Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Zwift, anyone from TT land on it?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 17, 18, 19  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whisk

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wheezy wrote:
mattsurf wrote:
Jorgan wrote:
Why is everyone not moving to 'Peloton'?

...and saddle...well done guys, you smashed it!

Just saw and advert for Peloton in my FB feed... why are they all moving their upper bodies so much? surely the point about riding efficiently is to keep your upper body stable and not waste energy, or increase aerodynamic drag, if riding outside

Although I’ve never been to a spin class myself, from what friends have told me I’m not sure they are always that ‘cycling’ focussed.

"Spin class" is a very broad spectrum. Peloton looks to be very much at the "aerobics on a bike" end of that spectrum. The fact that bikes have a rack behind the saddle for you to put your dumbbells on should tell you everything you need to know Rolling Eyes . People who do that sort of class are not interested in "cycling" as a sport, but they do want to feel that they are sweating lots and doing an awesome workout. If you're in a spin studio and the instructor walks in wearing not a single piece of cycling-specific clothing, this is probably what you're in for.

At the other end of the scale you have power-based classes that are very cycling-specific. My gym runs "coach by colour" classes. The bikes have power meters, you do periodic tests to determine a figure for FTP and the classes are based around riding in different power zones. The instructors teaching these classes usually cycle on the road too.

I do quite a few of the power-based classes at my gym because it's convenient and more interesting that sitting on the Wattbike by myself, but if there's a substitute instructor and it looks like it's going to be more the former type of class, I usually walk out pretty quickly.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ttowel wrote:

I've done about 7 rides now, a few races and ride around 4.5 w/kg as solid training efforts but always end up 7 mins plus down on riders putting out less than 3w/kg over 20 miles so don't quite get how it works yet.

Yes. I've just looked at a screenshot of a guy riding 4.7w/kg and the rest of the group are about 1w/kg less. How does he not go off the front? Not that I trust his numbers, but even so, it seems odd.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whisk wrote:
I do quite a few of the power-based classes at my gym because it's convenient and more interesting that sitting on the Wattbike by myself.

I wonder if my Nuffield does those classes too. The problem for me is timing though; I have to drop/collect kids 3 days a week, so that means lunchtime sessions only (gym right opposite work thankfully). The gym is pretty quiet during the day, which is a total bonus in the pool!
jibberjim

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
Yes. I've just looked at a screenshot of a guy riding 4.7w/kg and the rest of the group are about 1w/kg less. How does he not go off the front? Not that I trust his numbers, but even so, it seems odd.

Absolute watts matter a lot in the zwift algorithm more than in real life. In real life, those low weight people will have a corresponding lower CdA from being smaller - the zwift algorithms (appear) to ignore that, so the 100kg and the 45kg are assumed to be as aerodynamic - or at least not scaling in a real life reality. The people behind also get the same draft benefit no matter who is in front, unlike reality.

The impact of equipment also doesn't seem fully right, and seems to do unrealistic things in groups (so you get all that aero benefit reducing the watts required on top of all the benefit from drafting. These things are not actually additive.

With Otter, I made her 70kg's rather than just going up to the 45kg minimum as at the low weight you just couldn't ride with anyone outside of uphill.
JeffB

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
JeffB wrote:

Just need my Wi-Fi booster tomorrow to get a signal in the garage.

I ended-up just using a powerline adaptor, as our walls are thick stone; I run a network cable from the garage socket to the laptop for added reliability. If I used a wireless adaptor in the garage I guess I could use the Companion app on my phone too, but I don't really need to be on my phone all the time! (generally the powerline kits will come with network cable adaptors as std, not wifi)

I tried using a wifi booster in our previous house which had thin modern walls, and the garage was about 15m from the router, and it really struggled. I would go powerline, if the garage is on the ring-main.

My laptop doesn't have a NIC, although you can buy a dongle (it's getting pretty expensive without the subscription). The garage mains are on a different fuse so I'm guessing the powerline kits probably don't transmit via the fusebox, I'm no sparky but I'd guess it's a different ring for the garage.

With a bit of luck the booster at the back of the house will work, although I could always run a long network cable into the garage but that's a lot of faff.

Jeff
ttowel

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a wifi power line running from the house through a 20m extension lead then plugged the other end into laptop, works absolutely fine.

My ant stick is the old 310 dongle, which works with Stages, Wattbike and HRM

Didnt need to buy anything new

Pick up something like this, cheaper than the dongle alone.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Garmin-forerunner-310XT-GPS-Sports-Running-Multisports-Watch/173776136572?epid=1004185048&hash=item2875dd697c:g:rzwAAOSwXTVcVxQK
JeffB

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally managed to get on, did about 19k last night, easy to get carried away and go a bit faster than planned.

It reduces the boredom of the turbo a bit, problem is after about 25 minutes I sweat so much I have to take the glasses off and can see anything!

Going for another go soon.

There's no minimum subscription is there?

Jeff
Jorgan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JeffB wrote:

There's no minimum subscription is there?

Jeff

I think you can stop & start as you wish; you just pay a whole month at a time.
JeffB

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll probably subscribe for a month or two when I get back from a holiday I'm having next week.

Problem is that an easy ride tends to turn into something competitive so it's probably a quick way to overtrain!

Jeff
Jorgan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JeffB wrote:
I'll probably subscribe for a month or two when I get back from a holiday I'm having next week.

Problem is that an easy ride tends to turn into something competitive so it's probably a quick way to overtrain!

Jeff

I literally just do a race a week on it, and that's all. Good Threshold sessions though!
straightouttabrompton

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a free zwift footpod through BTF and went to the gym to give it a go this morning. Got there and realised the gym treadmills have Bluetooth so probably didn't need a footpod after all, but never mind.

Ran for 15 mins using my phone to run the app. Can't say I found it any more interesting/ engaging because of zwift, but that is probably the longest I've ever run on a treadmill. My main problem with it was that with the phone sat on the treadmill display / shelf, it's too low to look at really. I'm fairly tall which probably doesn't help, but if I wanted to look at the phone screen while I was running, I had to look down at a much steeper angle than I would normally. It didn't feel great from a run form perspective. Maybe if you had your own set up with a flat screen at eye level it would be better. But I don't think it's for me really.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did two races in three days (Sun & Tue), love it! Very Happy

I do have to remember to take it steady in the following days though, as sometimes you forget that you did actually just did 50-60 mins at threshold, rather than just 'play' a cycling game!
ttowel

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You tried Alpe Du Zwift?

Quite like it, rather than racing.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ttowel wrote:
You tried Alpe Du Zwift?

I have a couple of times, yes. If I've only got about an hour, the Alpe is a bit long for me, by the time I'm at the start of the climb. PB is just under 56 iirc.
Doca

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
ttowel wrote:
You tried Alpe Du Zwift?

I have a couple of times, yes. If I've only got about an hour, the Alpe is a bit long for me, by the time I'm at the start of the climb. PB is just under 56 iirc.

We should have a TT Alpe Du Zwift leaderboard.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
Page 12 of 19

Jump to: