Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
IRONMAN Hamburg 2019 - Rumble in the M45 Jungle
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tuckandgo wrote:
Yes I do, and it is one of the reasons I was reluctant to enter. Unfortunately due to family logistics it's the best fit this year.

Well, the hottest two summers I can remember in the last 10 years (2013 & last year) were both preceded by colder than normal winters, especially last year. So if it stays this mild, maybe we'll be okay.
Whisk

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
tuckandgo wrote:
Soooo

Run looks 'good' (not too many twists and turns, not up a road and back).

Bike potentially good - a couple of dead turns but I presume silky roads and plenty of uber bikers to sit just the right distance behind

Swim (?) Anyone know Hamburg? Seems to be in some kind of river harbour. Is there a current? Fresh water I presume.

Am feeling quite up for it now.

You know that the swim was cancelled last year due to blue-green Algae? It's in a lake, that is apparently very murky!

I would imagine Ironman will be VERY keen not to have two swim cancellations in a row, as that would probably kill the event; I'm sure it's why the event has taken it's time to fill this year (still tier 3).

Expect to have someone tipping bleach into the lake in mid July if things look a bit dodgy Laughing

How did they run the race without a swim? Presumably as some sort of a duathlon, but logisitically it must have been quite hard to get that many people onto the bike course without them starting in big packs.
WhittleFit

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whisk wrote:
How did they run the race without a swim? Presumably as some sort of a duathlon, but logisitically it must have been quite hard to get that many people onto the bike course without them starting in big packs.

Yes, run/bike/run.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uHWehKP6bM
JeffB

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The water when I did the ITU looked a bit manky from the side, not as bad as when you were in although we didn't go far past the bridge, so not sure about the rest of it.

Seem to recall the low sun being a problem though.

Jeff
Jorgan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So things are reaching fever-pitch here in the Hamburg thread. Is it too early for a 'who's going' list? Very Happy
JeffB

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too early for a water temp\quality question?

Jeff
Jorgan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JeffB wrote:
Too early for a water temp\quality question?

Hopefully sponsored by a Chemical company producing Cupricide this year!
Jorgan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's me having to find new flights to Hamburg after BMI went into administration yesterday Rolling Eyes At least I have plenty of notice I suppose.
JeffB

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a bit annoying, aren't a few vultures already picking off the profitable routes?

Could you drive and get the ferry? That's what I'd probably do as flight's aren't easy from oop north unless you want to go to some sunny sh*thole that is essentially Blackbpool with heat.

Jeff
Jorgan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JeffB wrote:
That's a bit annoying, aren't a few vultures already picking off the profitable routes?

Could you drive and get the ferry? That's what I'd probably do as flight's aren't easy from oop north unless you want to go to some sunny sh*thole that is essentially Blackbpool with heat.

It's a bit of a drive from this part of the country. Probably nearly 5h to the Tunnel for starters, then a trek to Hamburg from Calais. Easier to just fly from LHR, which looks like the most practical option now. Google reckons a 12h drive via the tunnel, which is a 2-day job.
Whisk

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
JeffB wrote:

It's a bit of a drive from this part of the country. Probably nearly 5h to the Tunnel for starters, then a trek to Hamburg from Calais. Easier to just fly from LHR, which looks like the most practical option now. Google reckons a 12h drive via the tunnel, which is a 2-day job.

Probably best to add a couple of days travelling time each way to take account of a no-deal Brexit Rolling Eyes Wink
Jorgan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whisk wrote:
Probably best to add a couple of days travelling time each way to take account of a no-deal Brexit Rolling Eyes Wink

Project fear. You 'Rebel Scum' that live inside the M25 need to get with the programme. Leave won.

Very Happy
Whisk

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
Whisk wrote:

Project fear. You 'Rebel Scum' that live inside the M25 need to get with the programme. Leave won.

Very Happy

Good point, I'll keep my treacherous remoaner thoughts to myself in future Wink . I had plenty of practice of that when I was visiting my parents Oop North over Christmas Rolling Eyes
Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whisk wrote:

Good point, I'll keep my treacherous remoaner thoughts to myself in future Wink . I had plenty of practice of that when I was visiting my parents Oop North over Christmas Rolling Eyes

Same here. Every time a big business goes bust or decides to leave the UK at the moment and cites Brexit as a factor, they are just using Brexit as a 'scape goat' apparently Smile
Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, now booked with Eurowings LHR-HAM for the same dates. Expedia did it all for me and refunded the original flight to my credit card. The operator made it sound like Expedia also paid for the replacement flights, even when I questioned it. We'll see!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: