes is more expensive due to the master cylinders in the levers.
stenard

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chrace wrote:

I'm also likely to get it set up as sequential shifting. Not sure I'll like it with so many years of being used to manually deciding where the front mech is but I'm too curious to not try it. Smile

Do you mean the synchro shift?
On a perfectly flat TT, I could see the appeal, as it will help keep a slightly more optimal straighter chainline, but for any kind of sharper/steeper climbing, I would much rather know when a shift at the front is about to take place. e.g. I would rather be in control.

I can't see the appeal of synchro at all on a road bike.

Semi-synchro is alright, and I'm experimenting with it at the moment. It definitely allows you to shift a bit earlier at the front, knowing the rear will shift up or down a few cogs to smooth the jump caused by the front shift.

The main reason I now have the option to try synchro/semi-synchro is because I broke my laptop, and realised I was completely stuck with regards to updating or tweaking the di2. The new battery allowed access via the e-tube app, which means I can also update/amend stuff when travelling now as well. One unforeseen perk was the beep my Garmin now gives when you reach the limit (either high or low) on the rear mech. It really isn't worth anything by itself, but it's a useful added little perk.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Gear All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: