Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Ultra / Trail Running - General Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 152, 153, 154

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ed_m

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gingerbongo wrote:
Well i've just set out my stall for my season ... well i say season, i mean my one big race of the year! haha

Just booked on to The Exodus. A nice 100 mile winter ultra that runs the length of the Beacons Way. Looks pretty epic, and being at the start of December, who knows what weather may be waiting!! I do love a toughy! There's a mini crew of us from my newly formed running club heading out, so should be a good laugh regardless.

Oh nice.... might need something to get my legs going after PBP.
Especially if I take the Dead Sheep place for next year Twisted Evil
FatPom

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm building a 17wk 'plan' for RttK. Started yesterday with a 2hr easy run, 19km.
ed_m

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FatPom wrote:
I'm building a 17wk 'plan' for RttK. Started yesterday with a 2hr easy run, 19km.

WRONG !!!!

Always start a new plan with a rest day.
FatPom

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ed_m wrote:
FatPom wrote:

WRONG !!!!

Good point, well made Very Happy
gingerbongo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any reason for a 17 week plan?

I'm completely planless at the mo. I have a rough idea in my mind what i want and need to do, but it has to be totally flexible with my current lifestyle.

Not even sure i'll plan for the Exodus, other than ensuring i get a couple of big all nighter adventures in at some point.

That dead sheep thing is just mental!! haah
doug

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ed_m wrote:
FatPom wrote:

WRONG !!!!

And start every day with a new plan Very Happy

I tend not to make detailed plans, life gets in the way, instead I just have some vague time/distance targets and some intermediate races to keep it real. Aiming for the South Downs Way 100 in June.

Amersham 50km in the Chilterns for me coming up on Saturday, just planning to plod around easy, as I have picked up a couple of minor niggles. Then the Devil's Challenge (SDW in 3 days) in May as a recce for the SDW100.
FatPom

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gingerbongo wrote:
Any reason for a 17 week plan?

I'm completely planless at the mo. I have a rough idea in my mind what i want and need to do, but it has to be totally flexible with my current lifestyle.

Not even sure i'll plan for the Exodus, other than ensuring i get a couple of big all nighter adventures in at some point.

That dead sheep thing is just mental!! haah

None that makes any sense Wink I just figured I needed some kind countback and 12 weeks seemed too short.

My basic plan is to gradually increase the kms and build to a 5wk volume block of circa 70-80kms (not sure if that will work) then a two week taper to RttK, then just a bit of this and that until RttS.

I want to keep the riding up, maybe some TTs but I know my top end power will/is suffering.

I dunno, just making it up really Very Happy
JeffB

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just over a week until my 50 and I was getting a few odd feelings in the knee earlier in the week, probably from a lot of walking around.

Been stretching\foam roller\massage etc., and an easy 6k yesterday went well.

Got a run planned on Saturday and will see how that goes.

Almost certainly going to start even if I've got to walk most of it, but hoping it won't come to that.

Jeff
tunster

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good luck Jeff
FatPom

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did the Reading HM today. 1:38:31

That's the last of my road races (at least planned) time to switch to LSD trail on the weekends now.
JeffB

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first (and last(probably)) Ultra. Hardmoors 50 (53 miles) 2019

I had mixed buildup with a cough\sore throat\sinus issue that never got much beyond annoying but was always threatening for about 3 weeks before the race, and travelling probably didn't help so I was careful about when I trained, then I went for a run while I was away and my knee felt a bit painful, a couple of very painful massages got it sorted though before it got worse. So at the start of race week I decided to have 3 complete days off to try and get rid of the sinus problem before the race, which just about did the trick. Although my HR\HRV were generally fine.

The forecast for race day wasn't good and in the end conditions were horrendous, heavy rain for about 6 hours and winds gusting up to 40mph (think it was a categorised storm), almost blowing us over in the most exposed parts, I wrapped up warm and the conditions didn't bother me that much, although after Chicago, Louisville and a TT the week before I'm getting used to racing in horrible conditions. I started with a merino base layer, waterproof cycling top (Gabba) and a waterproof jacket, also wore some showerproof leggings I'd planned to take off at some point, but never did.

This picture was after about 10 miles and shows the wet conditions.

https://www.sportsunday.co.uk/hm50-10057

I hadn't done a huge amount of training, my biggest week was only 70k, with a longest run of about 21 miles, just over 3 hours, but I'd done plenty of walking while I was away about 2 weeks before the race. The race was more about completing an ultra, and the fact it was where I normally do a fair bit of running kept it low key. I had planned to recce the last 10 miles which I'd never been on, but didn't get chance.

But I knew the start well, and it's important to get near the front as you are soon on a narrow track before turning right on a stile, people near the back took nearly 20 minutes to get over it. There was just over 400 starters.

I made a few stupid mistakes that cost me quite a bit of time, I started with some waterproof socks, that were useless and my feet were sliding around in my shoes, this was making it awkward running, especially downhill, and I could feel my little toe rubbing, at about 22 miles there was a cafe with a bench outside so I decided to change socks as a friend who joined me for a few miles had a spare pair, the blister was already bleeding so I put a pad on it, and with the new socks I never really felt it again. This stop probably cost about 5 minutes or so.

The flagstones on the path were also very greasy and slippy so the descents were slower than usual and it was tiring on the quads. But I was generally feeling good though and kept eating regularly.

There was few runners I kept changing places with.

From about 28 miles my left knee was getting quite painful, particularly on any slight descent, I knew it was almost certainly a tight quad or hamstring so had a few stops to stretch. I then got to the second aid station, where I filled my bottles with mountain fuel and started on the flat coke, I didn't hang around here too long.

After the stop there's a long 2.5 mile drag upwards which is the last big climb on the route, after that most of the route is generally flat or downhill and I'd hoped I could get back in about 4 hours, light permitting. There is another little dig at the white horse, a chalk horse on the hillside with about 8 miles to go. As we approached this I saved one lad from a DQ, he went straight on, but luckilly heard me when I shouted him back, he'd gone past me about 8 miles earlier then had a bad patch and I caught him again, he then got over it and disappeared.

At this point I was pretty much on my own, I was dropping the person behind me and not obviously catching people in front.

I was still on for about 10:45 or less when I missed a turn with about 4 miles to go, it was getting dark and this part wasn't well signposted, and I've never ran this bit before, I followed the road and after a while I decided I was off course, when I got my phone out I had missed calls and texts saying I was going the wrong way (people were tracking me!). Luckily a friend called me and said if I headed back down the road I was on, I'd get back on the route in about 1 mile. By the time I was back on track I'd lost about 50-55 minutes and done an extra 4k and more ascent, I was also running out of fluid but had some food left. I then started having a little wobble so had most of a pack of shot bloks which worked fairly quickly.

I then saw a car who was helping with the race so I checked I was on the route and they said yes, I then decided to change my headtorch (which was only 3 weeks old and fully charged) to a brighter light and it failed! It had got cold and discharged (the same thing happened to my phone just after my friend called me). Luckily there were a few runners coming up so I ran alongside one of them to the finish, but I'd lost a few more minutes waiting for them and I'd have possibly ran a bit quicker, but was grateful they didn't mind me running with them (I did let him finish in front of me though).

So, overall, I finsihed in ~11:50, without the problems it could easily have been under 10:45 and I'd have been well inside the top 30. And that's despite the relentless headwind for the first 41 miles, if we'd done the route in reverse it would have been a lot quicker.

I was more frustrated than angry. But, given I didn't even go over 45 miles in a training week I can't be too disappointed, I didn't really feel in trouble for most of the race.

I generally feel fine today, the knee is painful, but I've had a massage, and I'm icing it, I think it will settle down in a day or two. My feet are also a bit sore, as is the blister but again they are improving quickly. I've felt a lot worse after road marathons, or ironman's.

Total distance 88.5k, 2900M ascent (includes my navigational blunderder)

https://www.strava.com/activities/2218172274

Not sure I'll be doing too many more, I also saw TC afterwards, he'd done about 10:35, so I wouldn't have been far behind a regular ultra runner.

Jeff
FatPom

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent work Jeff. This time of year in that weather, some navigation snafus are almost inevitable. Well done sticking it out. Trophy
Poet

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NICE WORK, JeffB Very Happy
Wells

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After some footwear advice from those with experience - all replies appreciated.

Making the transition to the trails this year in the Hampshire/Dorset area and entered for a trail marathon (Clarendon Way) in October. Mixture of muddy paths, packed trails and occasionally a mile or so on the road from home before reaching the trails. Really enjoying the variety but after 25km of sliding in the mud on Sunday fancied getting some trainers more specific for the task.

Feet on the smaller side so shops tend to have limited selection in my size so tend to end up ordering online and sending back. High arch and wide forefoot. Always tended to be happy with Asics Nimbus for the road.

Done some reading and left a little confused by all the marketing and lack of good online reviews (that I can find). 8mm lugs seem bit extreme for my requirements. Would 4mm not give me enough traction on muddy paths?

Thanks for your time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 152, 153, 154
Page 154 of 154

Jump to: