Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
imagic trainer

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tom Chambers

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2003 2:23 pm    Post subject: imagic trainer Reply with quote

I am looking to get one to help me through the winter months, anyone got experience of the imagic trainer.
TT
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2003 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Catwalk,

I have one and I love it Very Happy

I upgraded my Grand Excel so the trainer is slightly different from the Imagic one but the software is still the same. I also have the steering column which is worth getting.

The only bad thing is that the number of sceneries currently available are fairly small. You can however make up as many courses as you like.

There is also an online league somewhere, I'll dig out the address so you can have a race.

Not sure how the prices compare with the computrainer which looks like it could do more to improve your cycling technique.

TT
Big Bopper

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2003 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TT, could you please tell me a bit more about turbo trainers?

I'm baffled! Confused I've just spent this evening looking for info on this, as my cycling is the worst part of the race for me. (Good timing for this thread, BTW Smile )

Is it a good thing to have wattage measured?
Or isn't a big deal for hopeless cyclists?
How do I increase the difficulty? (Resistance or gears?)
Do they all come with cycling computers to tell you this stuff?
With something like Tacx, can I get a basic model and "upgrade" or do I have to spend big bucks from the outset?
What is upgrading anyway? Is it a more complex computer, or is it the rolling unit?

As you can see, if I know nothing about something, I drown under a flood of questions! If you could help me, it would be much appreciated.

Just. Pretend. I. Am. Very. Stupid. And. Explain. Yourself. Very. Slowly.

BB
Big Bopper

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2003 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And just to show you the depths of my confusion.....

Is the Basic/Excel/Grand Excel just the computer, and do you have to buy the wheel spinning thing seperately.

BB
Robert

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2003 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Big Bopper"]Is it a good thing to have wattage measured?
Or isn't a big deal for hopeless cyclists?[/quote]

Wattage is the key indicator of output on a bike - now that cycling has gone scientific, it's the best way of ensuring gradual improvement and a smooth, efficient pedalling cycle (as opposed the up-down movement that only produces 60-70% power from your effort. No such thing as a hopeless cyclist - just an inefficient one. I wish I could afford a wattage meter on my bike....there's always room for improvement (even Lance regularly uses one in the winter break)

HTH
Cougie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2003 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Cateye Cyclosimulator Turbo measures watts.

No idea how accurate it is, but so long as its consistent, then it would be a good measure of fitness.
Tom Chambers

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 8:54 am    Post subject: Turbo Trainers Reply with quote

TT - thanks for the feedback.

BB - I am about to get my third turbo in 7 years, started off with a basic one which had a lever that adjusted the resitance of the magnet.

I bought the Tacx Swing last year and it was a vast improvement, not as noisy, more adjustment of resistance. You do not get any computers with the basic turbos, I have a Cateye Astrale so have cadance and speed from rear wheel.

Have decided to make the jump to the i-magic, two reasons, one power measurement (Chris Jones GB coach, recommened that every serious triathlete should measure power output in addition to HR, he is starting to see some big improvements in his athletes cycling as a result of measuring power), secondly the ability to analyse my training in more detail and also remove the boredom of cycling on turbos.

You can upgrade the Tacx basics to imagic, but you will not get the same level of info, or ability to alter power. (Not really worth it when you look at the costs). The ergo trainers can be upgraded to include the i-magic software etc. One point, I-magic requires a PC for you to use, the ergo trainers, Excel, Grand Excel don't.

Finally if you want to impress everyone next year get a turbo, mean you can train during the winter, improving fitness and technique.
Big Bopper

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You do not get any computers with the basic turbos

How about the Tacx Basic? Confused
Tom Chambers

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2003 1:09 pm    Post subject: Tacx Basic Reply with quote

BB,

The tacx basic is an ergo trainer, so yes you get a bike computer with it, when I refer to basic turbos, I mean mechanical braking units.
TT
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2003 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tacx have just brought a new one out called the "Flow". Have a look at www.xpedia.co.uk

I agree that it's very important to measure your power output, and from what I've read the Tacx trainers seem to be pretty accurate at doing this. You can also perform such wonderful tests as the 'Conconi' to determine your lactate threshold and monitor your improvement throughout the winter.

TT
TT
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2003 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To answer some of your points BB... though I think you may know the answers allready.

To adjust the resistance an ergo trainer will do this via a small computer that sits on your handlebars where as an entry level turbo will not allow you to change the resistance or manually do it via a gear type lever.

In my opinion it's worth getting an ergo trainer as you get sooooo much more feedback from it Very Happy

TT
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: