Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Brexit in action?! Question re French Tris and licensing
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
explorerJC

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stenard wrote:
explorerJC wrote:
stenard wrote:
explorerJC wrote:
stenard wrote:
hammerer wrote:
stenard wrote:
jayski wrote:
Totally agree. It is about time the BTF were held to account. Their funding will fall off a cliff when both Brownlees officially leave ITU racing and our Olympic medal prospects disappear.

Really? Maybe this is your point, but I don't see any benefit from my BTF membership other than eliminating my need to pay £5 race license fees for every event. Same as my EA membership.

Insurance? referees for events? coach education? Go Tri? Risk assessign all sanctioned events? and less for you but junior academies, junior training squads, Skills School. The list goes on. I do wish people would quit with the uneducated replies about the BTF doing nothing except for the Brownlees

I was not saying the BTF provide no benefit. I was countering that each and every individual member should expect a clear and obvious direct, personal benefit.

they do....every single person who takes part in either an event or trains at a club receives a clear and obvious direct benefit

If you are meaning the insurance, risk assessment, etc point, then to the average person, they are not clear and obvious. To anyone that has been involved in organisation of events in any sport they might be clear and obvious, but most people don't appreciate them.

it's not clear when a competitor signs for the day licence that this isn't backed by a greater insurance policy than some guy collecting fivers?

blimey...

As I was told above in relation to personal injury/personal medical bills insurance, assuming the general public know anything about anything is apparently too much to expect.

I actually think the ignorance of some people with respect to over-expectation of what the £5, or annual BTF membership, brings is worse.

One guy from our club recently had his bike initially fail to turn up off a plane flight. He couldnt believe it when he was told his BTF membership wouldnt cover the cost of his bike if it ended up being totally lost. That's the kind of benefit people appear to *expect*, and when they find out that isn't the case they think they are being hard done by.

i am beginning to lose faith....

Laughing

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2018 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
Jorgan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stenard wrote:
One guy from our club recently had his bike initially fail to turn up off a plane flight. He couldnt believe it when he was told his BTF membership wouldnt cover the cost of his bike if it ended up being totally lost. That's the kind of benefit people appear to *expect*, and when they find out that isn't the case they think they are being hard done by.

I expect he had a right ill-informed rant about it on IMJ too Rolling Eyes Laughing
stenard

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
stenard wrote:

I expect he had a right ill-informed rant about it on IMJ too Rolling Eyes Laughing

He did ask the question there actually, from memory
Jorgan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stenard wrote:
Jorgan wrote:
stenard wrote:

He did ask the question there actually, from memory

I bet he kicks using a Pull-buoy too.
awildt

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Response received

les licences britanniques seront toujours acceptées en France en 2019

We can all calm down now Rolling Eyes

Question remains - where did the original info come from...

(Translation - the British licence is still accepted in France in 2019)
stenard

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting, thanks awildt.

Original info comes from all the Ironman registration pages for French races next year. After asking Ironman France why the change, their response was:

Quote:
Hi Steve,

It's an agreement between the French Federation and the ITU.

We cannot do anything and we understand your point of view.

So I understood that to mean them basically saying it was a change in position for all races taking place in France next year and their hands were tied.
awildt

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stenard wrote:
Interesting, thanks awildt.

Original info comes from all the Ironman registration pages for French races next year. After asking Ironman France why the change, their response was:

Quote:
Hi Steve,

It's an agreement between the French Federation and the ITU.

We cannot do anything and we understand your point of view.

So I understood that to mean them basically saying it was a change in position for all races taking place in France next year and their hands were tied.

This is starting to smell of Mdot races trying to fleece more money from foreign participants.

Absolutely not linked, I'm sure, in any way to the fact that the 70.3 'world champs' are in Nice next year... Confused
Jorgan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

awildt wrote:

This is starting to smell of Mdot races trying to fleece more money from foreign participants.

Absolutely not linked, I'm sure, in any way to the fact that the 70.3 'world champs' are in Nice next year... Confused

But surely they could do that to races in all countries for foreign participants; or is it because France anecdotally has more stringent requirements wrt medical certificates etc?
awildt

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Jorgan"]
awildt wrote:

But surely they could do that to races in all countries for foreign participants; or is it because France anecdotally has

May be an easier avenue to exploit. Who knows.
stenard

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

awildt wrote:

I made that link in my original post. It definitely seems too much of a coincidence, regardless who has instigated the change. I pushed back to Ironman France, and their response was:
Quote:
It's an agreement between the ITU rules and FFTri.

IRONMAN is managed by the ITU rules and for 2019, British athletes [and others] will have to pay the One Day License.

This is the rule received by the FFTri so maybe [other events] has not the information yet

stenard

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No idea what has changed, or what caused FFTri to apparently contact Ironman directly, but after my questioning, Ironman France just contacted me directly with the below:

Quote:
Hi
The FFtri called us
UK is allowed Smile
No day license for you

It will be interesting to see what now happens for all the other countries that were also being excluded previously. I know other EU countries were considering challenging whether such a policy was in breach of EU rules (not something you could be sure of arguing from a UK perspective, given all the races are after March 2019).
Jorgan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vive la 'joined-up-approach' Rolling Eyes
awildt

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stenard wrote:
No idea what has changed, or what caused FFTri to apparently contact Ironman directly, but after my questioning, Ironman France just contacted me directly with the below:

Quote:
Hi
The FFtri called us
UK is allowed Smile
No day license for you

It will be interesting to see what now happens for all the other countries that were also being excluded previously. I know other EU countries were considering challenging whether such a policy was in breach of EU rules (not something you could be sure of arguing from a UK perspective, given all the races are after March 2019).

Clearly they thought that no one would question it and there was no chance anyone from the UK would actually ask anyone else in France whether this was true. What a con.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, to save the rest of us trawling back through this, WTC are trying to levy a payment in French events, that they will receive? (not the French Federation).

Basically, do we still need our pitchforks!
explorerJC

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
So, to save the rest of us trawling back through this, WTC are trying to levy a payment in French events, that they will receive? (not the French Federation).

Basically, do we still need our pitchforks!

are all sanctioned events therefore run under the ngb insurance?

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2018 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: