Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Tri season to short

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daz

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 1:37 pm    Post subject: Tri season to short Reply with quote

Is it me or does the racing season just seem to whizz by before you've had chance to put any finishing touches to your training. I never had the chance to increase my weekly mileage as planned last year and beginning of this one.

With only a couple of weeks left I find myself training towards just two high profile races. Then it's september and the usual rush of trying to fit in as many 'local' print tri's as possible.

Would be good if the season could be stretched a little. I dont mind cycling, running in a wet tri-suit in feb and october.....brrrr Crying or Very sad
Spen

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I generally select a few tri's during the year that I aim to do..generally one near the beginning to remind myself how hard they are and then aim to do one or 2 mid season and then do more towards the end when selection for teams is generally on everyones mind..
Daz

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to do more. I suppose if I had my own transportation I would.
Only prob with too many races is you dont get to put the training in... Mad
Chris

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the way round it is to do a wider variety of races - this year has been really short and prior engagements wiped out (or will) all the big races of the year. I did Eton in May, and that will be it.

I think there are ways around it, but dedicated triathlons don't seem to be the way. Running seems to be good all year round, and some of the more adventurous things, like the Grim Challenge, mountain marathons and so on, and some adventure races.

I have totally failed to follow any dedicated and structured training programme over the past two years. It was fine training only for running events, but now in triathlon, I just do a mixture of the three disciplines whenever I can. I have to live with the fact that I can't do much except keep fit - probably the reason I race for fun and don't get too competitive
Sue

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile
Darryl is trying to confuse us by his poll plus this thread, but I've coped with different replies on each Wink
The season does seem short and fitting training in with events, knowing when to /if to taper before an event is confusing Confused Possibly the season was thought up by a marathon runner since I find it fits in nicely with the London marathon training both ends Rolling Eyes
A bit like Chris I was fine training for purely running but fitting in all 3 disciplines is like spinning plates and keeping them all in the air at once. Exclamation I know better people than me on this forum manage and well done to them Razz I also do tri's for fun and try not to give myself a hard time -just trying to increase my distance from the end each time.
Daz

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found my season kicks off with runnign events too. And I like that. Means you can start racing earlier than you would if you just did tri's.
Stealth Attack

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2003 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, you want even more punishment and enjoy running? Why not extend the season at both ends by competing in duathlons (run/bike/run). These can start as early as February and as late as November/December. They are a great way of getting race sharp before the triathlon season starts in April/May and at the end of the season, offers you something different before you lapse into the festive break and put on that 2 stone that you then spend the rest of the winter/spring trying to shed!

See my blog at : http://www.tri247.com/columns/rob_holloway.html
Sue

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unearthed this one as I was ploughing thro' the old threads trying to see if there is one on bike buying Shocked -off on a tangent again Confused What it reminded me was that I saw some "winter triathlon" tucked at the end of the World Cup Long Dist. Tri in Ibiza (channel 5 earlier this week). Consisted of 7km run, 12km mountain bike then 10km skate ski -all in the snow - Surprised (obviously don't want to break the ice to do a swim leg Shocked ) So no good in this country but it does extend the season Exclamation
-now where was I Confused
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: