Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Rise of the E-Bike - at a race near you?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jibberjim

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
Anyone seen the latest Bianchi e-bike? Looks completely standard apart from the button behind the stem (which you could easily cover with a nutrition bag).

I'm genuinely interested in how the federations & RDs are going to manage this now; it's only a matter of time before people turn up 'accidentally' not knowing e-bikes aren't permitted, and slipping through the net.

I'm certainly looking forward to the Kona count to see which e-bike systems are best!
Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jibberjim wrote:
Jorgan wrote:
Anyone seen the latest Bianchi e-bike? Looks completely standard apart from the button behind the stem (which you could easily cover with a nutrition bag).

I'm genuinely interested in how the federations & RDs are going to manage this now; it's only a matter of time before people turn up 'accidentally' not knowing e-bikes aren't permitted, and slipping through the net.

I'm certainly looking forward to the Kona count to see which e-bike systems are best!

I wonder if they'll ever make TT e-bikes; I think that would be the writing on the wall Rolling Eyes
fenix

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm all over this bike -

https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/bikes/electric-bikes/

As you say - bung your Bento Box on over the top of it. Your riding mates won't know until you disappear up a mountain.
fat buddha

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:

and

Quote:
I'm all over this bike -

As you say - bung your Bento Box on over the top of it. Your riding mates won't know until you disappear up a mountain.

sorry - late to this thread as me and Mrs FB have been having a 2 month break in Oz and NZ after officiating at the World Grand Final at the Gold Coast.

yes - the newer generation of e-bikes are going to be more difficult to spot amongst all the bikes coming in to transition so we are going to have to be more vigilant on bike checks. RDs are also going to need to be more diligent when they put out race info and emphasise that e-bikes are not allowed.

technology fraud (i.e. bike motors) checks already take place at ITU events for elite and age groupers - not every bike is checked but a selected number around 20-25%. however at ITU events, TOs do transition check in so we understand and can manage this issue - doesn't always happen at local UK events even if TOs are present as we often have to delegate to marshals to do this, so we will need to instruct them better.

we should also be getting rules updates from both the ITU and BTF over the next couple of months so there might be some info in there that will also help - wait and see on that.
Buzz_

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
I wonder if they'll ever make TT e-bikes; I think that would be the writing on the wall Rolling Eyes

A TT e-bike would surely only be for cheating. You can justify a road or MTB for the social rider who wants to keep up with fitter colleagues, but TT?
Pedro Peru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:

Saw one at the weekend, it's really nice. I was thinking the wife might like one if I can ever help her get confident enough to get back out on the road.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buzz_ wrote:
Jorgan wrote:

A TT e-bike would surely only be for cheating. You can justify a road or MTB for the social rider who wants to keep up with fitter colleagues, but TT?

Quite true. But you don't need a >500bhp car with twin turbos; but there are plenty available to buy, for your trip to the Mall.
jibberjim

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buzz_ wrote:
Jorgan wrote:

There's even more reason for e-bikes to be as aerodynamic as possible than regular ones, saves the battery.
Chrace

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a TT e-bike sounds perfect. How else can I get that Strava KOM?

And, similar to cars, the more powerful the better. Let the NEW race begin!
Whisk

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cycling Weekly did a review of the Impulso E-Road a few weeks ago - https://www.bianchi.com/uk/focuson/e-road-429131

It's the one that very obviously is an e-bike, with a big battery pack and the motor at the bottom bracket.

Their report was that it was great up to about 27km/h, but if you tried to push it faster than that it just felt like a really heavy bike. They did say that it was amazing on the hills and you could ride up pretty much anything at 25km/h if you wanted to go strava KOM hunting Rolling Eyes

The more stealthy e-bikes like that Ribble are a bit cheeky. I especially like the comment about it being for the competitive cyclist!
gingerbongo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fenix wrote:
I'm all over this bike -

Get some new mates, then they'll just think you're a boss cyclist! haha
Pedro Peru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buzz_ wrote:
Jorgan wrote:

When I saw Wurf's new Bolide at Kona I thought that the long course tri battery must be much bigger than the one Froome uses. Twisted Evil
jibberjim

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pedro Peru wrote:
Buzz_ wrote:
Jorgan wrote:

When I saw Wurf's new Bolide at Kona I thought that the long course tri battery must be much bigger than the one Froome uses. Twisted Evil

Froome can get new batteries from the support car / hand ups. not allowed in tri's
iwaters

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone see the new Pinnarello Nytro. Can hardly tell its an e-bike. Can see that being snuck in at some races.

I cannot see the point of that bike though. I understand e-bikes ,there is a guy at work who rides one in, hes a pretty big chap and would struggle without it up the hills. Its getting him out though and doing some riding. But a really expensive race bike? Other than for some overweight MAMIL who wants to keep up with his mates on a group ride. Most people spending 6K can usually ride fairly well (there are exceptions of course)
fat buddha

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iwaters wrote:
Anyone see the new Pinnarello Nytro. Can hardly tell its an e-bike. Can see that being snuck in at some races.

I cannot see the point of that bike though. I understand e-bikes ,there is a guy at work who rides one in, hes a pretty big chap and would struggle without it up the hills. Its getting him out though and doing some riding. But a really expensive race bike? Other than for some overweight MAMIL who wants to keep up with his mates on a group ride. Most people spending 6K can usually ride fairly well (there are exceptions of course)

there are a number of older - maybe slightly less able than they used to be - athletes out there where e-bikes will still allow them to have the benefit of zipping up and down dale as they used to on full geared bikes. all the fun for less effort - or perhaps no riding at all as they joy disappears with age and infirmity. I know of at least one older guy who in his day was a very good time triallist who is in love with his e-bike as it's helped him revive some of the "glory" days - he did Ventoux on it over summer which he said he'd not have been able to do on a normal bike. they don't want to be seen as any different to other cyclists so these e-race bikes fit their needs.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: