Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
IM 70.3 Weymouth
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lutterworth1

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

charlton89 wrote:
stenard wrote:
lutterworth1 wrote:
My mate done Weymouth,hes in one of the older AGs, punctured twice during the bike,he was using tubs,was in a lay-by with another competitor who had pulled out due to the cold, he refused to lend my mate his rear wheel,anyway the farmers wife whos drive they were in invited them in for a cuppa, the chance to use the phone and to get warm, she then offered my mate her sons old, heavy MTB to use, my mate jumped at the chance, it was an old clunker but he got round, finished the bike and the run.

Found out hes been DQ, I asume for outside assistance?

The bold bit would be a DQ for both athletes. Under IM rules, you can offer assistance to another competitor so long as it doesnt mean you couldn't have continued the race yourself. They cover this at every briefing.
Tubes/co2/patches/nutrition/etc = fine
An entire wheel = DQ.

To be fair there is absolutely no way I would ever lend one of my wheels to a stranger even if I was pulling out...

I know what you mean, but the photos on finisherpix are funny as my mate is lumbering up a hill on this clunky old MTB! I think he got DQ cos the rules state u cant do it on an MTB or hybrid etc. He had a fun day out, got his medal and T shirt and made friends for life with the family that gave him a cuppa and acbike bike! Not bad for a 67 year old.
lutterworth1

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

charlton89 wrote:
stenard wrote:
lutterworth1 wrote:
My mate done Weymouth,hes in one of the older AGs, punctured twice during the bike,he was using tubs,was in a lay-by with another competitor who had pulled out due to the cold, he refused to lend my mate his rear wheel,anyway the farmers wife whos drive they were in invited them in for a cuppa, the chance to use the phone and to get warm, she then offered my mate her sons old, heavy MTB to use, my mate jumped at the chance, it was an old clunker but he got round, finished the bike and the run.

Found out hes been DQ, I asume for outside assistance?

The bold bit would be a DQ for both athletes. Under IM rules, you can offer assistance to another competitor so long as it doesnt mean you couldn't have continued the race yourself. They cover this at every briefing.
Tubes/co2/patches/nutrition/etc = fine
An entire wheel = DQ.

To be fair there is absolutely no way I would ever lend one of my wheels to a stranger even if I was pulling out...

I know what you mean, but the photos on finisherpix are funny as my mate is lumbering up a hill on this clunky old MTB! I think he got DQ cos the rules state u cant do it on an MTB or hybrid etc. He had a fun day out, got his medal and T shirt and made friends for life with the family that gave him a cuppa and acbike bike! Not bad for a 67 year old.
RobbieJ

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1st time doing Weymouth, in fact 1st time at this distance.

Bit disappointed about the swim as I felt I could have done the whole thing, but completely see that cutting it short was the right thing to do. I did clock in 1.2km though and can't see that my sighting was that off. I think the swim was closer to 1.1km than 950m.

Bike was tough. Had 2 punctures in quick succession and could barely keep my hands steady enough to swap out the inner-tube on the second.

I really struggled with nutrition too, the bars I had felt frozen solid and were not going down, barely ate a 1/3 of what I had planned to.

I managed to get back to T2 and finish the run but I ran out of energy quickly due to not eating enough and ran a very slow half marathon. Still I made it round my first 70.3 and even got a nice sunburnt forehead from the afternoon sunshine to make me forget just how terrible the weather was at the start.

Definitely want to try this one in nicer weather. Fingers crossed for 2019.
charlton89

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RobbieJ wrote:
1st time doing Weymouth, in fact 1st time at this distance.

Bit disappointed about the swim as I felt I could have done the whole thing, but completely see that cutting it short was the right thing to do. I did clock in 1.2km though and can't see that my sighting was that off. I think the swim was closer to 1.1km than 950m.

Bike was tough. Had 2 punctures in quick succession and could barely keep my hands steady enough to swap out the inner-tube on the second.

I really struggled with nutrition too, the bars I had felt frozen solid and were not going down, barely ate a 1/3 of what I had planned to.

I managed to get back to T2 and finish the run but I ran out of energy quickly due to not eating enough and ran a very slow half marathon. Still I made it round my first 70.3 and even got a nice sunburnt forehead from the afternoon sunshine to make me forget just how terrible the weather was at the start.

Definitely want to try this one in nicer weather. Fingers crossed for 2019.

Well done you did well to change those punctured and get round. I also measured the swim at 1100m. Most I spoke to did so in certain it was longer than 950m. I sighted well this year. Last year the wind took me wide and I ended up doing over 2,000m. Swimming conditions were better this year than last in my opinion but I know conditions were getting worse so I understand why they shortened it
Toyota_Crown

Location: Lincoln / Scarborough (Algerino-Land) / Fircombe-on-Sea. sandbagging for daveM

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RobbieJ wrote:
the bars I had felt frozen solid and were not going down, barely ate a 1/3 of what I had planned to.
crikey how blinkin cold was it! Easy for me to say, but just chew em a bit more?
What was the 'feel like' temperature on the bike?
97IM+12DIM+D+3Q+4T=158IM
UKIMGrandSlam04-18
Foggyone

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Garmin recorded a low of 4C or 39f on bike. Most of way round it was 5C.
With the pouring rain , it felt very cold.
charlton89

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toyota_Crown wrote:
RobbieJ wrote:
the bars I had felt frozen solid and were not going down, barely ate a 1/3 of what I had planned to.
crikey how blinkin cold was it! Easy for me to say, but just chew em a bit more?
What was the 'feel like' temperature on the bike?

My Garmin recorded average temp as 5 degrees as well. The first hour was Torrential rain though and some chilly winds so it felt freezing. Once rain stopped it became manageable but still cold, made worse as you were soaked through so everything wet and damp. I've been ill all week, I'm wondering if it's a coincidence!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: