Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Breast Stroke Triathlons

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ratboy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2003 3:25 pm    Post subject: Breast Stroke Triathlons Reply with quote

Myself and at least six others would love to compete in triathlons but have always been put off by the fact that none of us can swim front crawl particularly well. Why don't race organisers include a breast stroke category. I have spoken with many people who would love to see this introduced.
TT
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2003 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ratboy,

Loads of people compete in triathlons using breast stroke. There is no rule that says that you have to do front crawl it's just that most people find that it is their fastest and most efficient stroke.

I've also seen loads of decent breaststrokers beating people doing front crawl Smile

TT
Sue

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2003 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

go for it Ratboy and "friends" Smile
as TT says there are always people doing breaststroke in Tri's, always amazed at how many. Some, like I did last year do a length of breast stroke then a length of crawl but many do less crawl. And a good breast stroke can be faster than a poor front crawl. Embarassed So no problems, get your applications in next season Wink
ed_m

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2003 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there's not a breaststroke category because...

in a pool swim you predict a time.. if you're predicted time involves breast stroke it's likely to be slower than average so you'll be going off with similarly paced people.... and hence not getting in the way

if its open water.... be wise enough to keep out the way to avoid getting swum over.... there's enough for everyone to settle down at their respective speeds.
ratboy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2003 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I realise what you are saying but my point is that several of my friends and I feel we could be competative and not just make up the numbers if there was a breast stroke category. A good front crawl will always beat a good breast stroke. Three of us have competed in biathlons run-bike-run and done very well but would like to try longer triathlons especially an ironman.
ed_m

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2003 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so far as i know tri swim is freestyle so do whatever's quickest....
....crawl's not so bad to pick up... join a club.. get some coaching and you'd be amazed

i was.
Robert

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2003 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ratboy - I wish we could swim with flippers, which would make me much more competitive. If it weren't for the length of the swim, I'd have entered Sherborne! I'm sure others would wish the bike leg could be done on MTBs and runs to be on treadmills, etc. according to whatever is their preference.

Triathlon's principally about self-improvement, giving your best and enjoying the experience. Competition is something best left to the elites
Chris

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2003 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think having different categories for different strokes would be too complicated, and only really cater for the minority - especially as the competitive racers will seek to improve their frontcrawl and then swim that instead. You are allowed to swim what stroke you like, ride almost what you like and run at whatever speed you like. Creating new categories for every different participant requirement would be chaos. I'd enter the race with a log flume, a downhill only freewheel bike section and a short run between two pubs.
Daz

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2003 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a good idea rat-boy but like said before, would just complicate things further. I think we have enough on our plate with all the age-group categories and clydesdale, without throwing this in as well. Also, can you imagine trying to overtake a slow breast-stroke in your lane with another coming from the other direction......messy!
Robert

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2003 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another idea for a category for ya (following from thread on cheating): lane for motorised floats! 500m in less than 2mins Razz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: