Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
drafting - Help?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DONA

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2003 6:33 pm    Post subject: drafting - Help? Reply with quote

Hiya,

I watched the Salford Triathlon this afternoon and I am now confused! Sad

Are you allowed to draft when cycling? I thought no, but after watching the elites on TV this morning, it seams that you can?

Please help!!
ed_m

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2003 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the answer is.....

you can if you're an elite.

but not if you're not

(by the way.. you're not) Wink

go figure
G

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2003 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Ed says, Elites can draft where as us mere mortals can't.

This is why they have a seperate race for these guys. Apparently they need to draft as it becomes too dificult to officiate Rolling Eyes

I would prefer it all to be a non drafting event, so it doesn't come down to who can run the fastest.

Cheers

G
DONA

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2003 8:58 pm    Post subject: thanks Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice. I totally agree that drafting should not be allowed. What if cycling is your best discipline tho? On the other hand, when your in a race, how do you stop urself from drafting. For example, the tri lastwek that I was in, myself and another girl were going up hill and we were very close to each others wheels. Should we have been side by side going up that hill, given tho that the road was being used for cars that this could have been dangerous.
ed_m

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2003 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rules are something like:

u shoudn't enter the area 10m behind another cyclist and 2or3m wide or something.

unless you're overtaking, in which case you have 30seconds to get through.

once you are past it's the other person's responsibility to drop back out of that zone.

or so goes the theory.... if no one's looking however (and more often than not.. they're not) Rolling Eyes
Sue

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2003 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy hi ya,
some of the Ironmen elite don't draft and its good to see -mind you in the NZealand IM one of the women had a chat to one of the guys to encourage him, was by his side and was penalised 3 mins -a bit hard really Exclamation Exclamation
Robert

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2003 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For my 2cents' worth, I still think drafting defeats the spirit of doing a triathlon - Stuart Hayes stood no chance of a podium finish, as the chasing pack were drafting and saving their legs for the run. When it saves 30% energy, it gives an unfair advantage to good runners as they can afford to let a 2min gap open up... Mad
Daz

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2003 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh god we're on to the (contentious) issue of drafting again.

While I agree that there is an unfair advantage placed on runners in a pro tri race, I would personally like to have the opportunity to take part in the odd open, draft-legal race. If it were made legal, a few races on the calendar would be great for those who fancy a change. Could be done off road. If you don't like it - then you just don't take part - simple as that!

Did anyone, like me, urge on Stuart Hayes and that american (Weaning?) in Salford the other week? That's just what the draft-legal tri races need - some gutsy athletes who are willing to break away on the bike and hold on for dear life in the run. It was a shame Weaning had cramps because if they worked together on the run, well who knows!
Maybe a good partnership could form there between the youngsters and encourage a few others to do the same in the bike. A break of 3 or more would save just that little bit more energy for the run and hopefully mean they could all come through and teach the others a lesson! Cool
Robert

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2003 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But if you're a good runner and you see another sprint away from the pack, you'll latch onto his wheel and spoil the break. Breakaways only work in cycling when there are no challengers in the leading break. AJ knew that Hayes was no threat and could easily give him 2mins start. Hayes will never win anything unless he improves his run, regardless of how good a swimmer/cyclist he is.

Best if we agree to disagree Rolling Eyes - it's the classic cyclist v runner battle! Twisted Evil
Daz

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2003 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didnt work in swansea though did it!
Good old Jenkins Smile
Cougie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2003 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree that drafting does almost negate the whole bike leg, but unless you have a longer swim to break the bunch up more, drafting is going to be hard to avoid. Looking at the London Tri coverage on the Beeb - there were riders almost coasting along. Unfair on those that do the work, but it will happen !
Robert

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2003 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've seen the London Tri already? I though it wasn't on until tomorrow Confused

Must admit that there would have to be "waves" of starts - 300 cyclists all roughly with same swim time would be havoc on the roads Twisted Evil
Cougie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2003 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doh !

London/Salford - are they different places then ?

And where is East Angular - is that abroad ????
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: