Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
1st World Problems

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JaRok2300

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:27 am    Post subject: 1st World Problems Reply with quote

This is the first year I've had 2 power meters, a Powertap on my road bike and a P2M on the TT, which is now permanently on the turbo in the shed for winter.

I use a Garmin Fenix 2 which doesn't have bike profiles so I have to search for the power meter each time I change bikes which has created a bit of a nuisance. I only have a small garden and I can't get the Powertap far enough away to stop the Fenix showing the error message "Multiple Power Meters detected" and not connecting to the P2M.

I've resorted to taking the road bike to the end of the garden then I have to walk down the drive until I'm too far from the Powertap but still close enough to the P2M for it to switch over.

There may be a technical solution to this that I don't know but whilst pondering asking the question in the Gear forum it struck me, we can get a bit wrapped up in all this sh*t and lose sight of its importance. ST anyone?
jibberjim

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stop waking your powertap up?
tuckandgo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: 1st World Problems Reply with quote

JaRok2300 wrote:
This is the first year I've had 2 power meters, a Powertap on my road bike and a P2M on the TT, which is now permanently on the turbo in the shed for winter.

I use a Garmin Fenix 2 which doesn't have bike profiles so I have to search for the power meter each time I change bikes which has created a bit of a nuisance. I only have a small garden and I can't get the Powertap far enough away to stop the Fenix showing the error message "Multiple Power Meters detected" and not connecting to the P2M.

I've resorted to taking the road bike to the end of the garden then I have to walk down the drive until I'm too far from the Powertap but still close enough to the P2M for it to switch over.

There may be a technical solution to this that I don't know but whilst pondering asking the question in the Gear forum it struck me, we can get a bit wrapped up in all this sh*t and lose sight of its importance. ST anyone?

Train by feel Shocked ?!

But more seriously I binned closely tracking my workouts about two years ago. I'd broadly plateaued and got fed up of being fed up at not smashing out new PBs or being on a continual upward curve during a training block. Arguably I haven't got any worse when it counts (on the start line) and I enjoy training more by just focusing on the 'doing'.
iwaters

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As jibberjim says make sure the PT isn't being woken up. If you are going to say I don't touch it and don't wake it up then you might need to update the firmware. Some of the old software on the powertaps had a fault where by they didn't go to sleep and drained the battery. You may have that.
JaRok2300

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to move the road bike to use the turbo trainer as there isn't room in the shed so the PT always wakes up (or I have the firmware issue but the battery lasts for years so I don't think it's awake all the time)
Jorgan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jibberjim wrote:
Stop waking your powertap up?

What he said Smile
stenard

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It surprises me that you don't get an option to choose which of the two sensors it's detecting you want to use. That's what the 920xt does. I thought that was a necessary change when they switched to sensor pooling rather than profiles. I'd be screwed if that wasnt the case. I have multiple different HRM's and switch between them, even during brick sessions. I pop the new one on, I get the multiple sensor notification, and I select the one I want for my next session.

Are you still using your road bike regularly? Regardless, the easiest way would seem to just be delete the PT power meter. Even if you are still riding that every so often, when you want to use that you wont have woken up the P2M and so it should be a matter of 20s to reconnect the PT. A few button presses would be far easier than walking 30/40/50 yards around the garden trying to lose signal to the PT every time.
JaRok2300

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the road bike most weekends and the turbo a couple of week nights so after using the turbo yesterday it will be fine for the rest of this week until I use the road bike again on Sunday.

I don't think I have the option to delete either PM as it just reconnects to whichever I used last or does a new search for whatever it can find. I found a couple of threads about people not being able to connect to spin bikes unless they got there first and theirs was the only one awake. I don't think the Fenix 2 has any settings to specify power meters, it just connects to anything around.

On a positive note I'm impressed with the range having read threads about Stages not being able to reach a head unit on the tri bars. Oh well, where's that Black Friday thread about a new watch Wink
iwaters

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a reusable zip tie and secure the rear wheel so it doesn't spin and wake up the PT when you move it?
stenard

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, ok. I just read a bit of the DCR review. I now see what you mean and it doesnt have sensor pooling. Clearly that's rubbish based on the latest generation of watches, but the F2 is obviously rather old now.

In that case, surely the best way is to just rearrange the shed to put the road bike behind the trainer, rather than the other way around. That way, when you use the trainer you dont move the road bike so the PT doesnt get activated, and when you do need to use the road bike, you'll be heading outside well away from the shed anyway, so can connect it a bit away from the shed/house?
JaRok2300

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No room in shed to rearrange, everything is wedged in and motorbike is other side of turbo. Road bike has to come out then turbo dragged to the middle of the floor to make enough room to ride it.

The whole post was a bit tongue in cheek really as it's hardly the end of the world and looks like I might be stuck with my little trips to the end of the garden until I get a new watch.

I'm definitely counting it as a brick session though and if I have to go back and get it at the end surely that's a duathlon!
jibberjim

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iwaters wrote:
Get a reusable zip tie and secure the rear wheel so it doesn't spin and wake up the PT when you move it?

Or just use your hand...
Jorgan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get the PT on ebay; the only solution.
stenard

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't quite see how you can have space to use the turbo in the shed, but not rearrange it so that the road bike is the other side of the turbo and therefore doesnt need to be moved when you use the turbo? But as you say, it's a first world problem.

You could always just pick up a dirt cheap bike computer (you can get edge 500's for pittence) and just connect the turbo PM to that one for the indoor sessions?
explorerJC

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have to switch all bluetooth functions off apart from the one i wish to use when using my Tacx with Zwift...

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2018 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: