Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Training? What training?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 45, 46, 47 ... 59, 60, 61  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jorgan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another consistent week for me, ending in a PB up Alpe du Zwift last night. It 'amazes' me, the number of sub-40 minute riders around; they must all be legit Rolling Eyes
mattsurf

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
Another consistent week for me, ending in a PB up Alpe du Zwift last night. It 'amazes' me, the number of sub-40 minute riders around; they must all be legit Rolling Eyes

Zwift police are trying crack down on zwift dopers, using algorithms, and access to other sites to validate some of these claims

Good week training for me too:
Consistently hitting 3.4W/KG in Tour De Zwift rides (55min-1hr of pain and suffering)

Nice interval session on Wednesday, maintaining 3:30m/km interval pace (apparently i should be running a 38min 10k, which doesnt seem too likely)

Great tour of Lugano and Como, with an average 280W (32mins, 8.1km, 540m) on climb to San Fedele d'Intelvi

Weight down 0.3kg

Now just swimming to sort out

Last edited by mattsurf on Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:12 am; edited 2 times in total
FatPom

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
JaRok2300 wrote:
Finally scab-free following tumble before Christmas so managed first swim of the year on Saturday.

Depending on how big the graze is, I have used hydrocolloid dressings; they are brilliant. Swimming the next day! They speed-up the healing process too.

In Oz, I used to use a product called Betadine, not sure if you can get it here ut was very good for healing.
JaRok2300

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[Depending on how big the graze is, I have used hydrocolloid dressings; they are brilliant. Swimming the next day! They speed-up the healing process too.[/quote]

It was most of my thigh to begin with but thankfully the majority of that was relatively shallow with just a tennis ball sized bit that had gone really deep.

I was down to just the deep bit by New Year so started turbo/running but decided to wait the swimming out as didn't really want to stick anything to the newly healed area around it.

My swimming's OK so I wasn't too fussed about getting back as long as I could start doing some exercise and work on the weight I'd put on, which I could have done without as wasn't starting from a good place anyway.
Roscoemck

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sooooo, decided to get a bit more specific this year with training rather than being so ad hoc.

Did a threshold test on the bike last night and put the results into the BC calculator.

FTP 174 Sad
W/KG 2.29

Given I'm doing a sprint in May, I have 3 days, possibly 4 available for cycling training. This is where the biggest improvement will be and where I can gain a few minutes.

I'll be following a BC training plan, mainly using the Wattbike, but at least one outdoor ride a week.

As always, any advice gratefully accepted
Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roscoemck wrote:

Get your arse up the Crow Road over the Campsies, do a loop the other side then come back over. Under no circumstances should you stop in Lennoxtown Wink Very Happy

Did that whilst we were up there over Christmas.
stenard

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roscoemck wrote:
Did a threshold test on the bike last night and put the results into the BC calculator.

Out of interest, what was the test protocol and the raw results.

One thing I would say is that the very first time I did proper testing, I definitely didnt perform my best. There is something to be said for "learning" how to test, both in terms of getting the most out of yourself physically, but also realising what the pain feels like and that actually you can keep going even when everything is telling you to stop.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^ Zwift is also a pretty good motivator; concentrating on catching the next person in front of you is a nice boost. My effort on the Alpe on Sunday indicates I might need to test again (56 min at just over 92.5% FTP).
jibberjim

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
^^ Zwift is also a pretty good motivator; concentrating on catching the next person in front of you is a nice boost.

how do you even see "the next person" you just endlessly ride around with dozens and dozens of other people don't you? Most of them riding around at 1-2w/kg, so you just have an endless stream of people to pass?

Or are some of the routes really quiet?
Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jibberjim wrote:
Jorgan wrote:
^^ Zwift is also a pretty good motivator; concentrating on catching the next person in front of you is a nice boost.

how do you even see "the next person" you just endlessly ride around with dozens and dozens of other people don't you? Most of them riding around at 1-2w/kg, so you just have an endless stream of people to pass?

Road to the Sky is generally fairly quiet, as it's L12 plus and people are spread-out a lot more due to the gradient. You can also see how far ahead the next person is on the dashboard. I find on a weekend, the volume of people is about right.

The other day, the only person to pass me was some Italian doing over 5w/kg; if he can average that all the way up, I think he should be Chris Froome's training partner Rolling Eyes
mattsurf

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jibberjim wrote:
Jorgan wrote:

In a race you tend to settle in with a group who are riding at a similar pace, you can put in an effort to ride from the front of the group and either brake away or try to drag the group along to catch the next group down the road. A gap of just 5-10 seconds can be really hard work to close, and sitting on the front, or riding solo, you need to push out massively more watts than just sitting in the peloton

Alternatively, sit with the peloton, and wait till you get an incline, then push like mad, here it is possible to take a lot of time out of the group ahead.

In my last Tour De Zwift, yesterday, my trainer kept dropping out for 2-3 seconds a time, each time it happened I had to push 350W to catch back up with the Peloton, but once there was riding at 210-220W

There are ways, like this, to make Zwift riding more enjoyable, but there is a definite technique which is different to riding on the road
Roscoemck

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
Roscoemck wrote:

Get your arse up the Crow Road over the Campsies, do a loop the other side then come back over. Under no circumstances should you stop in Lennoxtown Wink Very Happy

Did that whilst we were up there over Christmas.

Brutal road!

I live on the other side of Glasgow, we have some lovely hills over here that I like to play on!
Roscoemck

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stenard wrote:
Roscoemck wrote:

Out of interest, what was the test protocol and the raw results.

One thing I would say is that the very first time I did proper testing, I definitely didnt perform my best. There is something to be said for "learning" how to test, both in terms of getting the most out of yourself physically, but also realising what the pain feels like and that actually you can keep going even when everything is telling you to stop.

Ok, so here come the stupid questions! Define raw results/protocol? I have all the numbers saved, what am I looking at?

Was actually surprised I managed to hold it to the end and don't feel worse today
Roscoemck

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
^^ Zwift is also a pretty good motivator; concentrating on catching the next person in front of you is a nice boost. My effort on the Alpe on Sunday indicates I might need to test again (56 min at just over 92.5% FTP).

Zwift would be great, but I'm using the Wattbike at the gym, not sure it's compatible. Budget is also an issue!
stenard

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roscoemck wrote:
Ok, so here come the stupid questions! Define raw results/protocol? I have all the numbers saved, what am I looking at?

Was actually surprised I managed to hold it to the end and don't feel worse today

Well, what did you do? You said you did a threshold test, so what procedure (/protocol) did you follow? There are a wide range of options ... 20 minute test, 2*8 minute test, ramp test, etc.

In terms of raw results, I am guessing you have some power numbers from specific segments of the test that you then said you put in the BC calculator. I was interested to know what they were, but also any power numbers you have from earlier segments of the test.

For example, on the 20 minute test, it's generally accepted you need a 5 minute hard effort before the 20 minute segment, to eliminate some of the anaerobic contribution to the main test interval that follows. If you go too easy in that 5 minutes, (or maybe even too hard), that could impact your subsequent result.

One thing to note in general is to try and ensure repeatability of whatever testing you decide to do. That way, even if the results are necessarily comparable with others, they are at least comparable to yourself and you can track your own development.

EDIT - I just located this by googling british cycling threshold test. That seems like a pretty brutal one, being the final 20mins of a 30min solid effort. That's very different from a standard 20 minute test. Not sure if this was the one you used, but it at least gives an idea of what I meant by "protocol".

Last edited by stenard on Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 45, 46, 47 ... 59, 60, 61  Next
Page 46 of 61

Jump to: