Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
MIPS helmets
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SGreg

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

explorerJC wrote:
Walmart stopped selling ammunition several years ago iirc, and didn't they also stop selling automatic rifles at the same time?

Anyone who wants to enjoy the 'thrill' of owning an automatic should join the military....the novelty soon wears off...

They probably stopped selling them when they were banned in 1986?
jayski

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony Stark wrote:
I think Evans Cycles might be selling some off cheap pretty soon......

You'd be surprised. You will find that lots of businesses like Evans, Wiggle etc operate on extensive payment terms and dont generally 'own' the goods they stock or sell for a year or so. In the case of Wiggle/CRC I have it on good authority that this is a tactic and they leverage their size to then either smash down the outstanding invoice value or not pay it at all. Not something small businesses can do. There is no massive incentive to flog off kit cheap (below cost) if you still have to pay for it and will be pursued for it.

Obviously Mike Cashley has now snapped up Evans for no money and with virtually no debt so you might find BMC in Sports Direct soon Wink

Onto the original topic, I have an Oakley ARO5, love it and the mips system doesn't impact comfort at all. Love it.
straightouttabrompton

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

explorerJC wrote:
Walmart stopped selling ammunition several years ago iirc

nope
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Remington-UMC-45-Auto-Jacketed-Hollow-Point-100pk/16930263
Jorgan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: MIPS helmets Reply with quote

mattsurf wrote:
grunta wrote:
Am on anticoagulants and thinking about buying a MIPS helmet to give my brain more protection ie reduce risks of brain bleeds.

Any comments on this guys - gratefully received !

G

I do love my Giro MIPS helmets.... however, since discovering that Giro is owned by a company who also sell high power automatic assault rifles to "sports" users I have decided not to buy more of their products

Eh, hang on. At the risk of invoking Godwin's Law, you do know you chose to live in a country that turned a blind eye during the darkest years of the 20th Century, and stored all the ill-gotten gains no questions asked. Neutral my ar5e Smile Wink
mattsurf

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: MIPS helmets Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
mattsurf wrote:
grunta wrote:
Am on anticoagulants and thinking about buying a MIPS helmet to give my brain more protection ie reduce risks of brain bleeds.

Any comments on this guys - gratefully received !

G

I do love my Giro MIPS helmets.... however, since discovering that Giro is owned by a company who also sell high power automatic assault rifles to "sports" users I have decided not to buy more of their products

Eh, hang on. At the risk of invoking Godwin's Law, you do know you chose to live in a country that turned a blind eye during the darkest years of the 20th Century, and stored all the ill-gotten gains no questions asked. Neutral my ar5e Smile Wink

I have been trying to think of a reasonable response to your point. Best I can come up with is that the NRA has no redeeming points, while Switzerland, which does have a very checkered past, and even if it is not perfect today, does have many redeeming points, as well as being a very nice place to live
Whisk

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Switzerland has a bit of a gun culture too, doesn't it? I seem to recall that it has one of the highest gun ownership rates in the west.

I used to work for a Swiss company and most of my male Swiss colleagues were army reservists, having done compulsory national service, and they all kept their military-issued weapons at home, just in case someone invades Rolling Eyes . They used to get issued with a sealed box of 50 rounds of ammunition too, but since 2008 all ammunition is now stored in central armouries
mattsurf

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whisk wrote:
Switzerland has a bit of a gun culture too, doesn't it? I seem to recall that it has one of the highest gun ownership rates in the west.

I used to work for a Swiss company and most of my male Swiss colleagues were army reservists, having done compulsory national service, and they all kept their military-issued weapons at home, just in case someone invades Rolling Eyes . They used to get issued with a sealed box of 50 rounds of ammunition too, but since 2008 all ammunition is now stored in central armouries

You are right, the rates of gun ownership in Switzerland are even higher than the US. Everyone does military service, following this, they all keep their army issue firearm.

People in the US use Switzerland as proof the gun ownership does not lead to high gun crime, indeed Switzerland has one of the lowest rates of gun crime

I am not sure of why this is the case, I guess it does have something to do with the nature and culture of the Swiss
Tony Stark

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

explorerJC wrote:
Anyone who wants to enjoy the 'thrill' of owning an automatic should join the military....the novelty soon wears off....

No more than owning and riding a bike ever gets boring. Would spend all day every day on any kind of range firing any kind of weapon whenever possible. The only thing that ever got boring was if there was a shortage of ammunition.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: MIPS helmets Reply with quote

mattsurf wrote:
while Switzerland, which does have a very checkered past, and even if it is not perfect today, does have many redeeming points, as well as being a very nice place to live

The UCI & FIFA carry on the legacy Laughing

You're right though, it's a beautiful country if we just keep it to the geography!
mattsurf

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: MIPS helmets Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
mattsurf wrote:
while Switzerland, which does have a very checkered past, and even if it is not perfect today, does have many redeeming points, as well as being a very nice place to live

The UCI & FIFA carry on the legacy Laughing

Check Mate
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Gear All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: