Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Training? What training?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 38, 39, 40 ... 42, 43, 44  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Poet.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work :D
But, a triathlon in October just ain't cricket!
It was in the minus figures on Sunday at 0730 here :O
Jorgan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poet. wrote:
Nice work Very Happy
But, a triathlon in October just ain't cricket!
It was in the minus figures on Sunday at 0730 here :O

I've never done a Triathlon in October before! I had to de-ice my windscreen before I left the house at about 6am. Once the sun came up it wasn't too bad, and the bike course wasn't shaded so it was okay (up & down A48 between Lydney & Chepstow).

Shame that an error by a marshal meant we ran 3.5 instead of 5.5km Rolling Eyes I did stop and quiz him and another helper, but decided to follow the winner into the finish anyway. They forgot to put the timing mat across the line too!
JeffB

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My race on Sunday fell somewhere between Jorgan's prediction and my original aims.

The plan was to go out at 3:15 pace, I was in start 1, corral B, think GFA at London. After a few days of wandering around my legs were already a bit tired but I'd taken it easy the day before and managed about 6 hours sleep, the start was 7:30AM.

When I got there the temperature was about 14c but rain and a breeze were forecast, the road was already quite wet from overnight rain, I normally like it quite warm but this felt alright and I had a thin cycling base layer on.

As I said I was looking for a 3:15 pacer, but there were none in our area, some 3:10's and a 3:15 that was in the C group behind me, but I knew there would be more traffic around him.

I started off an RPE that felt steady, the first mile is under a tunnel and among high buildings and my Garmin clocked the first K in 3:27, I knew that wasn't right. I saw the first mile marker (I don't work in miles but thought sub 3 pace was about 6:52), I went past in about 7 so that was alright, I went through 5k in 22:40 so I was 20 seconds up but comfortable so kept going.

Around 8k a few 3:10 pacers went past that were in group C, I didn't specifically try and keep up but I was generally running at the same speed, maybe dropping a second or so, but getting a bit of shelter when we hit any headwind.

I was also making sure I took on Gatorade at all the stops. It started raining as well. the garmin was still a bit hit and miss but the k's ticked off, I then got to half-way, despite my watch reading 22k in 1:35:20'ish, I was pleased with this and felt really comfortable.

I kept going but in the back of my head I knew I'd only done one 20 miler, and a double day that added up to about 19 miles. But I'd done a few 5:30 hilly bike rides in a 5 week block.

15-20 are the boring miles where you can switch off and you start to see people going backwards, but I kept the pace and started thinking that 3:10-3:12 was definitely on.

It got a bit tougher around 22 miles but not unmanageable and it's fairly easy to tick things off from there. When I got to mile 25 I decided to have a dig to see if I could get a 3:10 but when you did the last time it was into a breeze and slight climb, as much as I tried I knew I wasn't going to do it so eased back for 3:11:13

Was really pleased with that given I'd only been averaging barely 20 MPW over summer with no real speedwork, just a few parkruns that I'd do quite hard. Even in the last build I was only touching 30MPW with one 40 mile week. Although some of the runs were on the hills so time wise you could probably add a few miles onto those.

In general the legs didn't feel to bad for the rest of the day and today, calf is a bit sore but my ITB was definitely biting a bit, I've been massaging the TFL\Glutes\quads etc. and it has settled down.

After the disaster of Manchester last year and even worse London this year this was pleasing even if it was about 11 minutes off a PB. Won't be next year but I'd still like one more go at a sub 3 attempt.

I'll have to see about Boston, I should have a good chance.

Jeff
gingerbongo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JeffB wrote:
My race on Sunday fell somewhere between Jorgan's prediction and my original aims.

The plan was to go out at 3:15 pace, I was in start 1, corral B, think GFA at London. After a few days of wandering around my legs were already a bit tired but I'd taken it easy the day before and managed about 6 hours sleep, the start was 7:30AM.

When I got there the temperature was about 14c but rain and a breeze were forecast, the road was already quite wet from overnight rain, I normally like it quite warm but this felt alright and I had a thin cycling base layer on.

As I said I was looking for a 3:15 pacer, but there were none in our area, some 3:10's and a 3:15 that was in the C group behind me, but I knew there would be more traffic around him.

I started off an RPE that felt steady, the first mile is under a tunnel and among high buildings and my Garmin clocked the first K in 3:27, I knew that wasn't right. I saw the first mile marker (I don't work in miles but thought sub 3 pace was about 6:52), I went past in about 7 so that was alright, I went through 5k in 22:40 so I was 20 seconds up but comfortable so kept going.

Around 8k a few 3:10 pacers went past that were in group C, I didn't specifically try and keep up but I was generally running at the same speed, maybe dropping a second or so, but getting a bit of shelter when we hit any headwind.

I was also making sure I took on Gatorade at all the stops. It started raining as well. the garmin was still a bit hit and miss but the k's ticked off, I then got to half-way, despite my watch reading 22k in 1:35:20'ish, I was pleased with this and felt really comfortable.

I kept going but in the back of my head I knew I'd only done one 20 miler, and a double day that added up to about 19 miles. But I'd done a few 5:30 hilly bike rides in a 5 week block.

15-20 are the boring miles where you can switch off and you start to see people going backwards, but I kept the pace and started thinking that 3:10-3:12 was definitely on.

It got a bit tougher around 22 miles but not unmanageable and it's fairly easy to tick things off from there. When I got to mile 25 I decided to have a dig to see if I could get a 3:10 but when you did the last time it was into a breeze and slight climb, as much as I tried I knew I wasn't going to do it so eased back for 3:11:13

Was really pleased with that given I'd only been averaging barely 20 MPW over summer with no real speedwork, just a few parkruns that I'd do quite hard. Even in the last build I was only touching 30MPW with one 40 mile week. Although some of the runs were on the hills so time wise you could probably add a few miles onto those.

In general the legs didn't feel to bad for the rest of the day and today, calf is a bit sore but my ITB was definitely biting a bit, I've been massaging the TFL\Glutes\quads etc. and it has settled down.

After the disaster of Manchester last year and even worse London this year this was pleasing even if it was about 11 minutes off a PB. Won't be next year but I'd still like one more go at a sub 3 attempt.

I'll have to see about Boston, I should have a good chance.

Jeff

Nice one Jeff !! was good to see that pop up on my starva as it looked like a perfectly executed race. Shows you just what is possible off a decent base, even if that doesn't include running (assuming you have some level of running specific base over the years obviously).

I'm 4 weeks with no running now and my knee is still as bad as it was on day 3 or 4. think the technical phrase is proper f**ked! Think it's going to be another trip to a professional of osme sort to try to get to the bottom of things!
mattsurf

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great race Jeff, I would think that you have a very good chance qualifying for Boston with that time.

I am now 5 weeks off running (actually ran Weymouth 70.3 2 weeks ago, but since it was the last event of the season I thought I may as well do it). Luckily Weymouth doesn't appear to have set back recovery too much, no pain in thigh or back, but still a little numbness on right leg (I have piriformis syndrome). Even though I am feeling like I could run (and want to run), I am going to give it a couple more weeks at least before I gently test the water.

Tentative Plans to do Bahrain 70.3 in December are now off. My next event will be either Mallorca on May 11 (my birthday) or Pay D'Aix on May 12

My end of year resolution (again) is to sort out my swim, I am giving Total Immersion another go, as that is what the tri club coach... Actually I am getting it a bit more this time round, I now know what it means to get my balance and how to engage my core.

I had 2 weeks pretty light after Weymouth, but now ramping up my riding. However, dieting is temporarily out of the window
Chrace

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need to train the 4th discipline more - nutrition intake. Or rather, reduce it. Need to lose about a kg/month until June, and I've never had to lose weight before.

There. It's in writing. I'll get on with my meal deal crisps.
Poet.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chrace wrote:
There. It's in writing. I'll get on with my meal deal crisps.

Looking at your location (in the bio)...

...three Yorkies for a quid at various supermarkets at the moment Wink
JeffB

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks GB, felt afterwards that I could have gone a bit faster and got under 3:10 but would have risked a big blowup and walking so not too fussed.

All the years of training must count for something, but I think the long hilly rides I did definitely got me round, and any intensity from either the parkruns or TT's.

Not good news about your knee, possibly the best time for it to be bad though, but worth getting it checked out soon.

Jeff
Roscoemck

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was getting back into things but I've now tweaked my knee doing squats. Typical.

Will take a wee running break for a week or so, think my old body is getting fed up with the pavements.

Thankfully the gym has a wattbike, so I can do some properly focused bike training this winter.
Tri'ing Swimmer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

October totals:
Swim 15,300
Bike 445km
Run 81km

Scariest thing today! Twisted Evil lots more to do.

Swim and run are fairly similar to baseline, just slight dips to accommodate ramp in cycling (from ~100km/month for the last year). Likely aim slow build now so close to 20-500-100 for few more months, then really build up to go long next summer.
Roscoemck

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone please send me my motivation back. Last seen at the end of August
Davem

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

October totals

Swim 15K
Bike - 112 miles
Run - 26.2 miles

All the bike and run totals were from IM Barca.
Poet.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oct ~ 40hrs

Swim 3h 14m, 11km, 1:46/100m
Bike 25h 41m, 686.6km, 26.7km/h
Run 11h 19m, 136.2km, 4:59/km
Core - Need to start doing this...

RHR down by 2bpm
Weight down 6lbs
5km target hit
100m swim repeats hit
FTP raised 6%

Running along with Celine Dion in my head this morning...
"...it's all coming back, it's all coming back to me now..."
Davem

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roscoemck wrote:

Mine is still lost from 2012.... Mad Razz Laughing
tin pot

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roscoemck wrote:

I watched the replay of Kona 18. Started base training the following week. Smile

It would just be so cool to qualify...in 2023...
Sprint '16 1h17, '14 1h40, '13 2h01
Half Mara '16 2h04, '14 2h07
10K 18 50:31 '16 54:01 '13 54:46
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 38, 39, 40 ... 42, 43, 44  Next
Page 39 of 44

Jump to: